What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Wing Sung 233, loaded with Diamine Soft Mint. Geez, the ink is worth more than the pen !

And a Guanleming 978 Accountant.

Take Care,

J.R.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very interesting "LE" or "SE" Jinhao, PAR!

edited: just realized the specs are way off. he calls it a RB, screw cap, white section... etc. i'm afraid to click to buy... :unsure:

Well, the seller has a very high rating. I'd take a shot at it if my bank account wasn't still recovering from buying Christmas gifts :roflmho:

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

After about a week of writing fine, my Hero 395 started to have in flow problems. I've flushed it and replaced it with my recently acquired Guanleming 2001. Filled it with Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue.

I am impressed with how smoothly it writes. I received two other Guanlemings in my last purchase. Looking forward to inking them.

post-78081-0-84762200-1327595712.jpg

I am using a Jinhao 888 Dragon Decent in copper because it is the start of the Dragon Lunar Year and my Duke 209 Frosted Black (Matt Black) Gold Trim.

I feel that the Jinhao 888 needs some tweaking as it a hard start and often skips (Maybe a more complete flush is needed)

But the Duke 209 is a dream to use.

The black one is the Duke 209 right? And the bottom one is the Jinhao 888 right?

Correct.

To be honest, when I tested the D209, I was astonished at how good a pen it was. The only thing that leads me to recommend the Kaigelu 356 ahead of the black Duke 209 is the black finish. In my experience (going back to a black Parker 25 in the late 1970's or possibly early 1980's) pens with painted finishes always chip and start to look scruffy after a while. The Stainless version of the D209 is a little more expensive, but is probably a better pen in the long term.

Still loving my K316 today.

Regards,

Richard.

Correct.

To be honest, when I tested the D209, I was astonished at how good a pen it was. The only thing that leads me to recommend the Kaigelu 356 ahead of the black Duke 209 is the black finish. In my experience (going back to a black Parker 25 in the late 1970's or possibly early 1980's) pens with painted finishes always chip and start to look scruffy after a while. The Stainless version of the D209 is a little more expensive, but is probably a better pen in the long term.

Still loving my K316 today.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard,

The difference is actually in the cost. The Duke 209 Matte Black is the cheaper set at 36 RMB while the stainless steel version is 69 RMB. This is because the stainless steel version is sold as a set with a calligraphy nib. Very similar to Sailor's Zoom nib. The Kaigelu 356 comes in 3 finishes, a Stainless Steel, Matte Blue and Lacquered Black. The recommended retail is 57 RMB. Of course, these prices are what you pay at a departmental store. Most eBay vendors get it much much cheaper.

For the record, I have a Kaigelu 356 Matte Blue, moded with a Noodler's Nib Creeper Flex Nib and Feed with Sailor Rikyu-cha. Which I use now and then. That sadly is the only China pen I am using at the moment.

Regards

SK

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Edit ...delete. The page somehow jumped to this page which I had browsed sometime prior. Sorry.

Edited by Tom Aquinas

Jinhao 500 today which is flowing nicely. Planning a weekend of letter writing (between working and toddler taming!) so will try and rotate a few!

Thanks to you to the several persons who replied to my very general question about Chinese pens.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I am trying to navigate these waters of Chinese pens, and will probably look at Kaigelu's.

Maybe Indian pens as well. Is there an equivalent thread to this one, for Indian pens?

Which Chinese pens? None.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Sheaffer VFM, matte black.

Well, it IS MIC..... Oh, but also my trusty Hero 616 with Sheaffer Green. Good match with the barrel.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Thanks to you to the several persons who replied to my very general question about Chinese pens.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I am trying to navigate these waters of Chinese pens, and will probably look at Kaigelu's.

Maybe Indian pens as well. Is there an equivalent thread to this one, for Indian pens?

You can use "CAMLIN" pens which are Indian pens and are very nice according to their price! :thumbup:

Yes there is. Almost the same name to the thread, just swap "Chinese" for "Indian".

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I have a HERO 91 filled with HERO black ink, a HERO 3106A filled with Private Reserve Burgundy Mist & a Jinhao wood grain pattern (not sure of the number) with a blue Jinhao ink cartridge in it. I plan to get more attractive pens later.

I'm a geek with a fountain pen.

Can anybody give me the link to the official website of Shanghai Hero Pens?!

Edited by Abhyudaya

I have a Hero 333, Hero 336, a Hero Special Edition and some Wing Sung large or open nib pens and Wing Sung Hooded nib pens! I intend to buy BAOER 8 Horses fountain pen(as named by "www.Hisnibs.com" or Baoer 507 as named by others!). :)

Can anybody tell me one thing? Does Baoer pens come in Baoer boxes? :)

Also, does the same model of Baoer pens come with different design of Baoer nibs? :)

Edited by Abhyudaya

You can use "CAMLIN" pens which are Indian pens and are very nice according to their price! :thumbup:

Airmail/Wality is another fairly good reputation brand. You should look at fountainpenrevolution.com and see which pens you like the looks of, then search reviews here.

Today I carried my amber/gray K316 and Jinhao Century, but didn't use either :rolleyes:

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

Is it just me or does it seem that nib should flex ala Pendleton Angel Wing style nibs?

After a visit to the old pen seller's shop here in Beijing, I find myself with two new pens that I am using today.

The first new pen is another Duke from the Uranus line. I fell in love with it because of its colour, and because it was so slim.

post-95862-0-97655500-1355673975.jpg

It was hidden in a box under a box in the small display he had set up, and I made the seller displace at least 4 other boxes until he got to it. He seemed genuinely surprised at the pen's existence Fortunately for me, the pen wrote very smoothly and almost soundlessly as the other Duke Uranus I already have. I just HAD to buy it.

The nib is very interesting

post-95862-0-21397500-1355674039.jpg

It has the aerometric type of filling, I don't like it very much as I cannot see how much ink I have and it does not look easy to clean. Oh well.

post-95862-0-40555500-1355674083.jpg

Here is it compared with my first ever fp - the black uranus, (which I finally identified as a black Crown Prince model from the Uranus line - 天王星系列太子笔)and with my second pen from today a Jinhao x450.

I loved the grip of the Jinhao, as a newly attracted to fountain pens, I find that my fingers tend to slightly turn the pen when I write, which makes me lose the sweet spot.

With the Jinhao's grip this is next to impossible.

post-95862-0-97708700-1355674100.jpg

Here are their nibs next to each other, Duke Uranus Crown Prince, Duke Uranus Mysterious Blue, and Jinhao x450 black with red nuances.

post-95862-0-46767200-1355674115.jpg

And the details on their feeds, because I find them fascinatingly different.

post-95862-0-27608500-1355674130.jpg

I love the these two Uranus pens!

Is it normal for pens to write so silently? They just glide...

On the way back we stopped by a Lamy shop and I tried a Lamy Joy with a 1.5 nib. I can foresee one of my next purchases....