• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stompie

• fiberdrunk

• Randal6393

• smk

How fun! Makes me wish I had some bamboo here. Looks really nice.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Great, Stompie,

Next, fit a reserve to the pen and you will be ready to write a page without refilling. Always glad to see someone show what can be done with the simplest of tools.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Can you show a picture of the reed pen itself? Would love to see that. Beautiful Diamine Ancient Copper writing sample, by the way!

Great, Stompie,

Next, fit a reserve to the pen and you will be ready to write a page without refilling. Always glad to see someone show what can be done with the simplest of tools.

Enjoy,

A reservoir? How would I do that?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/IMAG0102.jpg

Amazing how rough they look when magnified

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/IMAG0101.jpg

I actually cut most of it with a pen knife and then just trimmed with the razor

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj229/Popsjill/pens/IMAG0100.jpg

excerpt from my journal, you can see the broad nib used for page numbering

Wow, that is so neat! I love your writing, too. Thanks for sharing all the photos! Makes me want to go get out my bamboo pen and go play.

I've never tried to attach a reservoir to a reed pen, but on the Dennis Ruud website, he shows a picture of a feather quill with a reservoir attached. It's cut from brass. Maybe you can adapt the idea.

eta: here's his photo:

http://www.dennisruud.com/reservoir.jpg

It's interesting that it goes on the top and outside of the quill, rather than inside.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Wow, thank you for that picture! Yes, a reservoir on the outside, rather puzzling but I will see if I can find me a piece of copper or brass and do something - pity they clean up all the litter here in the UK :rolleyes:

Here is a link to get to Writing and Illuminating and Lettering by Edward Johnston. http://www.archive.o...minat00johnuoft I would put it in the link widget but it's playing tricks on me today. Another book with a good description of attaching a reservoir to a pen is Lettering by Graily Hewitt.

The advantage of Ruid's reservoir is that it is easier to fill and to see where the ink is going. I would guess that adjustment may be a bit of a b(naughty) but would be well worth it.

To see how Johnston et al fitted their reservoirs, see WIL, page 54. Not much information, but enough to get started on.

Enjoy,

Edited by Randal6393

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

and I managed to get some feathers so one of these days I will try that too.

I am just going to have to find some river sand to heat them up in first. Most of the sand around me, because I am on farmlands is rather muddy and fine. It also has a lot of fertilizer mixed in so I have to scout around for someone doing construction work :thumbup:

Try cutting a bit of metal out of a Coke can. But watch for the sharp edges! Some of my best work has been done with an old Coke can and a McDonald's straw. It works but is a very finicky setup. The outer reservoir works quite well -- TAPE dip pens use them exclusively. Easier to use and fill than the Mitchell interior reservoirs. Best of luck to you, Stompie,

Wow, thank you for that picture! Yes, a reservoir on the outside, rather puzzling but I will see if I can find me a piece of copper or brass and do something - pity they clean up all the litter here in the UK :rolleyes:

Yours,
Randal

Nice work!

A reservoir makes a lot of difference - both in the consistency of the amount of ink being laid down and being able to write more on one dip.

Here's a comparison:

fpn_1331843766__reedpen-reservoir.jpg

The details of the reservoir (cut out of a soda can):

fpn_1331843875__reedpen-reservoir2.jpg

Salman

SMK thank you for all that great info and pics - I will give it a go, as soon as I finish with the drinking straw :embarrassed_smile:

Try cutting a bit of metal out of a Coke can. But watch for the sharp edges! Some of my best work has been done with an old Coke can and a McDonald's straw. It works but is a very finicky setup. The outer reservoir works quite well -- TAPE dip pens use them exclusively. Easier to use and fill than the Mitchell interior reservoirs. Best of luck to you, Stompie,

Where does the straw go exactly? I can't picture what you use that for.

the straw is the pen - cut it the same as you would a feather

Oh, I thought it was for the reservoir!

the straw is the pen - cut it the same as you would a feather

Oh, I thought it was for the reservoir!

Nope, the soda tin is for the reservoir