The Vintage Bug

RyanL27

Lately, I've been considering an overhaul to my collection–refocusing on vintage pens, specifically, vintage, lever-filling Sheaffers, Touchdowns and PFMs.

Has anyone else had similar feelings or made similar adjustments to their collections? It seems like many people start off in pens by collecting without a specific focus or theme, which is a lot of fun. My theme up to this point has been pens that write well, and I, of course, don't see anything wrong with that. But after a while, it seems like a lot of us settle into a certain type of pen to collect and appreciate in a concentrated way. These days, I just seem to get so much more satisfaction from using vintage pens that I know have a history and yet still work marvelously. Also, I find vintage pens, on the whole, to be more attractive than moderns, and I could probably have more of them since they tend to cost less than similarly sized and appointed moderns.

For a long time, I've oscillated back and forth, keeping a good balance of old and new pens, but anymore my moderns spend more and more time uninked and in the bigger pen case.

I'm just kind of thinking out loud about this.....any thoughts?

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanL27

• French

• gregamckinney

• Glaedr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have read that in all forms of collecting, it is common to buy indescriminitetly at first and then begin to focus as one gets more experience. I THINK I'm starting to get better at that. At least I'm buying fewer pens and I'm trying to focus on Parker "51"s and Sheaffer Early Touchdowns. But then a pen comes along that looks nice and is priced right......

I've been thinking about selling more of my duplicates and ones that I don't really use. I'm still thinking.....

Ron

Ron

Favorite Pens: Parker "51"Lamy 2000; Bexley America the Beautiful; Pilot Custom 823, 912 and 74; Sheaffer Early Touchdown; Parker Vacumatic; Sheaffer Legacy

Same here - I started off with new pens, but have been looking more at older Sheaffers. I have a few lever fills - mainly Admirals and Craftsmans, plus a couple touchdowns and snorkels. They're more fun than new!

I started with vintage and I still prefer vintage. On the other hand, modern pens have been sneaking into my accumulation.

If focus is a sign of experience in collecting, I will never be experienced. But then again, I don't consider myself a "collector".

I don't know that I'm a "collector" either, per se, seeing as how I only have 2 pens, a Lamy Al-Star I bought because I was tired of gel pens and wanted to use fun inks, and a 51 because, well, I was assimilated ;). But I am finding myself more interested in vintage, both because I find it fascinating to think of where the pen's former life, and I simply can't afford a new pen with the workmanship that can be found in a lot of vintage pens.

Of course, now I'm on the lookout for a very specific Vacumatic that might cost me a few bucks, so I might be throwing the whole cost-effective argument out the window. Still, I think my focus is definitely drifting to vintage.

The blood jet is poetry, there is no stopping it.

I've been collecting for just over 10 years. I started with modern- discovered the FPH catalog before I knew vintage pens were so plentiful. For the first three years of so, I collected exclusively modern pens, primarily Pelikans in the M800 size. I also picked up a number of Bexley and Omas moderns.

After a while, the discussion on a.c.p-p piqued my interest and I started reading and looking more and more at vintage pens. Once I found the Zoss list and ebay, it was a fairly quick transition to vintage. I have sold off all but around 40 modern pens (from 200+) and full-depth into vintage.

I still pick up a modern pen from time to time- just bought one of the new Lamy Safari's with the blue body and red clip. However, the bulk of my time, interest, and $ goes into vintage. Have nearly 900 vintage pens at this point.

I find the variety, history, and value of vintage pens eclipse what modern pens have to offer. I work on some of my own pens, which is also part of the draw of vintage.

Best regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Well, I'm no collector, just a user, but my modest accumulation has turned toward vintage pens, particularly the "51", and I have the Long Island Pen Show to blame. I met so many nice folks, and watched Richard working on so many great looking "51"s, something inside me snapped and, all of a sudden I'm looking to acquire "51"s, Hero 100s, anything with a hooded nib.

I've got 1 "51" and another on the way (thanks!), the demi I have is a great writer, and it will be even better after next year's Long Island show (if Richard goes).

It took me some time, but I finally realized I can get a whole lot more pen for the dollar in the vintage arena. Also, it is pretty cool to write with a pen that is older than I am.

French

I started wanting modern pens, but now I'm leaning heavily towards vintage and they are what all my Christmas money is going to be spent on :D

~Joe~

When I first started I wanted to collect at least 1 pen from each pen mfr. So I began by collecting a "51" from parker, a DJ from Esterbrooke, a Snorkel from Sheaffers, & so forth... Which is pretty fun for me, as you know there are so many FP mfrs (many are no longer in business). This approach leads me to dig deeper in researching past & present history, often not just about FPs.

It has been very fun for me. :)

David

I started with Vintage pens.The first 3 years I bought any Parker and Sheaffer vintage pens I could afford.About 6 months ago I started to focus more and more on what I call as MidVintage pens.By MidVintage I mean pens from the 50s and up.

I always liked the Parker 51,61,65,75 and the Sheaffer Snorkel but now they are almost the only thing I buy.

I also added to this NEW list Oversize new pens.All together you could say I mostly go for the vintage pens.The history on them and knowing that whats out there is all that I can get is very exciting.Also I love the design that is in my eyes more classic to the modern pens.

Respect to all

I am mostly a vintage pen collector and a modern pen user. :)

I use my Esterbrooks and a couple of Snorkels regularly, as well as a few flexible-nibbed pens - but the rest of my vintage collection is stored.

I don't use any of my vintage ring tops as most are in excellent condition - if I had homelier duplicates of some of them, I would be happier about using those.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I think I spotted a rare Vintage Bug specimen earlier today... I was able to jot down a quick sketch... Is this truly the elusive Vintage Bug?

-brian

(PS/On topic - My theme is basically good writers with a design aesthetic that I can appreciate.. which rules out most vintage pens for me..)

post-4-1166497563_thumb.png

Lately, I've been considering an overhaul to my collection–refocusing on vintage pens, specifically, vintage, lever-filling Sheaffers, Touchdowns and PFMs.

I'm into that too. ;)

As the saying goes, "Been here, done that, got the t-shirt."

My collection, while still featuring a smattering of odds and ends, is now largely focused on vintage Sheaffers, particularly Touchdown Imperials with a few Vac Fillers and a few PFMs.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

I'm starting to think I'm right and need to sell off some moderns to pursue the vintage side a bit more. I just bought my Sheaffer OS Flat-top, so that's exciting!

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

- Baruch Spinoza

If I had to part with some pens it would be the newer ones that would go first. You would have to pry my "51"s from my cold dead hand to misquote B)

Jim

Obi Won WD40

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert!

If I had to part with some pens it would be the newer ones that would go first. You would have to pry my "51"s from my cold dead hand to misquote B)

Jim

Careful, OldGriz might start thinking about a pen finding mission to the UK :D

Tom-- I hope this post doesn't offend.

French