Waterman Ballpoint Pen With Roller Ball Refill?

OakIris

I have a Waterman ballpoint pen or two. Though, for some reason, I prefer writing with a fountain pen :rolleyes: , I rather like the fit and finish and feel of these Waterman ballpoint pens that I bought when I still didn't know any better - but, I no longer like to write with them. I did a Google search and found nothing on the subject of interchangeability between Waterman ballpoint/roller ball pens. I imagine there are differences in the pen bodies that prevent it, but for a more comfortable writing experience, I was just wondering if any one has had experience with trying to turn a Waterman ballpoint pen into a roller ball pen...

Please don't throw rocks, just let me know if this is a possibility. (I know I can just buy a roller ball refill and see if it works, but I would like to learn about (or from) other peoples successes - or failures - with attempts to repurpose their Waterman ballpoint pens. :P )

Holly

Edited by OakIris

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• OakIris

• loulu10

• dks202

As far as I remember and on certain modeles only, the ball point refills fit the roller ball pens but not visa versa. If you look at the shape of the two types it is clear why this is the case.

As far as I remember and on certain modeles only, the ball point refills fit the roller ball pens but not visa versa. If you look at the shape of the two types it is clear why this is the case.

I was afraid of that. I've never seen a roller ball refill in person so wasn't sure from looking at the pictures. Well, perhaps I will just try a broad refill for the ballpoints to see if they are easier to write with. Otherwise, the pens will just be display models because they ARE pretty!

(mods - thanks for moving my post to the Waterman forum - I didn't even think of this forum when I started the thread in the Writing Instruments forum. :headsmack: )

Holly

Which models do you have ?

I only have two. One is a Hemisphere green marble ballpoint pen. I am not sure of the other one. It is a slimmer pen, brown marble, flat top with three gold bands at the top and bottom part of the "cap" area.

Holly

Which models do you have ?

I only have two. One is a Hemisphere green marble ballpoint pen. I am not sure of the other one. It is a slimmer pen, brown marble, flat top with three gold bands at the top and bottom part of the "cap" area.

Holly

Sounds like it might be an Exclusive from the 90's, this is the roller ball.

fpn_1332514695__dscn1213.jpg

Edited by Force

My brown marble ballpoint pen is indeed an Exclusive. Thank you, Force! Wish I had the matching fountain pens for both of these ballpoints but unfortunately when I bought them, I wasn't interested in fountain pens. :(

Holly

Edited by OakIris

A roller cannot replace a ball pen even if it appears to fit. Ballpoint is a thick oil based ink that sticks to the ball. Rollerball ink is water based like FP ink. If flows around and through the ball. Even if it did fit, the uncapped rollerball would dry out and stop flowing within hours...

Gel inks are totally different, they have the qualities of both!

A roller cannot replace a ball pen even if it appears to fit. Ballpoint is a thick oil based ink that sticks to the ball. Rollerball ink is water based like FP ink. If flows around and through the ball. Even if it did fit, the uncapped rollerball would dry out and stop flowing within hours...

Gel inks are totally different, they have the qualities of both!

I didn't even think about the fact that rollerball pens need a cap! :headsmack: I've never had - or used - a rollerball pen so didn't consider that factor - and how silly my original question seems now! :embarrassed_smile: (....she slinks away....)

I am going to have to try a broad point refill and see how it feels to write with it in one of my ballpoint pens. I've never used a ballpoint with a broad refill before, either, so I have no idea if this will improve the writing experience or if it will be just more of the same. Sadly, if the pens end up being dust collectors, so be it. :( I've already been spoiled by fountain pens!

Holly

Edited by OakIris

• 4 years later...

Howdy, I'm new here.

You helped me ID my second Waterman! Now I think my 2nd Waterman is a Rhapsody Rollerball.

But I'm still not sure about the refill - inside the pen is a felt tip: Waterman Extra Fine Point 99. The replacement I have when I bought the pan says 'ballpoint', but sadly, does not fit...And I can't seem to find felt tip replacements - yet.... thx

• Waterman Ideal Exclusive Black Lacquer 18K nib fountain pen.
  • Waterman Man 200 Rhapsody Fiber Tip Mineral Green rollerball.
  • Set: '72 Parker 75 Flighter Deluxe GT Fountain  Pen + '78 Parker 180 Flighter CT Floating Ball / Fiber Tip. 
  • Sheaffer Lifetime Ring Cap, Sheaffer 2d & 3d Gen Pens.

Howdy, I'm new here.

You helped me ID my second Waterman! Now I think my 2nd Waterman is a Rhapsody Rollerball.

But I'm still not sure about the refill - inside the pen is a felt tip: Waterman Extra Fine Point 99. The replacement I have when I bought the pan says 'ballpoint', but sadly, does not fit...And I can't seem to find felt tip replacements - yet.... thx

Here is the photo.Waterman%2BRollerball.JPG

• Set: '72 Parker 75 Flighter Deluxe GT Fountain  Pen + '78 Parker 180 Flighter CT Floating Ball / Fiber Tip. 

I am not sure Waterman still market an RB felt tip. There may be a third party bersion but some searching must be done and questions asking.

Waterman fibre tip refills are number 96.

They are available in the UK

Interesting read here.

Wow, Force! I am so glad I found FPN. This is exactly what I needed. Woo-hoo!

You rock! :cloud9: Many thanks, Force!

P.S. Are you 'THE Force' of Star Wars' fame?