Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i don't have the Targa, but here's a photo of the Huashi and it's writing:

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P6230042.jpg

dimensions

length capped: 5 1/4"

length posted: 6 5/8"

barrel width: 1cm (13/16")

it's been a while since i picked up a chinese pen... with me using a P51 all the time now. but today i got my Lanbitou 886 out of the case and started taking notes with it. it's a pen that resembles the Wahl Eversharp Skyline. inked with PR Blue Suede.

Today I'm using a K356 and my broad nibbed home made Prototype #4 which is Blue/Black pearl (same material as the Mk1 Jinhao Century). Have to confess I prefer my pen. It's lighter, but the biggest difference is the nib size. I do much prefer Broad nibs, and the Chinese pens don't have them as an option yet.

Regards,

Richard.

Edited by richardandtracy

Finally inked my Jinhao 159 this week. First impression: when I actually pick it up to write, it is eye-poppingly large. Second: it is incredibly smooth--almost so smooth that the lack of drag adds to writing effort, but not quite. But then I'm not used to B nibs, and I'm sure that is part of the smoothness. Other than that, it's a well-balanced pen, the feed works uniformly, and there don't seem to be any vices. I would say it is a fine pen even if I didn't remember how little I paid for it. One curious point: even though the cap seemed too heavy, I find that the pen is better balanced for my hand when posted, rather than unposted. I'm really enjoying it.

So far, the 159 has started without fuss every time, even after a weekend of inactivity, so long as I remember to give it a little tweak to get the ink down to the end of the converter first. It does not like coated papers such as thermal paper, but that is no surprise for a B nib. The flow is set so that there is just enough ink to give rich color and interesting shading to that broad line, but not so wet as to flood small loops on letters or bleed on copier paper. Just about perfect.

I'm even learning to ignore the silly shield on the clip.

ron

I'm using a Hero 616 given to me by fountain pen loving colleague and friend. It seems differently proportioned to the Hero 616 Jumbo that I have and I wonder if it is a fake copy. Anyway it seems okay so far....

A Hero 700 "Eagle" today. Tomorrow, it'll be another Hero, but it was a gift and I haven't been able to identify the model number. Also in the rotation is a Hero Liseur 925.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png Life's too short to write with anything but a fountain pen!

Bookworm 675 for me today - fast becoming a favourite!

I'm still niggled with mine for the paint coming off so easily from the 'filigree' section & then my inability to replace the paint easily.

Today my pen is a K316 in Charcoal - very nice.

Regards,

Richard.

I currently have three Chinese pens inked. A GLM956 (I found out from this thread that GLM is short for Guanleming!), which is rather scratchy and tends to cut out paper fibers - the weird thing is that it varies how scratchy it is and I can't figure out what causes this. It gets less scratchy if I use very little pressure, but I have poor motor function and if I use that little pressure, I end up with waves instead of lines!

Another is the Wing Sung 322 with a nib that appears somewhat "inspired" by Shaffer. I like this one, it writes well, and seems reliable. Most Wing Sungs I have have been good.

The third is another Wing Sung, a 612. I think everyone can figure out which model inspired that one... It too is rather scratchy.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1386/fpnk.jpg

I also have the Lily combo, which I enjoy using, although it is not currently inked. One problem is that the space "wasted" on a ballpoint causes this pen to have a fairly low capacity for ink. Also, the ballpoint part has dried out, and I've no idea where to get refills.

To refill a Lily ball point, just cut a standard ballpoint refill to the same length as the original, if the diameter of the refill is to thin to stay in the threaded holder, wrap a bit of scotch tape around the end leaving the open end clear for air flow. & shove the refill in to the holder. Then test it for length in the pen. -- I have found that the JML Classic Pen Set - (As Seen on TV pen set) has refills included with it that work very well in the Lily combo pen, But you still have to trim them to fit. & you may have to needle file the hole where the tip emerges from a little to let the tip through. Just a little pensmithing.... ~Myk

I currently have three Chinese pens inked. A GLM956 (I found out from this thread that GLM is short for Guanleming!), which is rather scratchy and tends to cut out paper fibers - the weird thing is that it varies how scratchy it is and I can't figure out what causes this. It gets less scratchy if I use very little pressure, but I have poor motor function and if I use that little pressure, I end up with waves instead of lines!

Another is the Wing Sung 322 with a nib that appears somewhat "inspired" by Shaffer. I like this one, it writes well, and seems reliable. Most Wing Sungs I have have been good.

The third is another Wing Sung, a 612. I think everyone can figure out which model inspired that one... It too is rather scratchy.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/1386/fpnk.jpg

I also have the Lily combo, which I enjoy using, although it is not currently inked. One problem is that the space "wasted" on a ballpoint causes this pen to have a fairly low capacity for ink. Also, the ballpoint part has dried out, and I've no idea where to get refills.

To refill a Lily ball point, just cut a standard ballpoint refill to the same length as the original, if the diameter of the refill is to thin to stay in the threaded holder, wrap a bit of scotch tape around the end leaving the open end clear for air flow. & shove the refill in to the holder. Then test it for length in the pen. -- I have found that the JML Classic Pen Set - (As Seen on TV pen set) has refills included with it that work very well in the Lily combo pen, But you still have to trim them to fit. & you may have to needle file the hole where the tip emerges from a little to let the tip through. Just a little pensmithing.... ~Myk

Myk, i use the fisher universal refill (not the pressurized one). it has a thinner needle nose point that fits thru the hole perfectly.

regards,