What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

The only way I've managed to really fill them is to slip the sac guard off and manually squeeze the sac flat then allow it to fill that way. They usually don't fill too well because the breather tube is short. However, if you fill them this way you are almost certain to have the pen blurp on you. As the air in the sac warms up in your hand, all the ink above the top of the breather tube could get forced out as the air expands.

One way of curing this could be to modify it into a true aero with a long breather tube and an air release hole near the bottom.

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you for the answer. I did take the metal part over the sac off, it helped a little bit. And one of the pens did burp at me. I think I'll just live with them as they are. Even with the small amount of ink the converters suck up, it seems I still get at least more then a frustratingly small amount of writing done. It is a $4 pen, so...

Thanks again.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have five Chinese pens on order. Last night, I was thinking about picking up a Jinhao 159 and noticed that one of the main Chinese sellers at ebay had his listed for over $110.... :yikes:

I sent him a message asking why his price was so high; his reply was quick and cordial. He told me that he raised the price of his listing by $100 because he was out of stock and didn't want anyone buying any 159s from him until he had them back in stock.

He didn't say if he would refuse or refund any purchases he might get at the temporary price. :lol:

This seller may be about to learn about Veblen Goods ...

ron

My tiny Hero 366, I just had it rebuilt from scratch to correct some manufacturing issues, and it turns out to be very nice indeed.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Jinhao x750 that I made into an Oblique Broad ... what a great writer ... Sporting Noodlers' Gruen ink ...

I am still on my 007, and waiting for a box to arrive which includes several quite interesting ones, two that I am really looking forward to are the Hero 1000 and the Wing Sung 612A in "Flighter" style.

By the way, Vignette: I found out what "Lanbitou" means: "broken nib"! That's a bit of rare humour in it, something like a wheel manufacturer called "Square" :lol:

I LOVE my Hero 007! I couldn't bear to clean it so just simply refilled with the same ink (Waterman South Seas Blue).

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I LOVE my Hero 007! I couldn't bear to clean it so just simply refilled with the same ink (Waterman South Seas Blue).

I don't blame you at all; a well-behaving Hero hooded nib pen can be very satisfying. As a bit of a mackler (ask anyone from Leicestershire UK for what it means) I give every Hero I receive my "Phase One" mod which is a ground-up rebuild to the highest level of accuracy. When I feel really nutty I do my "Phase Two" mod which improves the ink filling efficiency so that they can take a full sac of ink. B)

In fact once I have finished the ink in my 366 I might just do that mod, as its filling efficiency is pretty low.

Edited by Seele

ST. Steel K356 as it's construction site proof. I'm on roofing duty today because we finished bricking the walls on our pigsty yesterday. When finished it'll be a 12ft x 14ft playroom for our children.

Regards,

Richard

I've had a Duke (I can't remember the model D23 Complete Esteem white (ebay link) ) for a couple of years now. It wrote smoothly, but was awful at starting up again. This week I finally got some micromeshs. I concluded that it had a baby-bottom nib, so I smoothed that out and inked it up.

My wife is giving it the acid test this week: use in a workplace. It's filled with Waterman purple. She's already received compliments on the pen and the ink colour. So far, no complaints about skipping or non-starting. This may make it officially my first repaired pen!

Please, what is a "baby bottom nib"? Thanks, Breck

P.S. Was this a medium nib? If so did you find it wrote toward fine?

Not quite using just yet. Getting ready to ink up is more like it. I was surprised that the Jinhao 159's size did not impress me. :P

Post inking edit: WOW this thing is smooth and wet! This is the first Jinhao I have experienced like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7678044658_bc6d51df36_b.jpg

Jinhao 159 vs. Edison Herald by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Edited by KrazyIvan

Just filled my new Bulow X450 (sure looks like a Jinhao X450) and it works great. The usual Chinese "medium" nibs are way too wide for me, so

I ordered one through xfountainpens.com that came with a "German nib." The nib does not say Knox on it, so I go not know the brand. In any case, it works great.

Testing my Wing Sung 613-1 today, trying to track down why it is reluctant to write first go after leaving it overnight capped. Otherwise, a nice one.

Not quite using just yet. Getting ready to ink up is more like it. I was surprised that the Jinhao 159's size did not impress me. :P

Post inking edit: WOW this thing is smooth and wet! This is the first Jinhao I have experienced like this.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7134/7678044658_bc6d51df36_b.jpg

Jinhao 159 vs. Edison Herald by IvanRomero, on Flickr

are we sure we are discussing pens? ;) lovely pen though