Novel Positive Displacement Filling System

fountainbel

my bulk filler will take at least 60% more ink in

:yikes:

Looks like it's time to start buying ink in half-litre bottles, then.

"Perdita thought, to take an example at random, that things like table manners were a stupid and repressive idea. Agnes, on the other hand, was against being hit by flying bits of other people's cabbage." (Pratchett, T. Carpe Jugulum.)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1813132/pride.png

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• raging.dragon

• hari317

• FLJeepGuy

Is it comparable to a typical piston filler in terms of production cost, or significantly more expensive to manufacture?

Hi Jonro,

All parts of the bulk filler are precision machined from solid barstock, even the stainless syringe rod.

Knowing that most of the modern piston filler parts are actually injection moulded, the fabrication cost

for the bulkfiller is significantly higher.

Francis

I don't know much about filler system designs, but this looks slick. You may be machining it now, but how much of it can be converted to being molded? How about computer driven machining (or is that what you meant?) And finally, my very first thought, make a series of converters for cartridge pens!

I don't know much about filler system designs, but this looks slick. You may be machining it now, but how much of it can be converted to being molded? How about computer driven machining (or is that what you meant?) And finally, my very first thought, make a series of converters for cartridge pens!

Although I've made the protoytpes on a conventional lathe( & miller) the series will be fabricated on CNC machines.

As for moulding certain parts, this could be evaluated in the future.

Good idea on making a converter, we will surely think about that, Thanks !

Francis

Although I've made the protoytpes on a conventional lathe( & miller) the series will be fabricated on CNC machines.

As for moulding certain parts, this could be evaluated in the future.

Good idea on making a converter, we will surely think about that, Thanks !

Francis

it would be awesome to make a sheaffer style converter with the same dimensions as a sheaffer cart to make it fit in the cartridge only pens, and it would have a greater capacity than the normal sheaffer converters.

-Eclipse Flat Top-|-Parker "51" Aero-|-Sheaffer's Snorkel Sentinel-|-Esterbrook SJ-|-Sheaffer Imperial II Deluxe TD-|-Sheaffer 330-|-Reform 1745-|-PenUsa Genesis-|-Hero 616-|-Noodler's Flex-|-Schneider Voice-|-TWSBI Vac 700-

:thumbup:

I am glad you got your patent applied for. Be aware that patent in Japan will not be in force for some 3 or so years.

It's going to cost an arm and a leg to patent that world wide.

Genius is 95.8% sweating out the details. :notworthy1:

The other 4.2% is having a brain smart in that field. :clap1:

I'm not familiar with Japanese patent law, but I believe that international patent treaties have made international patenting much less painful and expensive than it once was. If I recall correctly patents filed in the EU are enforced in the US and most (though certainly not all) other countries.

It's nice to see a new filling system, or even a significant modification of a traditional filler. It is something which happens rarely in the fountain pen world. I also like that it is designed to be easily disassembled and maintained by the user.

Seems so obvious when you know how. That's the art of invention - fantastic idea Francis.

Also, most parts could be injection moulded with sufficient accuracy for major production. So far as I can see, the only part not capable of being moulded is the piston rod, and they could be machined in the hundreds of thousands without too many problems by a competent production machine shop.

Regards,

Richard.

Francis, is it feasible to make a 8-10ml ink capacity pen using the bulk filler? Will the feeder be the limiting factor to practical utilisation of the full ink capacity?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Well done Francis.

Thanks for giving the heads up on the CONID site, now I want one of their pens (and yours).

All the best with the production process,

:thumbup:

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer

I am constantly amazed at the efforts people go to to invent new filler systems.

Amazed probably because I rarely have a "ran out of ink at the wrong time" issue or the "my FP doesn't hold enough ink" issue.

The standard pistol converter works just fine for me all the time.

As an engineer myself, I praise the simplicity combined with the efficiency of your concept. This is optimization at its best, sincere congratulations, and best wishes of success :)

http://i.imgur.com/bZFLPKY.jpg

Francis, that is just cool! The combination of your careful description and the pictures makes it so that even I can "get" how it works. Thank you so much.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Francis, is it feasible to make a 8-10ml ink capacity pen using the bulk filler? Will the feeder be the limiting factor to practical utilisation of the full ink capacity?

Hi Hari,

One could surely increase the capacity to very high volumes, but as you mentioned the feeder

will be the limiting factor

As explained in my initial post we excecuted intensive tests together with our "testers".

All tests were done with "standard" bulk filler pens having a maximum ink intake of 2.5ml.

No blotting nor ink feed problems at low ink level were experienced.

The 3.2ml version is not yet as profoundly tested in these perspectives.

Besides fountain pens, the filling system can logically also be used for many other applications........

Francis

Edited by fountainbel

Seems so obvious when you know how. That's the art of invention - fantastic idea Francis.

Also, most parts could be injection moulded with sufficient accuracy for major production. So far as I can see, the only part not capable of being moulded is the piston rod, and they could be machined in the hundreds of thousands without too many problems by a competent production machine shop.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks fo your comment Richard !

We are fully aware many of the parts can be made using injection moulding;

However we will hopefully not restrict ourselves to demonstrators in the future : hard rubber, celluloid, etc will also come in the picture.

Before investing in expensive precision moulds we want to be sure the market is large enough to justify this investment.

The best way to find out is making a few series of fully machined pens and try selling these

The barrel f.e can be made by injection moulding ,but the barrel bore will always need toe be precision machined.

Francis

Francis, that is just cool! The combination of your careful description and the pictures makes it so that even I can "get" how it works. Thank you so much.

Thanks Wendy!

It gives me a good feeling hearing I succeded in explaining the system to non technical oriented people!

Francis

I am constantly amazed at the efforts people go to to invent new filler systems.

Amazed probably because I rarely have a "ran out of ink at the wrong time" issue or the "my FP doesn't hold enough ink" issue.

Hi Glenn,

I understand and respect your viewpoint.

However there are other users who complain about the low ink content of modern pens.

Some travellers are reluctant taking a bottle of ink accros the ocean...

This design overcomes the need to do so.

Even having the big ink content, the build in ink shut-off guarantees the pen will not leak in whatever circumstances...

Francis

Hi Glenn,

I understand and respect your viewpoint.

However there are other users who complain about the low ink content of modern pens.

Some travellers are reluctant taking a bottle of ink accros the ocean...

This design overcomes the need to do so.

Even having the big ink content, the build in ink shut-off guarantees the pen will not leak in whatever circumstances...

Francis

And many of us just like new, or otherwise different, filling mechanisms.