• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• in the flow

• The Good Captain

• Bogon07

• IWantThat

Nice review, and nice history lesson on the Catalpa :) Another entry in the waterproof, bulletproof category for those who want them.

Tamara

Any chance of getting a brighter picture? Being in shadow it just come across as black to me.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Thank you for the review, "in the flow." Unfortunately, I also only see it as black - so it's tough to see what the ink color really is like... :crybaby:

Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude with good company.  ~Lord Byron

it looks like a nice review, but i'm also waiting for a clearer pic to appreciate the color a bit better.

In response to the feedback: here is a second, brighter upload. Hope that helps!

ETA: mods, feel free to remove the darker image in original post

post-53294-0-59308700-1328420148.jpg

Edited by in the flow

I've a scrap of paper somewhere which is of Prime of the Commons after dipping it in bleach solution, then rinsing well and drying. It's gone Emerald Green too. I'll scan and post later - when I find it!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have found it!

So the scan below is of Prime of the Commons which I am only adding to this post as it seems very close to the Catalpa. Below is it 'normally!

fpn_1325443438__noodlers_prime_of_the_commons.jpg

Now is the scan of the ink having been put into a bleach/water solution that was in a bowl in my work kitchen - probably waiting for dish cloths or something.

fpn_1328441163__prime_of_the_commons_-_bleached.jpg

The paper was washed and dried afterwards and then I wrote below again on the dry paper. It's cheap recycled 80gsm copy paper of some indeterminate brand we have at work. Also it is not flay any more!

Note that P o t C goes Emerald Green too!

And that was the point of me doing this, in case any of you were wondering.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

• 2 weeks later...

In the flow, good to see a review of Catalpa. It is sort of like a greyish version of Noodler's Zhivago or Aircorp depending how it is flowing out of the pen.

The only thing I don't like about it is the name, I'd have called it Cthulhu Spit as I could imagine HP Lovecraft drafting his stories in it.

Coral Sea looks to be an interesting colour too.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

It's a lot lighter than Zhivago, and the green comes out more. I think Zhivago almost looks black. There's more of a greyish tint than Aircorps, yes, it's less "bright". Think green-blue-grey slugs, perhaps ;)

Is this a new ink, or an exclusive for a particular vendor?

I'm not sure how old it is but it is an Australian exclusive.

Along with Coral Sea (an Eternal ink. Waterproof & fade resistant)which is more expensive than regular Noodler's inks.

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink

• 2 weeks later...

It's a lot lighter than Zhivago, and the green comes out more. I think Zhivago almost looks black. There's more of a greyish tint than Aircorps, yes, it's less "bright". Think green-blue-grey slugs, perhaps ;)

It sort of reminded me of the colour of the ink on the US 1 Dollar note when I did my writing sample. http://www.justdaveyb.com/2011/11/writing-scans-of-inks-in-rotation.html

and comparison to J.Herbin Vert Empire and MB BRG http://www.justdaveyb.com/2012/01/ink-comparison-montblanc-brg-noodlers.html