The Significance Of Red Ink

Bigeddie

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use red ink?

• I use red as a daily writing ink (at least sometimes)
    • I use red for specific purposes
    • I use red for specific purposes depending on the context (i.e. what it is and who's reading it)
    • I have lots of red ink, but struggle to find a reason to use it
    • I don't use red ink

The only bottle of ink I have currently is noodler's antietam, so that is my daily writer. Though it is a blood red, I don't know how much I would like using an ink like Sheaffer Skrip Red, which seems like it would be better served correcting work

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• Uncle Red

I like some reds for general writing: Noodler's Black Swan in English Rose and Noodler's Antietam. These are not pure reds which is why they work.

More reddish reds are better for highlighting or correcting. Some of my favorites are Noodler's Red Fox and Noodler's Nikita.

The only explanation I can give is that the latter two are too attention grabbing for regular writing.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

My neighbor says the Chinese associate red with prosperity and power.

Not if you write a letter with red ink. That's rather bad luck, because in ancient times red ink was reserved for the names of the dead... Some still value this tradition.

Greetings,

Michael

I use red on calendars for birthdays and anniversaries. I use it with green ink on Christmas cards. And I use it to write top-of-the page "milepost" headers in my journal, summarizing a key event described on that page or beginning on that page, the kind of journal entry I might go looking for later on to refresh my recollection about what happened when.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.