What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

My pen choice for today:

Kaigelu 323....

(I am writing a couple of my "Christmas letters")

This pen is such a 'tease' ....it often 'prevents' me using my more expensive pens.... :hmm1:

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:roflmho:

I do like my K323 too. It really gives the impression of being a very expensive pen while failing to have a price tag to match.

The 10k gold nibbed K319 I have is similar (same material for the cap, though a different style) and is a worthy alternative to the gold nibbed Sonnets in both stylishness & feel. However, by Kaigelu standards, that was expensive at nearly £30 to the UK. ( http://www.kaigelu.net/en/Z.asp?ID=23&SID=175 Retail Price = RMB1378 or approx £150, I don't know a street price for it).

I may get one of the K335's soon with their mother of pearl inserts. I've been meaning to get one for a while, but always found something else that makes me think 'Ooh Shineee' instead. I must have the attention span of a gnat. Having said that, some of the mop Jinhao's look amazing too.

Regards,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I have been searching the bay for a long time and haven't seen the 319. Has anyone seen them somewhere?

Dave

:roflmho:

I do like my K323 too. It really gives the impression of being a very expensive pen while failing to have a price tag to match.

The 10k gold nibbed K319 I have is similar (same material for the cap, though a different style) and is a worthy alternative to the gold nibbed Sonnets in both stylishness & feel. However, by Kaigelu standards, that was expensive at nearly £30 to the UK. ( http://www.kaigelu.n...p?ID=23&SID=175 Retail Price = RMB1378 or approx £150, I don't know a street price for it).

I may get one of the K335's soon with their mother of pearl inserts. I've been meaning to get one for a while, but always found something else that makes me think 'Ooh Shineee' instead. I must have the attention span of a gnat. Having said that, some of the mop Jinhao's look amazing too.

Regards,

Richard.

Today's pen is the Huashilai 3000. Nice little pen for the money.

Regards,

Richard.

What color you got? My white-marble-cap model looks impressive but has a cranky nib.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

rdh,

Must admit they were uncommon last year. I've not seen any this year. The only ones I ever saw for sale were from e-bay seller pmstylus, but he's not had any up for sale for a while.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

Today's pen is the Huashilai 3000. Nice little pen for the money.

Regards,

Richard.

What color you got? My white-marble-cap model looks impressive but has a cranky nib.

My cap is the same, though the nib is good. I've done kit pens from this black stripe in white material, but never left the lathe turning ridges on the outside in the way Huashilai did. To be honest, the kit pen blank cost me more than this Huashilai. Nuts how economies of scale can alter the prices so much.

Regards,

Richard.

i just got this guiguan 630 pen in the mail. horrible nib! i happened to have a similar style nib in a wing sung i wasn't using cos' it was too small so i swapped them (that's the benefit of both pens coming from the same Co. maker, Hero). now it's just decent...

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/PB290036.jpg

I haven't had good experiences with Guiguan either.

Today I'm using my Go On, Lemming! 2001 and a Hero 616

Anyone with a Kaigelu 356 - can you confirm whether the nib is a #5 or a #6?

It's a #5, sort of.

The nib isn't exactly the traditional #5 size or shape, so while a #5 may go in, I wouldn't like to guarantee that the cap will fit afterwards unless I'd tried it. And I haven't.

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks to JemC, I've got my Guanleming 2001 converted to an eyedropper - today will be the "maiden voyage", in this configuration. It DOES seem to add a little heft, over the standard configuration. I may learn to like this little rig more and more (ugly, tho' it may be) !

Take Care,

JR

It's a #5, sort of.

The nib isn't exactly the traditional #5 size or shape, so while a #5 may go in, I wouldn't like to guarantee that the cap will fit afterwards unless I'd tried it. And I haven't.

Regards,

Richard.

Sounds like the Kaigelu nib's wings might be narrower than a typical nib?

That's the only thing I can iagine from the pictures I've seen. It looks seated with a typical distance between section & nib tip.

I should know by the end of the week first hand

e: JR - good luck! I find having a hooded-nib demonstrator to more than make up for the otherwise lackluster appearance

Edited by JemC

It's a #5, sort of.

Regards,

Richard.

:doh:

Sorry JemC ....I thought it was an either / or question..... :embarrassed_smile:

I stand corrected.... as you can see I am no fixit sort of guy..... :rolleyes:

Edited by 51ISH

I phrased my question as an either/or, hoping that no one would add a "fill in the blank" option :P

I'm certainly going to try and see what happens. Depending on how much I like the stock medium, I might just get creative with a random #5 nib until it fits

Speaking of Chinese pens and unorthodox changes, I'm been using my matte Bulow x530 with Pilot F nib a lot today.

If the cap wasn't quite so much wider than the barrel I'd keep it in rotation more often

I phrased my question as an either/or, hoping that no one would add a "fill in the blank" option :P

I'm certainly going to try and see what happens. Depending on how much I like the stock medium, I might just get creative with a random #5 nib until it fits

Speaking of Chinese pens and unorthodox changes, I'm been using my matte Bulow x530 with Pilot F nib a lot today.

If the cap wasn't quite so much wider than the barrel I'd keep it in rotation more often

:thumbup:

HEAVY workload today...sending Christmas cards, with personal letters enclosed in each. Whew !

Cards are signed with a certain Massachusetts-based ink pen, in Red and Green. Letters inside each card are written with a Wing Sung 233, using my new "blend" of pomegranate ink - a lovely *I think*, goldish-brown ink. Envelopes are addressed with the Guanleming 2001, using a "blend" of Parker Washable Blue, and Noodler's AF Blue. (It's actually better than it sounds, I promise).

Also involved in today's activities were a couple of gifts - a Jinhao Century Mark I, to my daughter. And a truly butter-smooth Baoer 388, to my favorite cousin - who expressed an interest, but lack of conviction, in "using" a fountain pen. Here's hoping she'll become a convert !

Take care,

J.R.

Tried one of the Chinese made Cross pens today, but the nib was so scratchy that I emptied it and put it back in the pen box. Might ink up a Kageleu and see how that does.

Edited by JonDoh

It's not what you look at, but what you see when you look.

Henry David Thoreau