What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Today (and for the last few days) I have been using two pens I received last week: Wing Sung 233 and Jinhao 159. The Wing Sung takes some coaxing to get going, but I can't complain for the price that I paid for it. As far as the Jinhao 159 goes, I will simply add my voice to the chorus of folks who love this pen! Smooth nib lays down a nice wet line, and the pen is BIG but a pleasure to write with. These are the first Chinese pens I own, and I am very pleased with them!!! :cloud9:

jb500

"A witty saying proves nothing."--Voltaire

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have several Jinhao 159s. They are probably my favourite sub-$50 pens and in daily use.

One of them is a dedicated Kung Te-Cheng pen. wub.gif

I have a TWSBI 540 with me, and a new purchase, a Huashilai 3000 with a white with black stripe resin cap. This one seems to be a nice quality one where the cap fits well, it's reviewed here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/213784-huashilai-3000/

Regards,

Richard.

Inked up a Jinhua J707 from Wuxi, in British Racing Green; totally floored by its performance. The firm who made it is apparently still extant, they make pens and footballs; interesting combination.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f221/830609d1348557109-review-jinhua-j707-rimg0153.jpg

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

I am writing with a Jinhao 159. This is my second. My first was so-so. It had a flow problem. However, this one is awesome! I love everything about it. I cannot believe that they can manufacture such a good writing instrument for such a low price. It's actually very nicely made. I can't find anything crude or ill-fitting about it. It writes a medium, wet line, and does so consistently. The nib is stiff, but it doesn't matter, not at this price. I inked it up with PR Tanzanite.

Pens like this make me completely dislike most of the "mid-range" pens (maybe except for TWSBI 540), even pens around $100, simply, because most of the ones I've tried don't write as well as this Jinhao 159. I would put it in the same category as my Noodler's Kondrad: a low-priced, but high-performance pen that is incredibly fun to use. And I totally blame this forum for luring me into the fascinating world of Chinese pens. :thumbup:

http://bartus.org/media/IMG_6149.JPG

---

Please, visit my website at http://www.acousticpens.com/

For me, it's the Haolilai 601F, for the next several days. Loaded with Aurora Black. The Baoer 388's in reserve status, but only temporarily.

Still using the Kaigelu 356. I just cannot think of anything to say against the pen. It's very, very rugged and is standing up well against the use I'm putting it to.

Regards,

Richard.

:doh:

Another pen to add to my list :rolleyes:

Ordered yesterday ...... :headsmack:

And now the wait :rolleyes:

Oh....nearly forgot.....

Still using the Dolce-Vita Naranja and Kaigelu 323 loaded with Diamine Sherwood ....

and the Jinaho 159.....when I want to show off .... :roflmho:

2 Baoer 388's, one fine and one medium. These pens are really something else. I'm surprised that they perform and feel so well for such cheap prices. I also have a Hero 616 inked up somewhere around the house that this thread just reminded me of...need to go find it before it dries up :headsmack:

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

Just received a Kaigelu 316. Very nice looking pen. Heavy, but I'm ok with that. Wrote very smooth right out of the wrapper. Came shipped like a big sausage...no box just bubble wrapped....but was safe and secure.

Jinhao 1200 (the one that looks like a dragon)! Writes very nicely indeed. Got it currently inked with Waterman's Mysterious Blue.

Now I want another Jinhao, but a fine nib this time.

I'm writing an online serial thing. It's urban fantasy. And I have no idea how long it's going to run for.

Vens 329 with Aurora blue has been notating the most today. It's got a really fine line. Probably the smallest/lightest 'Flighter' style pen I have. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

I'm seriously contemplating being brave and using a FP at work (given that a black biro can vanish this is brave!) and am thinking of getting a bulk pack of Hero 616. I know there are some dodgy copies, are there reputable sellers out there and do the pens take standard ink cartridges (the thought of my colleagues with a bottle of Noodlers is too scary to even go there!)?

And at the moment my Chinese pens aren't in use as I'm finishing off a Lamy which is inked up!

I'm seriously contemplating being brave and using a FP at work (given that a black biro can vanish this is brave!) and am thinking of getting a bulk pack of Hero 616. I know there are some dodgy copies, are there reputable sellers out there and do the pens take standard ink cartridges (the thought of my colleagues with a bottle of Noodlers is too scary to even go there!)?

And at the moment my Chinese pens aren't in use as I'm finishing off a Lamy which is inked up!

The 616s are bottle fill only.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

Vens 329 with Aurora blue has been notating the most today. It's got a really fine line. Probably the smallest/lightest 'Flighter' style pen I have. Not sure if that's good or bad yet.

I have noticed the "Vens" brand pens, and I have totally failed to find out anything about them.

i've been busy for a while so i couldn't post...

this week i've been using:

Wednesday: Jinhao Century inked with Noodlers Zhivago

Saturday: my new Hero 395 that just got from Isellpens with a very nice springy nib. i also got a wingsung 233 in tan color. both inked with Thistle BB (powder ink mix).

I have noticed the "Vens" brand pens, and I have totally failed to find out anything about them.

it's probably by Hero... ??!! according to gthis source: http://viewitem.eim.ebay.ru/RARE-329-Flighter-Fountain-Pen-Parker-51-Style-Hooded-Nib-1980s-Retired/110801430169/item/index.en-US.html

spearbob had one of these for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vens-329-Flighter-Stainless-Steel-Fountain-Pen-Hooded-/350295609263

other than that... never seen one live.

I am aware of the seller of the first item on eBay too, judging by the other items he offers, his descriptions can be a little bit off. Many Chinese pens have parts so similar - to the point of being identical at times - that it's difficult to determine the manufacturer/assembler of any example unless it's branded and then some. I do have several pens branded, for instance, Wenhua and Jinlu, but nothing is known about them. Likewise I have one which is unbranded but most of its components are apparently the same as the other better known brands, and it's a Jinyan from Jinan. "Vens" could well be one of these.