What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Today it's the Beijing Jinxing A28 ....smooth as silk....

Enjoying it very much...but it annoys me how the pen spilts into 3 sections when you try to unscrew the barrel....

I must sort that one day... :rolleyes:

One of the smoothest nibs I own.... be they Chinese, German, English, blah blah blah

Me too is annoyed by the fact that it feels light, plasticky, and has a cheap simple link sac.

But the pen writes so well it is my favourite among others cost 100 times more!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today it's the Beijing Jinxing A28 ....smooth as silk....

Enjoying it very much...but it annoys me how the pen spilts into 3 sections when you try to unscrew the barrel....

I must sort that one day... :rolleyes:

One of the smoothest nibs I own.... be they Chinese, German, English, blah blah blah

Me too is annoyed by the fact that it feels light, plasticky, and has a cheap simple link sac.

But the pen writes so well it is my favourite among others cost 100 times more!

Me too....schhh....don't tell anyone.... :roflmho:

The only thing that annoys me is that I hummed and arrrhed....before I bought this pen... :rolleyes:

Luckily, I ignored my gut feeling and bought on the recommendation of a member here...not that I have ever done this before you understand....... :roflmho: :roflmho: :roflmho:

FWIW - and I only post this, in case someone else experiences the same problem.

Back on the 11th, I was whining and moaning about my new TWSBI Mini drying out, so quickly. Several good suggestions, and I checked them all, but nothing worked. I went so far, as to find an address to send the pen back to TWSBI themselves, for repair or replacement.

Well... yesterday, I "field engineered" a solution that's worked as it should, for the last 24 hours. I pushed out the non-user-adjustable feed/nib unit from the section, and got a short piece of about .32 gauge (AWG) copper telephone wire, and started shoving, reaming the feed hole in the end of the feed. I never actually "found" anything inside, that came out. But, it's worked perfectly ever since.

Yes, the problem may come back - but at least I know what to do, if it should ! Don't misunderstand, I'm not bashing TWSBI - there are far to many FPNer's that love theirs. Mine was just one that slipped out of the factory, not up to par. But, I thought if anyone else experienced this particular problem, they might try this procedure, before going thru the hassle of returning the pen and being without for however long.

Needless to say, this is my Chinese pen for today ! Diamine Bilberry, flowing perfectly and I like everything about it !

Take Care,

J.R.

Well I just go this Gold (almost pinkish) capped Hero 329 today. It came from Jewelrymathematics on ebay. It is a very nice writer, I really like it. The color of the barrel is close to British racing green. The ink is Noodlers blue eel.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8087/8479659717_769d205d25.jpg

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

i recieved my first jinhao x450 today, overall im enjoying it

Congrats show us a photo.

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

i recieved my first jinhao x450 today, overall im enjoying it

Congrats show us a photo.

Stock photo

post-99175-0-90585300-1361065254.jpg

That is pretty sharp looking

My pen for the day (and yesterday while I was marking out plasterboard (drywall)) was the Kaigelu 356. I really don't know another pen that I think could stand that treatment. Writing on brick, timber and plasterboard & going stright to paper elsewhere. Amazing pen.

Richard

Edited by richardandtracy

A Luoshi 995 which arrived a few days ago.

It cost me about £4 delivered which is silly really if you think about it!

I filled it with Mont Blanc Oyster Grey (Lovely) and it writes rather well.

Ive got a few Chinese pens in my collection now and I'm pretty pleased with the performance from them all.

Beejay

My pen for the day (and yesterday while I was marking out plasterboard (drywall)) was the Kaigelu 356. I really don't know another pen that I think could stand that treatment. Writing on brick, timber and plasterboard & going stright to paper elsewhere. Amazing pen.

Richard

Hi Richard,

That is, indeed, amazing performance ! I've noticed quite a similarity between the 356, and the Baoer 388... have you ever had the opportunity to compare the two ? I owned a Baoer, but gave it to a sister-in-law. (Not because I didn't like the pen, but because I like her).

As with all Chinese pens, I know so little, they could be made in the same factory, and I wouldn't know the difference.

Vintage pen for me today...only because it's loaded with my 'ink of choice' at the moment.

Take care,

J.R.

A Luoshi 995 which arrived a few days ago.

It cost me about £4 delivered which is silly really if you think about it!

I filled it with Mont Blanc Oyster Grey (Lovely) and it writes rather well.

Ive got a few Chinese pens in my collection now and I'm pretty pleased with the performance from them all.

Beejay

I have a Luoshi 995 as well, probably from the same source, and the value is incredible!

Today I received this pen in the post >>

post-95409-0-55448700-1361223099.jpg

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Though I have had it a couple months, I just inked my Jinhao 159 with Visconti Brown. The pen is everything I read it would be, smooth and comfortable in the hand. Produces nice shading with the Visconti. The right ink for a good impression.

... I've noticed quite a similarity between the 356, and the Baoer 388... have you ever had the opportunity to compare the two ? ...

JR,

I have done a comparison between the two, but diluted it with a comparison with the Parker Sonnet, Duke 209 and Hero 5020 at the same time. The review is here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222537-sonnet-comparisons-with-lookalikes/

I was in a freezer yesterday, at -24C doing some operation testing on a container in severe icing conditions, which involved chipping up to 2" of hard ice off parts of the box with a hammer & chisel. While in the freezer I had to write some notes and had my K356 with me, so used it (dragging the pen out from under many layers of clothing). Unfortunately after a few minutes of writing I dropped the cap, and it landed on the end, shattering the little kangaroo symbol moulded into plastic on the end of the cap finial. The kangaroo symbol is very thin and got cold quickly, so it was brittle by the time I dropped it. I was very disappointed in myself to have been so clumsy, but have to say in my defense that I'd been in the freezer for 25 minutes by then and was beginning to feel the cold at my extremities.

I really must get another of these great pens.

Regards,

Richard.

... I've noticed quite a similarity between the 356, and the Baoer 388... have you ever had the opportunity to compare the two ? ...

JR,

I have done a comparison between the two, but diluted it with a comparison with the Parker Sonnet, Duke 209 and Hero 5020 at the same time. The review is here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/222537-sonnet-comparisons-with-lookalikes/

I was in a freezer yesterday, at -24C doing some operation testing on a container in severe icing conditions, which involved chipping up to 2" of hard ice off parts of the box with a hammer & chisel. While in the freezer I had to write some notes and had my K356 with me, so used it (dragging the pen out from under many layers of clothing). Unfortunately after a few minutes of writing I dropped the cap, and it landed on the end, shattering the little kangaroo symbol moulded into plastic on the end of the cap finial. The kangaroo symbol is very thin and got cold quickly, so it was brittle by the time I dropped it. I was very disappointed in myself to have been so clumsy, but have to say in my defense that I'd been in the freezer for 25 minutes by then and was beginning to feel the cold at my extremities.

I really must get another of these great pens.

Regards,

Richard.

I hate damaging a pen, even if it was an inexpensive one. I hope you've warmed up now?

To replace lost end buttons, I have had some success with "Milliput Epoxy Putty" from craft shops. It is a two part mix in white, pale green or terracotta colours and the benefit of it is that whilst it sticks really well, in its soft state you can smooth it was a wet finger and work it into small spaces. You end up with a personalised pen that doesn't keep reminding you that you dropped it! Of course the putty costs as much as a new pen :rolleyes:

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

It's a thought, but I may use my lathe to make a new black button.

Regards,

Richard.

Best do it before the weekend mate....they reckon it will be as cold in your garage, as it was in that freezer by then.

:thumbup: