Lamy Safari Nib Widths

kd7vdb

I was originally going to get a Noodlers Ahab but in recent light I have decided to get a Lamy Safari. My question is, How wide are Lamy nibs? I have been writing with my Medium Pilot Plumix for about a month now and was wondering how a Medium Lamy Safari would compare?

kd7vdb

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kd7vdb

• ExcaliburZ

• Bo Bo Olson

• Giordana

Top Posters In This Topic

http://img02.taobaocdn.com/imgextra/i2/466415159/T2Tl9eXbtXXXXXXXXX_!!466415159.jpg

EF 0.4mm F 0.5mm M 0.7mm B 0.9mm

Edited by ExcaliburZ

Have fist, will travel

My deviantArt page

Thanks for the replies, It looks like a medium for me! And by my calculations it should be a tad bit finer.

thanks again

kd7vdb

Lamy nibs if I remember what folks write cost about $15 and are relatively easy to change.

I don't have a Safari.

So you could well afford to buy M,and order at the same time a F. Later you can if you wish get a EF and or later a B.

B's are fun...adds a bit of pizazz to your writing.

I have a Lamy Persona (ground from a OB to a M-B Cursive Italic, CP-1 in B, and some old Artus (Lamy)pens (M's and F's but being vintage are a tad narrower than modern.).

You have to be aware many started with skinner than marked Japanese nibs...ie a Japanese F = EF in Western. Therefore they complain all the time that 'western' nibs write 'fat'.....to their eyes.

I never had one of those mis-marked Japanese nibs, so to my eyes, most western nibs seem to be @ what they are marked. Skinny(EF), medium skinny(F), medium(M) and broad (B.

One takes into account human tolerance/slop when nibs are checked for size and tossed in a bin of nibs to that size.

A Fat F will be @ the same as a skinny M.

The facts that the nibs are measured by hand, and each company has it's own standards means you are going to be real lucky over the years and get a lot of nice, F-EF, F-M, and M-B nibs.

If one don't go AR on it....1/2 sizes are nice, to some one a fat M, is to me a nice M-B. :rolleyes:

Or a Fat EF is a nice F-EF. :thumbup:

All pen companies use their very own standards in nib sizes, and there is no 'norm' or standard. That is a myth.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Simple answer is that it is in between a regular western medium and broad like that in a parker, waterman or MB.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb345/Andybiotics/Writing%20Samples/P1020494j-1reversedcolour.jpg

• The Plumix Medium nib has crisp edges, and 'depending upon how you hold the pen', gives a decided italic line.
  • The Lamy Medium rounded footprint will appear overall slightly larger, so you may opt to go for the fine.

Regularly used both in daily reports.

You might opt for the Lamy italic nib. I have the Joy set, and personally found the Lamy italic, not quite as smooth as the Plumix.

You will also have suggestions to try the Pilot 78G, but I found in 2 examples, the fine point 78G is Not the same nib as the Plumix fine. I have heard the Plumix nib can be installed in the 78G, haven't tried that, as I found it did not have enough ink capacity for my needs. Hope that helps.

• The Plumix Medium nib has crisp edges, and 'depending upon how you hold the pen', gives a decided italic line.
  • The Lamy Medium rounded footprint will appear overall slightly larger, so you may opt to go for the fine.

Regularly used both in daily reports.

You might opt for the Lamy italic nib. I have the Joy set, and personally found the Lamy italic, not quite as smooth as the Plumix.

You will also have suggestions to try the Pilot 78G, but I found in 2 examples, the fine point 78G is Not the same nib as the Plumix fine. I have heard the Plumix nib can be installed in the 78G, haven't tried that, as I found it did not have enough ink capacity for my needs. Hope that helps.

Hmmmm, Maybe a Lamy Fine is the way to go . I really don't need the Italic and Im looking for something a little smoother so fine seems the way to go.

If you're buying in person, ask to dip the pen. Then change the nib, as they are super easy to change, and dip again and try it out.

I personally went to B to get that 'pizazz' as another member put it. I have F nibs everywhere, wanted a B to compliment what little (or rather just the one) M I have.

All bleeding stops...eventually

How wide a is Plumix M? If it's as fine as a M should be from Pilot, it could be that a Lamy EF is just as big. But if the M runs two sizes bigger than the F, who knows? What are you going to do with the Lamy Safari nib? Go EF or F depending on that.

I discovered that writing "upside-down" my Platinum music nib gives me line variation similar to the Plumix medium, and just as smoothly! Ah I love versatile pens. Don't know about Lamy medium, but the fine is versatile in that sense - I guess the 1.1 italic nib will be slightly bigger than the Plumix.

I ordered A Lamy Safari Fine nib Black and some Ink from writers bloc (they have pilot cartridges too , needed some). I caught it about 45 mins later that I forgot to order the z24 converter!!! Has Anyone ever ordered from writers bloc? I e-mailed them and asked them to add the converter , it would really suck to get the new pen and ink but no converter.

JS