What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Hero 1000 with R&K Leipziger Schwarz.

Despite the, imo, rather ugly Cross-inspired clip, I'd rate the 1000 as the best Chinese hooded nib pen I've used and also better than the two Parker Super 21s I've tried. So far, I've found it well worth its higher price point.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wing Sung 234 - R&K Blu Mare

Wing Sung 236 - DUX BB

Guanleming 2001 demonstrator - Diamine Red Dragon

Golden Star 565 - Noodlers Ottoman Rose

This week, it's a Jinhao 5000 with Lamy Black.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Hero 9300 loaded with Noodler's La Couleur Royale. Man, I had to work hard to get this pen adjusted to be both smooth and wet at the same time! But it's working well now. I wasn't sure that I'd like the carved polished finish, but in fact I do. Unlike brushed finishes, which can feel a little slick in my hand and force me to hold on to the pen more tightly while not actually in the act of writing, the carved polished finish gives a reliable, relaxed grip. There might actually be a lacquer or plastic coating on top to thank for that. Not sure.

Edited by mhosea

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

The J5000 is a nice pen. The balance is good & it looks great. The only thing I worry about is loosing the gold wash on the filigree, so I've not used mine as much as I'd like.

Regards,

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I have had good luck with the filigree on mine so far, but I haven't used it very much. I wasn't sure how my hand would respond to a pen with such extensive filigree, but it hasn't been a problem, and the pen is lighter than I thought it would be. And you're right, it's very well balanced.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Today's pen is the Jinhao Century paired with an Onoto Magna Classic. They are not as unevenly matched as the price differential would suggest.

Regards,

Richard

Interesting Richard, I had been looking at Onoto recently, I have a Jinhao Century sat in it's box (been short of time lately, hence my lack of posts)

think I'll ink that first :) ....only after my K316 :lol:

I was just enjoying my Wing Sung 233 and I have decided to purchase another Chinese pen. I need your help to help steer me to a good writer. I have the following criteria:

1. No hooded nibs

2. No lacquer over brass bodies ala Jinhao 159, 450, etc

3. The total price including shipping must be $10 or less

I welcome your suggestions. Please steer me to the best pen from the best supplier that meets these conditions.

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to reading your responses.

I guess since I just bought a second one shortly after buying the first, the "Wingsung 3203" (search eBay for that) is arguably my first choice here. The seller ahai006 shipped both my orders very quickly. I like the titanium color and styling of the pen. I'm afraid, however, that I don't really know what it is made of or what gives it the titanium color. Feels like anodized metal, but it's hard to say.

Unfortunately, I don't remember how well the nib was adjusted out of the box on my Wingsung 3203. It is my current practice to tune all Chinese pens before inking them, so I am no guide to out-of-box performance.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I think you'll need to assume that all Chinese pens will need to be tuned out of the box. As you should with all other makes unless they explicitly say they have 100% testing in the factory.

Regards,

Richard

The Wingsung 3203 is a good looking pen. I had not seen that one before. Thank you.

Later, that same day.

I took the plunge and ordered three Wing Sungs. A 270, a 271, and a 9902. I have read some less than complimentary reviews of the 271 so we will see. Now the waiting begins until they arrive.

Edited by Scribblesoften

I'd not seen the Hero 892 before. The section looks like the Parker 45. Shame it's a fine nib, I might have been interested otherwise.

Regards,

Richard

Hey Richard, mine is advertised as 0.5mm, which puts it in the M zone. Besides, the 892 takes Parker 45 nibs. I plan to swap in an OB.

Hi Guys

Just got this one to add to my ever expanding selection of Chinese Pens, A HERO 9601, built to their usual high standard. and made from heavy brass.

I feel a Duke D2 coming on next.

Paul

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HERO-9601-Fountain-Pen-Black-Medium-Hooded-Nib-FREE-SHIPPING-with-TRACKING-Nr-/00/s/MTIzM1gxMjAw/z/ZV8AAOxy--NRoNy1/$(KGrHqVHJE!FGNK(iUhGBRoNy1c09Q~~60_57.JPG

Edited by Paul80

Nice! It appears to be well built from your pictures. I like the clip and the Star Trek symbol.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC