Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a Luoshi 995 pen :) 罗氏。

Thank you for that - I had trouble reading the script. One thing for certain is that it is a really capable pen.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

Today it's the Kaigelu 356 with Diamine Sherwood Green....and the Hero 5028 1.1 nib with Diamine Dk Brown....not very Dark Brown...won't be buying any of that....

Have you got a link for that Mike....I couldn't find it on Amazon.co.uk...

Edited by 51ISH

Went back to the Guanleming 2001 demonstrator, that I converted to eye dropper, today. I may run out of things to write down, before this thing runs out of ink !

Take Care,

J.R.

Today it's the Kaigelu 356 with Diamine Sherwood Green....and the Hero 5028 1.1 nib with Diamine Dk Brown....not very Dark Brown...won't be buying any of that....

Have you got a link for that Mike....I couldn't find it on Amazon.co.uk...

Sorry for the delay - haven't been concentrating. This is the link to the Luoshi

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008BY0DQ8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

A few weeks ago I picked up a really nice hero 329 (in dk green). It has really grown on me. I have been thinking about getting another Safari to use for everyday carry. But I think this 329 has ruined me for buying another Safari. I look at the price tag of the Safari and think about how the extra fine is not really a extra fine. Then I get to thinking about my 329 and how it looks so sleek and clean. How it writes so nice and feels good in my hand. Then I remember the great price of the 329. At that point I forget buying another Safari and go back to my go too seller and buy another 329 with the gold colored cap. I think I am hooked. :thumbup:

Do not let old pens lay around in a drawer, get them working and give them to a new fountain pen user.

I just inked my fairly new Wing Sung 322 with Noodler's Blue-Black. Nib is a little scratchy. I've worked to smooth it some and have been partially successful.

Went back to the Guanleming 2001 demonstrator, that I converted to eye dropper, today. I may run out of things to write down, before this thing runs out of ink !

I am quite smitten with my Guanleming 2001. Can I ask how you sealed up the barrel?

I just inked my fairly new Wing Sung 322 with Noodler's Blue-Black. Nib is a little scratchy. I've worked to smooth it some and have been partially successful.

I am quite smitten with my Guanleming 2001. Can I ask how you sealed up the barrel?

Hi Carl,

I just used about a nickel's worth of Ace Hardware 2-part epoxy. The 5 minute-setting version, that comes in twin tubes. Just mix it together with a toothpick, and then use the toothpick to apply it to the hole in the end of the barrel. And schmeared silicone grease on the barrel threads, just for insurance.

I didn't measure the actual amount of ink it holds (I will, IF I can ever manage to empty it), but it's around 3ml.

Take care,

J.R.

I used a Leez brand pen today. I've never heard of them, but AFAICT it's related to Wing Sung. It felt very cheap to hold, but it was a surprisingly smooth writer.

I just used about a nickel's worth of Ace Hardware 2-part epoxy. The 5 minute-setting version, that comes in twin tubes. Just mix it together with a toothpick, and then use the toothpick to apply it to the hole in the end of the barrel. And schmeared silicone grease on the barrel threads, just for insurance.

I didn't measure the actual amount of ink it holds (I will, IF I can ever manage to empty it), but it's around 3ml.

Thanks. Now I just need to find the ink I like enough to use for an entire 3ml's-worth of writing.

I used up all the ink in my Wing Sung 322 making squiggles on brown packing paper in an effort to smooth the nib. Flushed it and filled my recently purchased Baoer #3018 with the ink I bought this weekend--Noodler's Blue-Black.

The 3018 "Sonnett" is nicely finished, has good heft and balance. The nib presents just the slightest hint of line variation.

Like all the Chinese pens, it seems, the Baoer lays down a steady, consistent line. No skipping, no hesitation. If the finish hold up to daily usage, I'll be tickled pink.

While it's not overwhelmingly pretty, I just used instant crazy glue to paint over the hole on the Guanleming 2001. Two coats has lasted several months now with no signs of change.

I've been using a Hero 336 for the last two days, inked it up again after a few months of disuse.

I'm quite tempted to pick up a Hero 100/110/1000, but wish there was a good side-by-side photo shoot for these fellows so I could decide which.

When I wrote the check for this year's vehicle inspection I used my gray Hero 266 with black Parker Quink. A very nice combination IMHO.

Edited by McFortner

Foo! So many pens and inks, so little money....

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png fpn_1323303417__postcrossing_button.gif

Going shopping for pens this p.m. - I will carry the little Wing Sung 233, just to compare to any prospets. Currently loaded with Diamine Emerald, it's a consistently good writer. Comparing a $2.88 fp to, say a $50 TWSBI may be a little unfair, based on retail price, granted. But, I'm prepared to pay the extra money, If the more expensive pen gets the other features of a FP 'better'. Size/fit/style of filling, etc.

Admittedly, I have since found Diamine Soft Mint more to my liking, but I don't have any of that ink on hand, at present. Hopefully, if I can test a prospective pen, they'll allow me to dip it in Soft Mint, for comparison.

This doesn't mean I'd forego using the W.S. in the future, but I just want another pen. I suppose it's comparing apples/oranges, but I'm in the market for an "orange", so the price isn't a factor (up to a point). (Does any of this make sense ?)

I'll post results, if I find something.

Take care,

J.R.

Ah, just finished reading this entire thread from start to finish. I follow it on and off occasionally, but this time I wrote down a list of models that I might be interested when I'm up in China next. Hopefully the storekeepers will let me dip test nibs to make sure I don't get any that are too scratchy. Are there any other things I should look out for when testing the pens? Leaky inc sacs for instance?

Inquisitive Quill on Instagram and YouTube 

I have had one H616 sac be perforated by a sharp edge on a sac guard.

On a Jinhao I've had one convertor be so distorted that the piston plunger didn't touch the side during some of its travel.

Beyond that, the worst I've had is 'gold' plating be coloured laquer that scratches off very quickly (Leonardo), and painted surfaces lift fast (Huashilai). All-in-all the gold plating usually wears fast, but I've not come across any real systemic problems other than slightly variable QA.

Regards,

Richard.

Going shopping for pens this p.m. - I will carry the little Wing Sung 233, just to compare to any prospets. Currently loaded with Diamine Emerald, it's a consistently good writer. Comparing a $2.88 fp to, say a $50 TWSBI may be a little unfair, based on retail price, granted. But, I'm prepared to pay the extra money, If the more expensive pen gets the other features of a FP 'better'. Size/fit/style of filling, etc.

Admittedly, I have since found Diamine Soft Mint more to my liking, but I don't have any of that ink on hand, at present. Hopefully, if I can test a prospective pen, they'll allow me to dip it in Soft Mint, for comparison.

This doesn't mean I'd forego using the W.S. in the future, but I just want another pen. I suppose it's comparing apples/oranges, but I'm in the market for an "orange", so the price isn't a factor (up to a point). (Does any of this make sense ?)

I'll post results, if I find something.

Take care,

J.R.

Makes perfect sense. I'm just jealous that you have a real store to visit. :P

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Well, I made a successful trip. Gotta love shopping for pens in a real pen store !

And, I must admit - the shopkeeper DID sort of "lift an eyebrow", when I compared the performance of my Wing Sung, to the feel of his pens. I mean, the man had pens for sale, that cost more than the car I drove up in... But, all in all, a pleasant experience, with first-rate professional people.

I left with a Bexley 7503 Butterscotch, a TWSBI Diamond Mini (in black), a Rhodia A5 notepad and a free 80ml bottle of Diamine Bilberry. Total came to $100, and change. I'm not bashing online retailers, in any way (I've bent Todd Nussbaum's ear many, many times, talking pens), but standing in front of a 50-ft. display counter of pens is so much FUN !

Sailor, it's a 4-hour trip, each way. So, I don't get to go, very often ! And yes, as much as I like the new stuff, the Wing Sung stays in rotation.