The Significance Of Red Ink

Bigeddie

211 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use red ink?

• I use red as a daily writing ink (at least sometimes)
    • I use red for specific purposes
    • I use red for specific purposes depending on the context (i.e. what it is and who's reading it)
    • I have lots of red ink, but struggle to find a reason to use it
    • I don't use red ink

I use Antietam and like it. It's a just-barely-red-coming-from-orange color. I like it a bit more than Noodler's Nikita which is very similar in color but feathered a bit more for me. I haven't tried Tiananmen yet.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• VillersCotterets

• Scrawler

• Uncle Red

Red, for grading and to crush students dirty little feelings or whatever is supposed to be something like that - anytime :thumbup:

"Hurt feeling? What feelings? There are no grades for feelings, why bother?"

"Don't take it personal - I'm not grading you, I'm only grading your work" :roflmho:

I've got a big variety of different reds. And I like to use them regularly - as well for private as for business purposes. Never had a problem with it and never seen anyone having a problem with my ink choice. Now I'm again in the correcting business and I use it, too, for that. Scribbling at home in red, why not? Getting letters written in red: I don't see a problem.

I'm fine with red all the way.

Greetings,

Michael

I sometimes use red for stuff only I need to read. Skrip Red is a rather good ink and has been credited with the magical property to unclog pens as it writes.

I don't currently have a red ink, other than what's left in one of my Preppies. Noodler's Red-Black looks like a good candidate - non glaring contrast to my collection of (mostly) blues.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

Colour and culture - an interesting problem!Does one take on board the whole world's opinions about the meaning of red, or just stick to the cultural meanings of one's own society, thereby preserving them?For me, red is...Important - red letter days.Joyous - Christmas.Alarming - danger.Threatening - hate mail.The context matters, and tells you how to interpret red. I would never use red ink for a letter - looks as though you are shouting, threatening, and out of control.

The nice thing about color is, you get to experiment with rhe full range of hue, intensity, and saturation for different effect to convey the context. Red is no different. There are so many different reds than the in-your-face-midlife-crisis-Santa-on-Fire-Engine red that everyone loves to hate.

Red can be a power color like the Senator's tie, or it can be the muted accent color of an antique toy or a rustic barn. I like Noodler's Red-Black for its shading in a flex or stub pen, and even use it for taking notes at the office. I love to use a muted Diamine Monaco Red writing notes on personalized cream-colored cards engraved with a similar color ink.

Red can be tasteful and appropriate...though I'll confess, I once brought a yellow Safari inked with Noodler's Nikita to a meeting just to antagonize our Controller.

We are all human.

/Soundsider

...jumps over the lazy dog.

Red can be tasteful and appropriate...though I'll confess, I once brought a yellow Safari inked with Noodler's Nikita to a meeting just to antagonize our Controller.

Red ink in a yellow pen? I LOVE IT!! I adore the idea of a passive office rebellion by fountain pen users :thumbup:

I use red to journal sometimes. There is something about the shock of red in the midst of all the black scrawls that instantly cheers me up!

I like Habanero but it's orange not read. I quite like Widow Maker: it dries slightly lighter than dry blood, I also like Antietam for similar reasons.

I've got a few Diamine reds that I usually forget about when filling a pen but I don't apply any associations with red as a colour, if others think it offends or represents xmas or death or anything else then so be it, for me it's just another colour.

I do usually ask people I write to if there are colours they prefer or dislike and I'll try to stick to/avoid them, but the only colour that has caused dissent is Diamine Sunshine Yellow from a fine nibbed pen on champagne coloured paper - hard on the eyes apparently! :)

Craig

Edited by MrClegg

"Those Who Know What's Best For Us, Must Rise And Save Us From Ourselves."

Witch Hunt - Neil Peart

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I only write for myself 99%. I like red and to use red I had to buy red. Since I now have red, I use it, here and there, because I like it. Reminds me of red things, raspberries, roses, etc. If I ever find I am offending myself I will just say, "Self, chill! Its just a color." My wife has now come to like red and uses it a lot. (See purchase of BIG bottle of red above)

In India, China and some Muslim places I know brides wear red. Happiness, good luck, love, many wonderful things. Our brides wear white for purity (!), but is worn in India by widows whose lives without a husband are bleak and miserable.

• 7 months later...

I use red ink for marking student's work. But because of the quallity of the paper used by the students, the ink often bleeds. So I have to write really big so that they can still make sense of the big fat 0/10.

Please call me Nathan. It is a pleasure to meet you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.pnghttp://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

I'l go along with everything said up top by Eddie but I have always thought that red has long been chosen as a cancellation, immediacy, "stop-now", term derived from the colour of fire itself. Just like blue = eternity; green = growth, "go-to-it", adventure etc . At least thousands of years old, these connotations...

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Interesting!

I use red almost exclusively for everything except legal documents. I own one blue for that and Never use it otherwise. I have inks of colors other than red, but the red gets about 90% of the use.

I've always preferred the look of red on white or even better red on cream paper over the generally accepted 'right' blues and blacks. Growing up(and even now) I found that I write much clearer and form letters better in red... I know it has to be psycological, an illusion, but its still how it is! My hand writing is twice as good when writing in red. So I do.

Greatest things I ever found were Noodlers Tiananmen and Red-Black, and PR Black Cherry. All of them write dark and not obtrusive, clearly red, but not a "HEY look at me!!" red.

I go through a lot of Red-Black.

G.

I primarily use red ink in a professional context as a writer/editor. For that purpose I don't even use FPs but rather a handy-dandy liquid-gel ball pen.

The only real red FP ink I have is the Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite. I've got a bottle of Noodler's Cayenne as well, which is more of a reddish-orange.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

I use red ink for marking student's work. But because of the quallity of the paper used by the students, the ink often bleeds. So I have to write really big so that they can still make sense of the big fat 0/10.

I wish I could mark student coursework with a pen, but it's all done on computers these days so pens and paper are no longer involved, alas. But Diamine Orange is a good colour for marking exam scripts. A bright and cheerful colour.

I usually use a reddish ink in school anyways now and no one has complained so far. Granted, it's Noodler's BSAR, so it's closer to burgundy/violet but it's still a red ink. Most of my teachers take the liberty to grade in something else now apparently. Last time, turquoise was the mandated grading color for a quiz (we had to grade ourselves).

The other part is preference. Once my Lamy Logo started using BSAR, it didn't stop. I just like the look of it on white paper over plain black and white.

...I suppose part of the reason for why no one minds is the fact I'm a senior. There's more of a sense of freedom to do things in our own style.

Calculating.

I get all the cultural ideas about red, but somehow I have my own associations with red.

For some reason, I associate red with math. Not that math makes me angry or anything. I don't associate other colors with other educational departments (but I temporarily did when I was in high school and color-coded things), it was only red and only math.

And that turned into associating red with taking notes. Doing life sketches, copying things down verbatim, or just taking light notes.

This kind of turned into magenta also being associated with taking notes, but I see magenta as being a "silly" color, so I use it to take notes about vidya gaemz or weird stuff. Red is for serious/real life things.

I use red-brown because brown inks can be more durable, and it's easier on the eyes while being legible.

When grading myself in Russian class, there was a "don't use red, only the instructor can use red" I'd use magenta or orange, because it was close enough but different. Cyan was also this to blue (I'd add in new words/better phrasings in cyan)

Edited by Dioxazine

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory - Chinese proverb

Dioxazine Letter Tracker

I use red for editing and mark ups all the time. I also will occasionally draw in red. I don't write much in red, as I simply don't like the look of a page filled with red writing. If it was a red-black or red-brown, that would be fine, those just aren't my favorite colors.

My motivation for using red ink is pretty simple...I like it. I think red is a beautiful rich color and I don't really tie any meaning or negativity to it. It is one of m y primary ink colors along with Green, blue and black.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

• 1 year later...

Dark red (Garnet) for the FSU Seminoles. Seems rather popular among some at the moment. Used in my Garnet & Gold Hero 616 which the lawyers mistake for a Parker 51. Reactions, pro and con, are comical when I offer to initial their copies of work. Did I mention my brother is a former lawyer who left the practice of law to become a monk in the Episcopal Church. Sad to see him go because he always takes something I wanted to keep. Oh Brother, brother! (Evidently red is used by the Abbot and he feels disrespected (still not sure that is a word) when I use it.)

I tried red ink. Didn't like it.

My neighbor says the Chinese associate red with prosperity and power.

As I see it, I'm out $9.95 for a bottle of ink that I don't like.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !