Titanium Nib From Bock

phisgr

I cannot really try to unscrew it, as there is no place were to grab it to do that. If I try to grab the nib+feed and rotate (as in the video you linked previously), only the nib and feed come out, while the housing stay put (by the way, if the unit is actually screwed in, as opposed to just friction, then that would be the end of the story, as the Bock unit is longer and would not fit if it had to pass through the screwing). I cannot really pull it either for the same reason. I tried to push it from the other end, but of course I was wary of applying too much force and break it. I can try the warm water later, but I would not be overly optimistic... I've tried washing the new nibs with dish soap, now I'll see whether that changes something.

Edited by Feanaaro

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drone

• Feanaaro

• phisgr

• tenney

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok... now all this has taken a tragicomical turn... I managed to lose the original nib down the drain, and also to break the converter I was using with the pen (probably because previously I deformed the feed unit while trying to push it out)... not to mention the table lamp I was using to make light on this unmitigated disaster... so, a nice evening :-)

I guess that the lesson is not to try to do things you don't know how to, especially if you are as clumsy as I am... and I will have to re-buy the Muji pen...

Meanwhile: anyone in or around New York interested in a couple of Bock 5mm nibs?

Ok... now all this has taken a tragicomical turn... I managed to lose the original nib down the drain, and also to break the converter I was using with the pen (probably because previously I deformed the feed unit while trying to push it out)... not to mention the table lamp I was using to make light on this unmitigated disaster... so, a nice evening :-)

I guess that the lesson is not to try to do things you don't know how to, especially if you are as clumsy as I am... and I will have to re-buy the Muji pen...

Meanwhile: anyone in or around New York interested in a couple of Bock 5mm nibs?

Sigh :headsmack: At least you didn't electrocute yourself... :yikes:

Just use a cartridge until you can replace the converter. Forget about removing the nib unit for now. Make some popcorn and watch some of the nib tweaking videos I provided in my last post. There's a lot you can do with the nib still in the pen. If you really want to dump the extra nibs, try putting them up on the For Sale area.

Sigh :headsmack: At least you didn't electrocute yourself... :yikes:

Not yet my friend, not yet...

I am now trying to use it an eyedropper, and it seems to work. I'll buy another one and a new converter some day, and probably will leave the new pen in its original state.

Edited by Feanaaro

I would not install a Bock Ti nib in any pen. The B size gave me trouble no matter what I did. Maybe a F or EF might work. Even different feeds/nib work did not result in something usable. I gave my last Bock Ti nib to Shawn Newton.

The size I used for the Muji was still a bit too long and wide I think. There are areas at the top of the inner cap that will allow the cap to go on all the way, but you have to find the correct rotation.

I think the Muji is a modern looking pen and it needs a modern looking nib. I would fit a Lamy safari nib and feed into a Schmidt sleeve (with the metal ring!). Without the metal ring, the cap will be loose and will not snap in.

The feed housing of the Muji is glued in. The glue will have to be dissolved to install a different sleeve. Heat might work though.

The Muji is also a good eyedropper if you use an o-ring.

Interesting... but wouldn't the heat melt the plastic along with the glue??

Also, would the lamy nib and feed fit into the Schmidt sleeve without modifications?

Edited by Feanaaro

The Lamy feed would require reducing its diameter to fit in the sleeve. That's a bit of work so I have not done it yet. I fitted a Lamy nib and feed in an old Aurora 88 and it works fantastically well, but I had to ream out the section to fit the feed. That's still less work than reducing the diameter of a feed. If one does not want to do the work, I would recommend just installing a Jowo or Schmidt unit with a short narrow nib and get on with things.

• 1 year later...

Bock standard #5 nibs fit into the Muji pen, though not perfectly. May require some adjustment, trying to bend the nib or the feed to make for a good contact.

• 3 years later...

Perhaps I was just lucky, however, today I was able to remove the feed and nib from my Muji fountain pen (it seemed to be friction fit). I then compared the Muji nib with a Bock #180 (standard size 5 1.1 italic nib) that I already had - they appear to be basically the same size and shape so I fitted the Bock nib directly onto the Muji feed (zero problems with gaps between the nib and the feed) and re-inserted them into the Muji section.

The nib seems to work perfectly without any adjustment by me. The only comment I would make is that the Bock italic nib writes much wetter than the original Muji nib. The original nib doesn't have a size indicated on it but I would consider it a Fine. Perhaps this could be explained by the fact that the original nib was using the supplied Muji cartridge whereas I have now inserted an international cartridge converter and filled it with Diamine Blue Velvet ink.

I'm very happy with my Muji fountain pen and it's Bock 1.1 Italic nib.

• 2 months later...

I would not install a Bock Ti nib in any pen.

I, on the other hand, have them installed in all my regularly used pens, including Conid Minimalistica, Ranga 3, ASA, Maya, and Delta Dolcevita, except one, which has a 14k semi-flex from FPNibs. Pelikan M205 has the standard stock semi-flex.

No nails allowed!

Add lightness and simplicate.

Just in case anyone is still looking...

http://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bocknibs.html

I'm thinking of getting a size 5 titanium nib for my Muji. And if that fits well, I might refit three of my pens.

Cheers!

Unless you really want a wider nib than is in the Muji, I'd honestly say my muji's nib is better than my bock titanium EF's.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

This is a USD price place-holder on the Bock "Titan" Titanium nibs from Beaufort Ink in the U.K. The GBP to USD convertered prices below are are without VAT and shipping as of Friday, 13-December-2019 U.K. time.

* Beaufort Ink U.K.

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/

* Bock fountain pen nib with Bock housing #8 solid titanium - fine. $124.14 :yikes:

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bock-fountain-pen-nibs/bock-standard-size-8-fountain-pen-nibs-type-380/bock-fountain-pen-nib-with-bock-housing-8-solid-titanium-fine

* Bock fountain pen nib with Bock housing #6 solid titanium - fine. $63.41

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bock-fountain-pen-nibs/bock-standard-size-6-fountain-pen-nibs-type-250/bock-fountain-pen-nib-with-bock-housing-6-solid-titanium-fine

* Bock fountain pen nib with Bock housing #5 solid titanium - fine. $59.04

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/bock-fountain-pen-nibs/bock-standard-size-5-fountain-pen-nibs-type-180/bock-fountain-pen-nib-with-bock-housing-5-solid-titanium-fine

Note: All three Bock titanium nibs are available with Extra fine [EF], Fine [F], Medium [M], or Broad tipping.

Two nib unit options are available:

1. An unspecified nib housing and feed that fits the "kit pens" sold by Beaufort Ink.

2. The standard Bock "Triple System" which consists of the nib, feed, and threaded plastic nib housing. While it isn't explicitly stated, it's likely the Titan #5 nib comes as a Bock model 180, the #6 nib as a model 250, and the #8 as a model 380 triple system. It should be noted that all the #5 and #6 Bock triple systems come with crummy ABS plastic feeds while the #8 380 triple system sports an Ebonite feed which will ensure adequate ink flow to the nib when flexed. There's more information on this stuff at the links below:

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/undertanding-fountain-pen-nibs-choosing-the-right-one

https://peter-bock.com/products/nib-systems

• 2 weeks later...

Also worth mentioning… You can order Bock titanium nibs directly from Karas Kustoms, who sell them as replacement nibs for their Fountain K and Ink pens. The Fountain K is a #5, and the Ink is a #6. These come with the complete nib-and-feed module, and I soon discovered that the #6 module screws right into most Bexleys as well. I have one in a Bexley 56 now, and it's lovely.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this nib for my Namisu. I have lots of trouble with the tines spreading and the resulting loss of capillary action.

Ultimately, I found it unusable, and I ordered a steel nib to replaced the Ti nib.

Is this an issue that a nib tuner can fix? Or is it an issue with my writing style?

I have this nib for my Namisu. I have lots of trouble with the tines spreading and the resulting loss of capillary action.

Ultimately, I found it unusable, and I ordered a steel nib to replaced the Ti nib.

Is this an issue that a nib tuner can fix? Or is it an issue with my writing style?

a nibmeister could probably diagnose the issue for you. I have not experienced that issue in any of my dozen titanium bock nibs. I have 4 from Namisu

a nibmeister could probably diagnose the issue for you. I have not experienced that issue in any of my dozen titanium bock nibs. I have 4 from Namisu

Thanks - luckily the Philly Pen show is coming up - so I'll take it to a nibmeister then.

I haven't had that issue either. However... I've heard that some people consider the Ti nibs easily sprung if you are really heavy-handed with them, or if you try to do "copperplate" style flex writing. They aren't meant for that. Well, I'd argue that no fountain pen nib is meant for that, but I mean the Ti are even more easily damaged than gold nibs.

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting the nib tuned at the Philly Pen show. It worked well in front of the nibmeister but haven't used it "in the wild" yet.

The nibmeister told me that the issue with titanium is that is has no "metal memory" so it doesn't spring back if you accidentally flex it too much.

So I think the moral of the story is to not be heavy-handed with Ti nibs.