What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

yes.But dont remember the shop.Hooded chinese pens are common.

Tatai, that is some impressive collection. Thanks for all the eye candy!

Today I'm doing a literal shootout between the Guanleming Accountant Pen (forgot the model #) and the 'James Bond' pen, Hero 007.

And having a great time. Two good pens, interesting similarities and differences. I should be posting results soon. Look for the shootout on my blog.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost all the pens discussed here come with cartridge convertors which allow the use of bottled ink or can be removed so that International size cartridges can be used instead.

Pens with fixed filling systems are in the minority, and tend to be restricted Hero hooded nib pens (like the Hero 616, 100, 329 & 330). These pens can only be used with bottled ink. However as it's much cheaper per cc to buy bottled ink than in cartridges, that's no great hardship, and the range of colours in bottled ink is much greater than in cartridges. For a look at the range of bottled inks in the UK see http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?brandid=3 and http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/ink.php . Note that the Diamine range of cartridge colours on their page is probably as wide as any ink manufacturer's.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard: many thanks for the information and for the site links. I am stunned by the colours you can get in Diarmine inks. Do you know whether Diramine cartridges will fit Parker (Sonnet / Rialto) and Cross FPs?

Richard: many thanks for the information and for the site links. I am stunned by the colours you can get in Diarmine inks. Do you know whether Diramine cartridges will fit Parker (Sonnet / Rialto) and Cross FPs?

Parker use their own size and it's not the International size. I'm told that Lamy cartridges fit Parker, but have never tried. I don't think anything else does. Unfortunately you'll only get 6 standard colours (Red, green, blue, blue-black, black, & turquoise, I think).

If you get a cartridge convertor for your Parkers, then the 30cc bottles of ink are cheaper than a box of 18 cartridges, so you can get more colours for your money.

Regards,

Richard.

Putting the new Kaigelu 365 through the paces today. I filled it with Waterman Mysterious Blue. Did have to adjust the nib for better flow and the converter was broken. The seller is sending me a new one.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8159/7179065479_3503e65f39_z.jpg

Kaigelu 365 by IvanRomero, on Flickr

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7179064473_673c604ee1_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7083/7364291990_dff71b5d8a_z.jpg

Ivan,

That K365 looks nice. I've not tried one yet. The nib looks the same as the K356, and the body vaguely reminiscent of the latest incarnation of the Parker IM. Maybe you could do a review some day.

Today's pans are, boringly, the same as yesterday. A Jinhao Century Mk2 and the K356. The replaced ball in the K356 convertor seems to be working well.

Regards,

Richard.

My go to is a black Jinhao x750 with Waterman black.

Seconds are a red Jinhao x450 with Private Reserve Copper Burst.

And I just got a package of a bunch of fake Hero 616s that write surprisingly better than anticipated. I've got one on the go that's filled with Private Reserve Sherwood Green and I'm having a feeling that it's going to work it's way in to being my everyday/beater pen due to it's incredible affordability.

Ivan,

That K365 looks nice. I've not tried one yet. The nib looks the same as the K356, and the body vaguely reminiscent of the latest incarnation of the Parker IM. Maybe you could do a review some day.

Today's pans are, boringly, the same as yesterday. A Jinhao Century Mk2 and the K356. The replaced ball in the K356 convertor seems to be working well.

Regards,

Richard.

Richard, you are right the 356 and the 365 do look very similar and probably both are Parker inspired. The feed shows a #2. I have never had one with that small of a number before, IIRC.

I decided it needed some line variation so I ground the nib last night. I think I may get a little more agressive with this one and go all out full italic with this nib. The nib is very soft steel and lends itself to grinding very fast by hand. It caught me a little off guard and I almost botched my first nib.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7367636236_7915488e18_z.jpg

fpnthread by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Lol, I have that same magnifying glass.

Today I'm still using the 'Accountant,' a GLM whose number I forget. I was absent that day in school.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Today I'm just finishing up with the Hero 336, which is finally running out of ink--very gracefully, I might add. I have to say my impression of this pen kind of startles me. It doesn't have the heft or the perfect balance that I experience with an original Parker 51 (YMMV) but in every other respect--fit, finish, writing experience, reliability--it is the equal of the 51 and for my taste superior to the 21 and the 45, both of which I love dearly. I'm going to regret rotating this one out.

ron

Apart from one of my beloved Jinhao 159s (filled with Diamine Meadow), a new pen: a Crocodile 168

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDUwWDYwMA==/$(KGrHqJHJB!E8e782CmdBPNjt15VYw~~60_3.JPG

My go to is a black Jinhao x750 with Waterman black.

Seconds are a red Jinhao x450 with Private Reserve Copper Burst.

And I just got a package of a bunch of fake Hero 616s that write surprisingly better than anticipated. I've got one on the go that's filled with Private Reserve Sherwood Green and I'm having a feeling that it's going to work it's way in to being my everyday/beater pen due to it's incredible affordability.

I'm using a "fake" Hero 616 today and it writes even better than the real 616 that I purchased from Isellpens. :ltcapd:

It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.

Einstein

Here is one that I haven't used for awhile that may be of interest. A Hero 850 enters the rotation. This one has a very wet medium nib. Sorry for the blurry iPad pic.

Dave

post-30860-0-09487700-1339693209.jpg

rdh: Woah! That's a gorgeous pen. I kind of love the integrated nib look.

tujack: If I recall correctly, the fake Hero 616s use a standard Chinese nib. So, if you like a fake Hero 616, you'd probably also like the nib in a lot of the unbranded Chinese pens (and they can have fun designs ^_^ I have two of them).

As usual, my primary pen is the Hero 616. It's a bit boring, but everything about it just works so well...

Here is one that I haven't used for awhile that may be of interest. A Hero 850 enters the rotation. This one has a very wet medium nib. Sorry for the blurry iPad pic.

Dave

One of my all-time favorite Chinese pens! Thanks for the reminder.

ron