Reed Pen

Stompie

the straw is the pen - cut it the same as you would a feather

Oh, I thought it was for the reservoir!

If you try this "exercise in frustration", be warned. It can be done but not nearly as well as with a reed or quill. However, it is a good exercise in making a pen out of a simple tool.

Tried this once in a bar in the Orient. Didn't work out too well. Maybe the several San Miguels before?

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stompie

• fiberdrunk

• Randal6393

• caliken

Well, my weekend was looking boring as I don't have a replacement sac for my waterman yet... but there is bamboo nearby... Another DIY project to delay my midterm studying, success! Thanks, Stompie, for the wonderful work you've done.

Well, my weekend was looking boring as I don't have a replacement sac for my waterman yet... but there is bamboo nearby... Another DIY project to delay my midterm studying, success! Thanks, Stompie, for the wonderful work you've done.

:thumbup:

I have trimmed even more and it is amazing how easy the reed writes and what wonderful character to the letters it gives. Have fun Wikoster!

Yes, a reservoir on the outside, rather puzzling

Brause no.180 nibs use this type of reservoir, fitted on the outside of the nib.

Ken

If you have a small artist's brush or bristle brush lying around, or an eyedropper, use that to fill your reservoir. That will allow you to control the ink more precisely and should help eliminate the puddle with the fill. Great to see you having so much fun and learning so much in such a short time. Best look at the way to use would be the Herman Zapf video, either search here or on YouTube. It's a tribute to Mr. Zapf and shows him at work with dip pen, brush, sharpening stone, and ink stick and stone. Done by Hallmark Cards.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

After a fill, I usually wipe the excess along the inside lid of the ink bottle, to avoid that initial puddling. Either that, or use a scratch paper alongside and write on that until the flow is reliable.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Can you put a reservoir on the inside of a reed, quill, or straw pen?

That's something I'd like to try.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Can you put a reservoir on the inside of a reed, quill, or straw pen?

That's something I'd like to try.

I have placed mine inside the reed - see the last picture here for the results - so be careful unless you have a long letter to write as it just would not get finished! :thumbup:

Cheers Fiberdrunk - I have done that and it helps a lot.