What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Kaigelu 316 Amber loaded with Diamine Sepia and my Dolce Vita Naranja with Diamine Denim.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm new to the pen craze. I forgot about them long ago. Last time I used one was in 1982 in music school at Berklee College of Music to make jazz band arrangements. a borrowed Pelikan with a music nib (I didn't know at the time or since that the nib was special). Since then digital music notation has eliminated the need for such things, but, I prefer the old fashioned way.

Knowing nothing about this stuff, I recently bought a beautiful metal Hero 103 Silver pen with flower etchings, from China, thinking I might be able to write music again, but found that it's only good for writing. It's heavy and substantial. It doesn't leak, skip or smudge. The best part is it was only $14. Feels like a much more expensive pen than that. Despite the claim it's all metal, I think a few parts are plasticized metal or pot metal. In any case, for that small amount of money, it was a terrific deal and aesthetically it's pleasing. It's fun to write with too. I got it from SaSa Hwa's store on Aliexpress.com. Some of the sellers there are con artists, but this store is very legitimate. Shipments are quick and quality is good. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-NEW-HERO-103-SILVER-MEDIUM-NIB-FOUNTAIN-PEN-FLOWER-PATTERN/732856827.html

I got all excited and bought a Picasso 925 for $34 which someone said was the equivalent of a $200 pen in Australia in review. It will take a few weeks to arrive. I can't wait to get it and try it out. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PICASSO-925-FOUNTAIN-PEN-18KGP-M-NIB-black-swirl-hot/557035805.html

I also bought a cheapo $6.98 pen with an italic nib. It's the only Chinese pen I could find with an italic nib. I can't seem to find a pen with a music nib, at least cheaply, here in Korea, where I live and work. I can't search eBay or any of the shops at home in the USA. The shipping from there to here is outrageous. Can anyone recommend a Chinese pen, or any kind, with an italic or music nib that won't break the bank, which I can ship cheaply to Korea?

Thanks from the rookie.

Pete

post-104764-0-87353500-1371452105_thumb.jpg

Gui Guan 210 by SIPF; you can see how the designer played with alternating the three tones: gold, steel and black.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f221/1122775d1371359275-review-gui-guan-210-rimg0222.jpg

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Kaigelu 316 in Charcoal with Diamine Ancient Copper. Richard, I can see why you love this combo, it writes beautifully with a tiny bit of shading!

Maybe a new subtitle for the thread should be... It's all Richard's fault! ;-)

:blush:

Richard.

After three years of using fountain pens, broke my first pen last night. My Baoer 3018 "Sonnett" that I've only used a few times. Pulling the converter out, the part of the feed/section that you attach the converter to, broke off.

Is this systematic of Baoers? Of the 3018s? Or a fluke of rough handling on my part. It will determine if I get another one.

It isn't symptomatic of Baoer, however most of the Chinese pen manufacturers have variable quality control. Baoer/Jinhao tend to be one of the better ones. You may have been relatively unlucky.

Regards,

Richard.

I'm new to the pen craze. I forgot about them long ago. Last time I used one was in 1982 in music school at Berklee College of Music to make jazz band arrangements. a borrowed Pelikan with a music nib (I didn't know at the time or since that the nib was special). Since then digital music notation has eliminated the need for such things, but, I prefer the old fashioned way.

Knowing nothing about this stuff, I recently bought a beautiful metal Hero 103 Silver pen with flower etchings, from China, thinking I might be able to write music again, but found that it's only good for writing. It's heavy and substantial. It doesn't leak, skip or smudge. The best part is it was only $14. Feels like a much more expensive pen than that. Despite the claim it's all metal, I think a few parts are plasticized metal or pot metal. In any case, for that small amount of money, it was a terrific deal and aesthetically it's pleasing. It's fun to write with too. I got it from SaSa Hwa's store on Aliexpress.com. Some of the sellers there are con artists, but this store is very legitimate. Shipments are quick and quality is good. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-NEW-HERO-103-SILVER-MEDIUM-NIB-FOUNTAIN-PEN-FLOWER-PATTERN/732856827.html

I got all excited and bought a Picasso 925 for $34 which someone said was the equivalent of a $200 pen in Australia in review. It will take a few weeks to arrive. I can't wait to get it and try it out. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/PICASSO-925-FOUNTAIN-PEN-18KGP-M-NIB-black-swirl-hot/557035805.html

I also bought a cheapo $6.98 pen with an italic nib. It's the only Chinese pen I could find with an italic nib. I can't seem to find a pen with a music nib, at least cheaply, here in Korea, where I live and work. I can't search eBay or any of the shops at home in the USA. The shipping from there to here is outrageous. Can anyone recommend a Chinese pen, or any kind, with an italic or music nib that won't break the bank, which I can ship cheaply to Korea?

Thanks from the rookie.

Pete

I've had good luck with pokydady on fleabay, who ships from China. The Pilot 78g goes for about $10 USD and has both a B and BB (both italic). It's a lightweight plastic pen but writes well.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

It isn't symptomatic of Baoer, however most of the Chinese pen manufacturers have variable quality control. Baoer/Jinhao tend to be one of the better ones. You may have been relatively unlucky.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks. Replacing isn't a priority. I liked the 3018, but didn't love it. More inclined to replace it with the 388 Flighter look-alike or the pen getting so much praise on this thread, the K316.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/grapefruiit_/IMGP8270_zps5e2c0d08.jpg

Yiren 829 with plum blossoms. Beautiful to look at, feels beautiful in my hand, and writes really beautifully too :)

notebookerie (n): the art of keeping notebooks in one's daily life to harness creativity and maximise productivity.

I've had good luck with pokydady on fleabay, who ships from China. The Pilot 78g goes for about $10 USD and has both a B and BB (both italic). It's a lightweight plastic pen but writes well.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at it.

Pete

Notebookerie,

That's a nice looking pen. Have you used it much?

The only Yiren I have had deteriorated fast & it rather put me off. That may entice me back if it lasts well.

Richard

Hi Richard, I've only had this pen for a few days now, but I've already found that it's a little uncomfortable to use for long periods of time... it's not very smooth (jerks and skips a lot), and I can't blame the paper since my Lamy writes well on all the same surfaces. I think it might be because it's such a slim pen, and it keeps slipping into a weird position in my hand.

Shame, because I think it's such a pretty looking pen. Hopefully my Baoer 388 will be better!

Edited by notebookerie

notebookerie (n): the art of keeping notebooks in one's daily life to harness creativity and maximise productivity.

Yesterday I finished up the Ancient Copper in my Kaigelu 316, today it's the Luoshi 995 which loves MB Lavender Purple.

This week, it's a Guanleming 978 inked with Waterman Purple. (I have been going through a purple phase.)

Odd -- this is the first time I have used this pen, which is sold as an accountant pen, so it should have a fine or extra-fine nib; but it writes more like a medium to me. It does write nicely, though.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Lisa in Raleigh, NC

After three years of using fountain pens, broke my first pen last night. My Baoer 3018 "Sonnett" that I've only used a few times. Pulling the converter out, the part of the feed/section that you attach the converter to, broke off.

Is this systematic of Baoers? Of the 3018s? Or a fluke of rough handling on my part. It will determine if I get another one.

I'd agree with the QC comments already mentioned. I have noticed a few chinese pens where the cartridge nipple makes a very tight connection to the cartridge indeed.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Today's pen in my Jinhao Century Mk2.

It has Diamine Merlot in it, which, frankly, looks a bit odd coming from a blue pen.

Regards,

Richard

Where do I get some "Charcoal" for my K316....???

Have still not inked mine up yet.....I'm 'away'....with the fairies???

Recommendations for the Century II ....as it's your 'fault' I bought it... :lticaptd:

I'd almost suggest 'Baystate Blue', but it's not a great stuff for any pen. I've not actually tried it in the Mk2 Century. Diamine Sapphire Blue is OK, but turquoise isn't too bad either.

For the Charcoal, how about Caran d'Ache Carbon ( http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=&cat=ink&subr=black ). ;)

Today's pen is my K316 in Charcoal, though with the ink I have in it (Ancient Copper) I suppose it should be in the Amber/Grey K316.

Regards,

Richard

This week, it's a Guanleming 978 inked with Waterman Purple. (I have been going through a purple phase.)

Odd -- this is the first time I have used this pen, which is sold as an accountant pen, so it should have a fine or extra-fine nib; but it writes more like a medium to me. It does write nicely, though.

I have the Guanleming "978" Accountant pen. One of the more interesting looking pens. Mine is stiff as a nail and lays down what I consider a fine line. In fact, all my Chinese pens, except the Jinhao 159, I consider "fine" nibbed pens.

Currently I have my Wing Sung 233 inked with Noodler's Black and my newly purchased Nemosine Singularity Demonstrator (made in Taiwan) is inked with Pilot Blue. The Nemosine's pen body is finely crafted for the price. The nib has given me some grief, but I am working through it.

I'd almost suggest 'Baystate Blue', but it's not a great stuff for any pen. I've not actually tried it in the Mk2 Century. Diamine Sapphire Blue is OK, but turquoise isn't too bad either.

For the Charcoal, how about Caran d'Ache Carbon ( http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/showproduct.php?brand=&cat=ink&subr=black ). ;)

Today's pen is my K316 in Charcoal, though with the ink I have in it (Ancient Copper) I suppose it should be in the Amber/Grey K316.

Regards,

Richard

I'm away in Egypt at the minute....the Carbon looks ....OK.....but isn't Turquoise a 'girls' colour :ninja:

Forgot to say ....I have got to get me some of that Ancient Copper.....

Edited by 51ISH