What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Aramchek,

Sorry you've had a disappointing time. I've not heard of the 'Lucky' brand, but after your experience, I'll actively avoid it if I see it.

You should have better luck with either the Jinhao or Kaigelu brands if you want to be a bit less adventurous next time - however you should get pens that write reasonably well.

Regards,

Richard.

Actually, I have a fair amount of Chinese pens I do like - mostly Wing Sungs, but also Danitu, Hero, Lanbitou among others. I just happened to end up using several that where not good in sequence.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just picked up three Chinese pens yesterday. A Jinhao 159, a Hero 395, and a Hero 616. The Jinhao is a big comfortable pen with a smooth, broad nib. I will have to see where this pen fits in my lineup. The Hero 395 has a fine, semi-flex nib that feels like it will get softer with use. I like this pen more than I thought I would. I purchased another 616 because, having given away may last one, I did not have one. This pen has not been inked as it will be used in a Frankenpen experiment. I have a Hero 110 that has a very nice smooth gold nib. The 110 is small and thin and does not get used because of it's size. I am going to see if the 110 nib will fit in the 616 body. Much fun. I bought all of the pens at isellpens.com. Cheers.

I cannot believe (well, I suppose I can, it's been a riveting read) that this thread has nearly 900 posts :yikes:

I wonder how much in £ or $... it has 'enabled' us to purchase Chinese pens....

Oh nearly forgot....Jinaho 159 (Pelikan BB) and Kaigelu 323 (Diamine Damson) today.... :thumbup:

China and India are the world's source for inexpensive pens right now. China has much more variety but someone should start up an Indian pen thread too. I think this thread is very useful to purchasers who are confronted with the many choices in Chinese pens. It is cheap fun too.

There was an Indian Pens thread, but it wasn't updated so often & seems to have dropped out of sight.

I think there are probably more manufacturers in India, but I think many of them are little more than 2-3 person operations (the sort of organisation that in the UK would be called a 'Fred in a shed') and as a result don't have the design facilities that the larger Chinese firms have. The net result is that more models come out of China and more traditional style 'Hand Crafted' pens come from India. My feeling is that the mass manufacture of Chinese pens makes them better value for money even though the personal touch is lost.

Regards,

Richard.

China and India are the world's source for inexpensive pens right now. China has much more variety but someone should start up an Indian pen thread too. I think this thread is very useful to purchasers who are confronted with the many choices in Chinese pens. It is cheap fun too.

I just bumped the Indian pen thread to the top by posting in it.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

I just bumped the Indian pen thread to the top by posting in it.

Thanks. It appears that I have posted in it before and had forgotten. :thumbup:

My Baoer 79 arrived today.... :clap1:

Will ink it up later or tomorrow.... (after a flush).....

But today has been a visit to the Opticians....and Doctors day.....

So pens have had to take a back seat... :rolleyes:

I have a Hero 9090 in my hand right now. I am testing it to make sure it has no flaws, ready to hand out as a Halloween treat to a worthy child. It is a small,pretty, dense pen with a hooded nib. I filled it with Pelikan Brilliant black and so far has needed no adjustment or smoothing of any kind. It has a shaped section and is suitable for a smaller right handed person.

Yesterday, I inked a Jinhao (un-named, un-numbered), sold on ISellPens as "Jinhao Celluloid", which is VERY similar to the Kaigelu 316 - which everyone here seems to appreciate, but simply did not fit my hand. The Jinhao is roughly 20% thinner and lighter, with almost the same writing quality (considering my poor penmanship). Also, the difference in price is evident, in that the Jinhao is cheaper looker, but with I think (time will tell), the same durability as the Kaigelu.

If the Kaigelu suits you, you'll probably enjoy it more - but if you have small hands, you might consider the Jinhao.

Kaigelu does not have blue. Boo Hoo. So I prefer the Jinhao.

Under the Mercy

My Huashilai A-053. I have just noticed that I have ink all over my hands from where it has blurped on me after taking the snap cap off. The pen is OK, just wish it was a K316 instead, as it's not a terribly good copy.

Regards,

Richard.

Baoer 79 with Diamine Imperial Purple......

Not sure about posting this pen.....despite it being 'screw on'.....makes it kind of back heavy...but not too bad....

What are your thoughts on this ???

My first 'real purple'......and I'm liking it more than I thought I would..... :rolleyes:

Yep, I know what you're thinking..... but, it's a 'girly' colour.....

Well.......I don't care .... :P

I don't think this will be my last purple..... :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Oh no....here we go again..... :headsmack:

Not sure about posting this pen.....despite it being 'screw on'.....makes it kind of back heavy...but not too bad....

What are your thoughts on this ???

I am quite happy with this pen. It looks good (modern) and it seems to have a good construction quality.

The test of time will tell if these too are true.

I usually do not post my pens, unless I am not in my office, in which case loosing the cap would seem very probable.

I thing that posting it would ruin the balance of the pen. Unposted is just fine.

Nick Apostolakis

Msc in IT, University of Glasgow

GPG ID: 0xBDF1848D

e-mail: nickapos@oncrete.gr

Web Site: http://nick.oncrete.gr

I was using a Hero 9090 to do some paperwork at the bank. The lady there said she liked it and wanted one like it, so I gave it to her, because it is International Fountain Pen day.

My first 'real purple'......and I'm liking it more than I thought I would..... :rolleyes:

Yep, I know what you're thinking..... but, it's a 'girly' colour.....

I really like Imperial Purple. It's posh, not girly!

Regards,

Richard