• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pirre Paul's 325 clear green with Rohrer & Klingner verdigris.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8338/8179116593_c199c017db.jpg

Light and smooth pen, silky ink ... ideal for taking notes at work.

Sergio

Fatti non foste a viver come bruti ma per seguire virtude e canoscenza

--
(Dante Alighieri - Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI)

Today I loaded a Wing Sung 233 with Diamine Imperial Blue...it's making a darn good 'first impression', as I review my notes. The metal snap-cap is a little cheesy, and unbalances the whole package, so I'm writing with it unposted (which is fine, considering how it performs).

Hero 329 and Aurora Black. Hooded nib, with the dull "gold" arrow pointing the way to the nib. (ha)!

Wrote to two old friends with this pen today, and even I could read my own scribbling. Sure, it's cheap, at $2.88, but does every task I ask it to do. Writes a little dry, but always starts, and never skips.

(Caveat)... I bought 3 of these, and this is the better of them all. Possibly the pen/ink combo is the reason it works so well ?

Take care, everyone

JR

A Hero 616, Baoer 79, and Baoer 388, all given a bit of nib smoothing. Received the latter two today and already like them after said smoothing.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

Baoer 79 Black with Rohrer & Klingner lepziger schwarz.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8337/8185123442_81ce2660dd.jpg

Feeder and nib heavily trimmed to acquire right smoothness and solve poor starting problems (almost succeeded).

Sergio

Edited by ser.rep

--

Feeder and nib heavily trimmed to acquire right smoothness and solve poor starting problems (almost succeeded).

Sergio

I just got two in the mail yesterday - great looking pens. I flushed mine with ammonia and smoothed the nib with some micro mesh even before inking, inked it, then decided the flow (which was there) needed to be wetter. So, I sprung the nib a bit by carefully pressing down with a small nail file, then realigned the tines with my loupe. It had some feeding issues since this caused asmall gap between the feed and nib, but Ithink I may have just now resolved that by pressing the feed back up into the nib. We shall see.

Assume no affiliation to recommendations.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc453/NoodlersCreaper/sig0001.jpg

Alternative Noodler's Ahab Nibs

"Free" Custom Fountain Pen Cases

I must be easily pleased..... :rolleyes:

My Baoer 79 seems OK to me.....having said which, I don't like nibs that are 'Too wet' ;)

Oh...today I am using said Baoer 79.....Kaigelu 356......

And the Dolce-Vita Naranja (wish I had £5 for everytime I have posted this statement in this thread :wub: )

Today, and old friend: the Dolce Vita Naranja. Not only is this a beautiful pen, but it works without vices. It has a lovely, smooth fine point and (now that I have it cleaned out) a very consistent feed. It's heavy, but balanced well even when posted, and the cap snaps positively onto the top of the barrel for posting--a feature I like a lot with a heavy pen.

ron

Spent yesterday renewing my friendship with the Guanleming 978 accountant, and it's already in use this morning. It's an odd duck, but a pleasant one.

Richard - is your wife aware, of your "affair" with the Kaigelu ?

Take care,

JR

Umm, my wife introduced me to Kaigelu. :thumbup:

OK, it's not a Kaigelu she likes, but then she doesn't like many of my pens. It is strange, but the pens that are 'Parker-ish' she tends not to like and does like the ones that are a bit 'Sheaffer-ish', which I tend not to like so much. Strange.

Regards,

Richard.

I have inked up my Hero 616 jumbo, and am pleasantly surprised.

Although it is and F, it is smooth. That combined with the large capacity and the low evaporation rate

will guarantee high independence from the ink pot.

I also like the pens in which the transition from section to the body of the pen is very smooth without threads etc.

(As you can guess I like parker 45's and all the parker 51's clones.)

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

Sergio

I just got two in the mail yesterday - great looking pens. I flushed mine with ammonia and smoothed the nib with some micro mesh even before inking, inked it, then decided the flow (which was there) needed to be wetter. So, I sprung the nib a bit by carefully pressing down with a small nail file, then realigned the tines with my loupe. It had some feeding issues since this caused asmall gap between the feed and nib, but Ithink I may have just now resolved that by pressing the feed back up into the nib. We shall see.

I must be easily pleased..... :rolleyes:

My Baoer 79 seems OK to me.....having said which, I don't like nibs that are 'Too wet' ;)

Oh...today I am using said Baoer 79.....Kaigelu 356......

And the Dolce-Vita Naranja (wish I had £5 for everytime I have posted this statement in this thread :wub: )

The issue about chinese pens is the great and mostly unpredictable variability in quality of:

1. nib and feeder
  2. alignment of the set above.

Before I succeded in having a really usable Baoer 79 item, I had to buy three, mix in different combination their parts and then trim the best set.

May I have been particularly unlucky, but for sure this is not something a non-fp-enthusiast is expected to undergo.

In my personal opinion using a fountain pen, besides being a pleasure for who is interested in the matter, shall not be less practical than using any other kind of pen: the pen is still a work tool (at least in my understanding and common usage) and then must not give troubles when used. I personally can not stand pens that are poor starting or limping in ink flow, to say nothing about starving.

Best regards and let's enjoy our passion

Sergio

--

I'm using my new Hero 100 flighter today. In the beginning it had some ink flow issues but after some flushings with water and a bit dish soap, it works much better. I'm also trying to get acquainted with my new GuanLeMing 193 with an upturned caligraphy nib, but it just confuses me so far...