What Indian Pens Are You Using Today?

VillersCotterets

Is this pen still available or is it one of those special ones you snagged, Hari?

The Deccan pen stores is a family owned shop run by the sons of the founder and his grandchildren. One of the brothers is the chief pen designer/maker and nib man. This is his creation, they take a standard steel nib and modify it to add flexibility. I think only two or three such pens were made in my knowledge. One is in my collection and the other is with my good friend Univer in the US. You can read more about it in the link which I posted two posts up.

Note the STYB on the nib, STYB is a Spanish pen company, some of their nibs are made by an Indian nib company...

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• mhguda

• hari317

• Helen350

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ranga 'bamboo' style pen customized to allow a K5 converter to be used. It is made from green/black ebonite and has the bakul finish.

My apologies to MP Kandan for the cell phone camera picture that does not do justice to this gorgeous pen.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/french_lewis/my%20pens/photo.jpg

Camlin SD again. I just like the grip. (See picture above. I have that color, the dark blue.)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Varuna Vishal. Oh what a lovely, lovely pen. Indian ebonite 4 ever!

Waiting for a Rajan to come... and sure this love affair will continue thanks to all the Indian pen fans on FPN. Darn it, how did I spend 3 months in India last year without realising there were so many lovely FPs lurking in the darkness of old stationers' shops? Next time things will be different!

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

Just got a Serwex 962 a few days ago. Love it! Cost under 10.00 with shipping and wries a really fine, wet line.

I replaced the nib on my Airmail 71J. Hari mentioned in this thread or another that Sheaffer school pen nibs fit in the Airmails. Experimentation shows that they are the same size and shape. I had my pen for a week with the Sheaffer fine when it dawned on me that the Sheaffer calligraphy nibs might also fit. I have 15 of these in the three available sizes (F, M, B). The process of removing the nib from the section was sadly destructive but now my Airmail is sporting a Sheaffer fine italic nib. Much fun.

I dont have one yet. The Serwex 1362 is on the way. :clap1:

But I think the Wality 58SL with the gold clip in the red is really really nice looking.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

• 1 month later...

Seems like this topic has been inactive a while. But I just inked a really great-looking red-swirl Airmail 69A acrylic eyedropper. This is a long, torpedo-style pen with cavernous ink capacity. I only filled it about a quarter of the way, just to see how it would behave. So far it has been flawless, with a very smooth (a surprise, based on my experience with Airmail/Wality) firm MF nib and very even ink flow. No indication so far of problems with the usual empty-eyedropper behaviors. Wonderful writing experience!

ron

Purple Airmail 71J, inked with Private Reserve Ebony Purple (perfect match!)

The Airmail feed is not a true feed. It's a long piece of plastic with only a straight ink channel on top. The lateral fins are only decorative, the ink cannot reach them nor regulate the flow. So, I replaced this basic feed with an elaborate one borrowed from a Sheaffer Cartridge Pen (circa 1990). This new feed is a lot shorter than the original one, but I hope it will regulate more efficiently the ink flow and maybe even eliminate ink spewing.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7051/dscf0049b.jpg

Edited by VillersCotterets

My purple Airmail 71JT is currently filled with Diamine Grape. Another good match. :-)

Just used it to write a postcard.

Deccan Masterpiece white. After using continuously since acquired a month back it has turned out to be one of the best pen in my small collection. Since it can be considered has oversized I initially thought that balance could be an issue which is not, in fact it has started making my other pens of standard size feel a bit small for me.

Kudos to Indian pen making!

pbhat

I just threw out a Serwex, does that count? it keeps leaking on me, and I took it to the DMV today, and it spewed Noodler's Feather X all over my paperwork. I kind of liked the way it wrote, but I had had enough. It leaked out of between the section and the body. I liked that it was a piston filler. It had a really nice extra fine point. It also sometimes would not start. So I gave up.

I received a nice shipment of Indian pens from fountainpenrevolution. Upon inking the Serwex piston proved to be a spitter/blobber. In three lines of text it blobbed three times and finally spit out about.25 cc of ink when I removed the nib from the paper. I have designated it as Sewer X and it has been consigned to the trash can.

On a much more positive note I also received a Deccan rounded ebonite Eye Dropper in brown with a fine nib. It is graceful, comfortable, wet and smooth. As soon as fountainpenrevolution gets a new stock of Deccan pens I will be making another purchase.

Edited by tspin46

• 3 weeks later...

None at the moment. I have been looking admiringly at them though.

I have one major concern since my unfortunate experience with the Ahab and it's special brand of

perfume. Very strong scents can trigger an asthma attack for me, and I quickly found out I could not

use the Ahab for this reason and this had made me very leery of other pens made in India.

I apologize if this comment comes across as rude or ignorant in any way. It is absolutely not meant to be.

I base my concerns on an FPN article where I found out that the Ahab was made, I believe by Camay(sp) a

company in India or that it provided the parts.

I absolutely love the Green Brahman pictured above and would dearly love to acquire a few Indian pens if

there is not such an issue with them as was with the Noodler's Ahab.

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open." James Dewar

http://i49.tinypic.com/2j26aaa.png

Today is my first day with a new Deccan Author (similar to the Aurelius hari mentions just above). What a marvelous pen--not only a smooth, first-time writer with excellent flow characteristics, but one of the most natural-feeling pens in the hand that I've ever experienced. It feels as if someone had taken measurements of my hand and recorded my writing style, then built a pen specifically for me. The effect is significant enough to show up in my writing.

And like every Deccan I've seen, the pen is beautiful to look at and superbly finished.

ron

None at the moment. I have been looking admiringly at them though.

I have one major concern since my unfortunate experience with the Ahab and it's special brand of

perfume. Very strong scents can trigger an asthma attack for me, and I quickly found out I could not

use the Ahab for this reason and this had made me very leery of other pens made in India.

I apologize if this comment comes across as rude or ignorant in any way. It is absolutely not meant to be.

I base my concerns on an FPN article where I found out that the Ahab was made, I believe by Camay(sp) a

company in India or that it provided the parts.

I absolutely love the Green Brahman pictured above and would dearly love to acquire a few Indian pens if

there is not such an issue with them as was with the Noodler's Ahab.

Hi, the cheaper Indian pens which are compression molded are made from a recycled material called LDPE. This gives out the smell. This is a very inexpensive material. Some batches smell more stronger than others. I have no idea about the Noodler's pens or their materials however.

Wality now makes a metal lathe handturned Acrylic model called the 69A. This pen does not smell that much, only the slightly acrid smell of turned acrylic.

The Green Brahmam that I showed above is made of celluloid: cellulose Nitrate, the real stuff. This pen also gives out an aromatic smell of camphor.

Many Indian pens are made of ebonite and these pens give out a sulphurous smell when rubbed, since ebonite is actually vulcanised rubber.

Today is my first day with a new Deccan Author (similar to the Aurelius hari mentions just above). What a marvelous pen--not only a smooth, first-time writer with excellent flow characteristics, but one of the most natural-feeling pens in the hand that I've ever experienced. It feels as if someone had taken measurements of my hand and recorded my writing style, then built a pen specifically for me. The effect is significant enough to show up in my writing.

And like every Deccan I've seen, the pen is beautiful to look at and superbly finished.

ron

Dear Ron, the Aurelius and the Author are the one and the same pen. Happy to hear that the pen fits your hand like a tailored glove. Deccan have hit upon something good.

Best

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.