What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Well, I recently bought 4 new Chinese pens with the intention of using some of my Sheaffer Feathertouch #5 nibs in them. Once I realized that I couldn't use the Sheaffer pens they came on, and how low the resale value of those pens was, I decided I might try to use the nibs with other pen bodies. One of the new Chinese pens, the Wing Sung 3203, accepted an excellent 14K slender and long Feathertouch nib from a heavily worn TD Statesman. I have that with me today, writing Noodler's Blue. None of my other gold nibs fit on the Hero 9300 that I bought, but the steel nib that came with that pen smoothed up nicely, and I also have it with me, writing Noodler's Nikita.

BTW, the other two pens I bought were a Baoer 68 and a Hero 91. The Baoer 68 isn't a perfect fit for the Feathertouch #5 from a Sheaffer TD Admiral, but it is not bad. The Hero 91 wouldn't accept any of my gold nibs, and it wins the prize for being the only one of the 4 that disappointed me, owing to a grip section that was less comfortable than I hoped and a cap that requires way too much force to snap or remove. The nib smoothed up nicely enough, I guess.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A somewhat obscure pen: Kunshilai 1245 EF Accountant.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f221/1159196d1374107952-review-kunshilai-1245-ef-accountant-01.jpg

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

First time inking my Guanleming 193 with J. Herbin Vert Empire. The pen comes with a Fude nib. A novelity, I think, unless I get used to writing with it.

I put away my Bauer 388 for a little while, and inked a Jinhao 186. Interesting pen with a hooded nib, and a needlepoint. Caps very hard, which is not so good. But writes nicely, especially for such a fine point.

JS

Cross Apogee with Sheaffer Blue.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

my Hero 329 is my daily carry, and it's a remarkably reliable workhorse pen. it had a pinhole leak in the sac when i first got it, but some silicone glue fixed that, and it's Just Worked ever since. maybe i could wish it were a little easier to fill, but it's got a decent capacity, fits my hand very well, doesn't leak or dry up, starts instantly... i keep it fed with Noodler's black and it puts ink on paper without any complaints or headaches. what a pen should do, really.

rats, now i want another one. maybe that 10-pack of 616's i saw for sale online mightn't be such a crazy idea after all... or maybe pay ten bucks more for a model 110? decisions, decisions...

A low-end Golden Star 535:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f221/1166312d1374648038-review-golden-star-535-02.jpg

Lynxcat,

The ten-unit retailer's pack of 616 seems attractive but as they tend to be Lishui-built, they can be a tad frustrating, and of course there are counterfeits too. It would be safer to get a Shanghai-built "Hero-Doctor" (colloquially known as "The Jumbo") in single-unit blister pack, as this tends to be the most reliable version.

For a short time 616's were also built in Wuxi, in addition to Shanghai and Lishui - the latter is a relatively new facility; the Wuxi-built examples are quite rare, I believe, and they are said to be of lesser quality. So, better play it safe and go for Shanghai-built examples.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Duke Complete Esteem in off-white with Duke Black.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

Luoshi 995 again - needs a better converter or cartridges to work brilliantly I think as it is very hard to get started without refilling the converter if it isn't used for a week!

The first one I got a Baoer 388, black with gold trim.

I was so surprised and pleased with how well it wrote that I got another one, a Shule 2212.

And now I am looking for more.

The only frustrating thing is most of the pens are only F tips (western XF), which is a bit too fine for me. I want a M tip (western F).

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hero 395 with Waterman Purple. I've been wanting to like this pen more than I do. Two previous uses and I am still so-so about it. I think my current ink choice may help with that. I've written about a page and it's been more enjoyable than recall.