What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Bookworm 709 with OS Jane Austen Violet. A very feminine pen with a very feminine ink.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Charcoal Kaigelu 316 and a TWSBI 580

I'm loving the Kaigelu 316, its nib has a stubbish quality to it!

I got the same two pens inked along with a Jin Hao 500 and Baoer 3040 ....

Yesterday I got to ink my Kaigelu 316 Charcoal (it had been sitting in the drawer for a while) with Diamine Oxblood.

and today it's the turn of my Jinhao Century II with Diamine Sherwood Green.

Both seem to be smooth wet writers (maybe a little too wet for my taste, but it's early days yet)

Today, as most days, I will be using one of the five members of my collection of Huashilai 3000's--for my tastes the best fountain pen to be had for under $50, and in fact easily found for under $10! (Photo below; I have posted a review of this delightful pen here.)

fpn_1379263958__huashilai_3000_5.jpg

I wish I could get my white marble to write better....love the pen's look. But it only writes at all when the tines of the nib are crossed.

Weird.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

@Miles (or anyone): Are the Huashilai 3000s still available? I didn't see them at ebay or Isellpens.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Thanks. I did see that in my search, but wasn't sure if it was the same pen. It sure looks like it. In any case, Miles mentioned in his review that the white veined ones were the most problematic.

~ George Orwell

My Huashilai 3000 is the only acceptable pen I have from that manufacturer. The other pens from that manufacturer I have (A053 & 2216) are so dire I'd recommend people stay away from them. The 3000 is a reasonable pen though, which makes the fact the others are so poor even more surprising.

Ah well. Today's pen is my K316 in charcoal. It's happily paired with an Onoto Magna Classic today and gives not a lot away in quality - just plating.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks. I did see that in my search, but wasn't sure if it was the same pen. It sure looks like it. In any case, Miles mentioned in his review that the white veined ones were the most problematic.

hmmm... I don't think the color and pattern of the cap has anything to do with the quality. i'm sure they have 2000 caps and the same amount of barrels and sections laying around and they just grab which ever and mix-match them. I think Miles just got a bad nib. he can switch the cap and the red one is now the bad one.

FYI, the Jinhao X750's section is interchangeable with these H3000.

hmmm... I don't think the color and pattern of the cap has anything to do with the quality. i'm sure they have 2000 caps and the same amount of barrels and sections laying around and they just grab which ever and mix-match them. I think Miles just got a bad nib. he can switch the cap and the red one is now the bad one.

FYI, the Jinhao X750's section is interchangeable with these H3000.

Your reasoning makes sense, but I was only going by what Miles R. wrote in a comment below his review. To wit:

I would also make clear that in this pen it is the white-marbled-finish ones that seem to be particularly prone to defects (both of the two in that finish that I have had as well as the one that Lovemy51 has have caps that don't fit perfectly).

~ George Orwell

Lovemy51 -- I wish I could, but I have no Internet connection at home for now, and my dinosaur cell phone doesn't take pictures. It's a burgundy pen with some black marbling and little sprinklings of (fake) gold dust. His Nibs had it a couple of years ago, but I Googled it and the picture was gone. I got mine from speerbob on eBay a few years back.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Lovemy51 -- I wish I could, but I have no Internet connection at home for now, and my dinosaur cell phone doesn't take pictures. It's a burgundy pen with some black marbling and little sprinklings of (fake) gold dust. His Nibs had it a couple of years ago, but I Googled it and the picture was gone. I got mine from speerbob on eBay a few years back.

Is this it ???

https://ru-ru.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150392186912705.353454.78639347704&type=1&comment_id=19787141&offset=0&total_comments=1

Yes, 51ISH, that's it! Thanks for posting the link!

Lisa in Raleigh, NC