Novel Positive Displacement Filling System

fountainbel

Well done! I was thinking that something similar could be done with the Noodler's Ahab's "piston" filler, but this is truly brilliant! I love the collapsing rod and locking mechanisms - you beat me to it :thumbup:

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• raging.dragon

• hari317

• FLJeepGuy

Wow! What a work of engineering brilliance! I love the demonstrator with the orange ends, by the way--it's striking.

There is one thing that has my wondering though, can this be operated if you can't see the mechanism? it's pretty intense, especially compared to other piston fillers and other filling mechanisms. Do you need to see the mechanism, or can you operate it in the dark?

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

There is one thing that has my wondering though, can this be operated if you can't see the mechanism? it's pretty intense, especially compared to other piston fillers and other filling mechanisms. Do you need to see the mechanism, or can you operate it in the dark?

This is also my only concern.

While I can certainly imagine operating this system after playing with a demonstrator and memorizing the steps, its seems like doing it blind for the first time based only on instructions would be an adventure.

I fully understand your worries of both of you.

This is the main reason why the "non demonstrators" will have a long filling knob.

The filling knob covers the filling/anhcoring mechanism" when screwn on the barrel, but reveals the mechanism completely during the complete filling procedure.

The attched pictures shows the opened filling knob on an "olive green" HR OS pen;

Note however that the need to look at the mechanism will gradually disappear once one has filled the pen a few times and one understands the mechanism.

Francis

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h89/fountainbel/Khakiring003Kopie.jpg

however you'll do the filling procedure automatically after a few trials.

Edited by fountainbel

WOW! When can we buy it?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

You always seem to be one step ahead of any problems.

Thanks !

That's what I aim for, although I don't succeed every time !

Francis

What? Only $560? With that giant gold nib and a totally awesome filler? That's a REALLY good price. True - I can't afford it - but compared to other pens on the market it's a bargain!

WOW! When can we buy it?

As it looks now, the 50 pieces First Production Run of the "demonstrator" pens will become available by the end of April 2012.

Reservations can be made at : werner@conid.be

Francis

Wow, wonderful pen! Genial filling system! I just noticed this post, where the filling system is finally revealed. I had always speculated that the bulk filller would have been some sort of syringe filler. I had run some mental experiments about how to deal with storing the rod, but your solution is genial!

Congratulations Francis! And I am going to drop a note to Werner!

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

Wow, wonderful pen! Genial filling system! I just noticed this post, where the filling system is finally revealed. I had always speculated that the bulk filller would have been some sort of syringe filler. I had run some mental experiments about how to deal with storing the rod, but your solution is genial!

Congratulations Francis! And I am going to drop a note to Werner!

Thanks rhr2010, I'm sure you will not get disappointed !

Francis

Thank you Francis. I dropped an email to Werner yesterday, but no reply so far. Hope it didn't get in his spam box. I will try again in a couple of days.

Federico

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

Thank you all for the nice comments !

@dcpritch : several demonstrators are already reserved .

Please contact Werner at CONID if you want to make a reservation : werner@conid.be

Francis

How much for a demonstrator? Also, this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen, especially with the stick-slip cam that you put in there. That's one of the little details that will make this successful, I think.

I read this thread and it got my mind thinking. As another user mentioned its a bit fiddly.. as much as it seems fiddly from seeing it over the internet. I am not saying its not going to work,I am not depreciating the handwork and money that you have invested to get to a real product, I think its brilliant to see people coming up with ideas and to invest in them to a real world product.

So it got me thinking, if I were to make the ultimate pen filling device (which I am not, because I don't have the time) how would I do it?

http://i43.tinypic.com/if0f82.jpg

Excuse my horrible drawing/writing, im working on it :)

The idea of this method (which I have not seen) is... that it keeps the movement simple. Twist one way to push the piston towards the nib, twist the other to move the piston in the opposite direction (and hopefully suck ink).

The corkscrew does not move up or down the pen at any point, it simply twists on its own axis, the wedge (piston head/whatever) moves up and down the barrel.

I know the hardest part by far is ensuring a tight seal around the corkscrew to create a vacuum, but not so tight you cant twist the cap. But then again as I have read its harder to make a pen out of "precious resin" than it is out of metal.

Just out of curiosity did you come up with anything similar to this in your designs? Would you consider developing this into a pen?

Pierce

http://pierce.tv/uploads/fpnsig_pic.jpg

This gets me thinking, as ink capacity increases to the point where the pen is essentially a eyedropper with a nifty filling mechanism, will they run into the same problems as eye droppers, such as burping and inconsistent flow? I know feeds have been advanced upon, but there is still so much ink a feed can handle, and sometimes its more than just the feed's fault for eyedroppers' shortcomings. At the moment, I'm trying to run a Ranga model #2 eyedropper dry, and the only problem I ever get is that the ink sometimes gets choked off, from what I am assuming a bubble trying to exchange itself. I've never had this pen burp ink on me, and I'm really interested to see if it does because the feed is so primitive.

So in the end, my point is, with such large capacity, don't pens like this run the risk of having the same problems as eyedroppers? And if they do, wouldn't it just be simpler to use an eyedropper?

PS if anyone is looking for a simple way to fill eye droppers, just put your ink into an old contact solution bottle. Instant filling!

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

The idea of this method (which I have not seen) is... that it keeps the movement simple. Twist one way to push the piston towards the nib, twist the other to move the piston in the opposite direction (and hopefully suck ink).

The corkscrew does not move up or down the pen at any point, it simply twists on its own axis, the wedge (piston head/whatever) moves up and down the barrel.

Hi Pierce, you will have to find a way to prevent the piston from rotating as the corkscrew is rotated, so that the linear motion is ensured. or you will need sufficient friction between the piston seal and pen barrel wall to prevent rotation, in the latter case the motion of the piston will most probably be spiral.

Read more about retractable safety pens. the same idea is in use there to propel-repel the nib carrier with the anti rotation guide.

Best

hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.