What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Just received a Baoer 801, dark blue frosted finish, today. Of course, I dropped everything to try it out!

Such a nice pen! I did rinse it with a bit of soapy water first, like someone recommended me, and then inked it with Waterman Blue Black...I figured that was a safe choice of ink. It writes smoothly without scratchiness and its level of fineness is just what I like.

The seller on eBay even sent a tiny, cleverly folded origami personal note with the pen!

Overall, I'm very pleased. (This is a photo, not a scan, so it's not that sharp, but hopefully good enough for folk music...).

fpn_1337705667__baoer_801_sample.jpg

Edited by 2GreyCats

"What the space program needs is more English majors." -- Michael Collins, Gemini 10/Apollo 11

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have been using my new Baoer 388 and comparing it with my Sonnet Black Laque and I have to say there isn't much between them! The Parker has a somewhat better finish to the barrel and cap and feels a bit more "expensive". It is also a slightly smoother writer, but it's a very close thing.

John

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Brown Argus, would you consider doing a side-by-side comparison review between your Sonnet & 388? I suspect I'll be doing one with a 388 when I eventually get one, as I did with the Hero 5020. However when you get more views on the subject you're more likely to get an accurate impression.

Regards,

Richard.

Brown Argus, would you consider doing a side-by-side comparison review between your Sonnet & 388? I suspect I'll be doing one with a 388 when I eventually get one, as I did with the Hero 5020. However when you get more views on the subject you're more likely to get an accurate impression.

Regards,

Richard.

I should be sending it over soon. Just needed to confirm the address.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

Hero 616 cheap and writes and writes and writes ... no skipping etc ...

Have been using my new Baoer 388 and comparing it with my Sonnet Black Laque and I have to say there isn't much between them! The Parker has a somewhat better finish to the barrel and cap and feels a bit more "expensive". It is also a slightly smoother writer, but it's a very close thing.

John

i got the Kaigelu model. all i can say is that the nib of the Kaigelu is much smoother than the Sonnet's.

parts are not interchangable.

only problem, the vendor sent mine with a broken jewel and tho i was able to fill the hole with black epoxy, i scratched the heck out of the clip ring while sanding/polishing the new jewel :crybaby: . well, i did get my money back and i was able to keep my scratched Sonnet clone!

oh, did i mention that the Sonnet's clone from Kaigelu has a nice springy nib?

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P5220018.jpg

A whole lot of Chinese pen eye candy for the day:

fpn_1337759414__2012-05-23_174717.jpg

Hero 660, Guanleming (unknown model, but it is WAY prettier irl), Wing Sung 103, Duke 209, Wing Sung 236 and Guanleming 2001.

Edited by Nonsensical

oh, did i mention that the Sonnet's clone from Kaigelu has a nice springy nib?

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/P5220018.jpg

Wow, that's nice.

I do like that. The nib on my K319 is springy, but as it's a gold nib I've not wanted to damage it, and haven't pushed it far to see how flexy it really is.

Regards,

Richard.

A whole lot of Chinese pen eye candy for the day:

fpn_1337759414__2012-05-23_174717.jpg

Hero 660, Guanleming (unknown model, but it is WAY prettier irl), Wing Sung 103, Duke 209, Wing Sung 236 and Guanleming 2001.

The cap on that Wing Sung 103 is rather nice. Shame that they usually come with fine nibs.

Oh. Today's pens are a Kaigelu 323 and a Jinhao Century Mk1.

Regards,

Richard.

The cap on that Wing Sung 103 is rather nice. Shame that they usually come with fine nibs.

Oh. Today's pens are a Kaigelu 323 and a Jinhao Century Mk1.

Regards,

Richard.

This one came with an EF nib...but it looks pretty replaceable, I took it apart to have a little look :thumbup: . The Guanleming 2001 nibs tend to write between F/M, and probably would fit...they're silver, though.

1337675167[/url]' post='2352811']

Regards,

Richard.

I am currently preparing one - just need to get the photos done!

John

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Regards,

Richard.

I am currently preparing one - just need to get the photos done!

John

That's great. I look forward to it.

Richard.

A little late, but this week I inked up a Guanleming 2001 demonstrator (as seen in Nonsensical's eye candy, above) with Waterman Habana. Wow! For the price I expected a decent but undistinguished pen, kind of a robust Preppy. But this one can stand with the inexpensive hooded Parkers. The size and weight are close to a P 21, but the hood, feed and very elaborate ink collector appears to be modeled on the P 51. The nib appears to follow the 51's cylindrical design more than the shape of the flatter Parker nibs.

To my surprise, the press-bar filler actually fills about 2/3 of the sac. (I took the metal guard off and repeated the experiment, and didn't get any more ink than with the guard on.) The nib, between a Western F and a Japanese F, is quite smooth, but still gives you some feedback about the surface texture. The feed starts a little wet if the pen has been sitting for a while, but it starts at the first touch to the paper, and after a cm or two is feeding very uniformly. The sweet spot is moderately large, if a bit hard for me to keep track of because the hood is transparent. Balance is perfect for my taste. It lacks that heavy, luxurious feel of a Parker 51 and the absolute uniformity of flow, but in every other respect I'd rate it as just as fine a writing experience. Certainly this pen is the equal of the good hooded Heros for my taste.

ron

Anyone want to play with 2 inexpensive Chinese pens? Both write smooth fine lines, but dry out too quickly for my taste or patience. Best for someone who wants to tweak the nibs slightly.

Both are Free to one good home. Shipping within US only.

-baoer 523, medium nib (writes like f or almost xf)

-jinhao 602, fine nib (writes like xf)

See descriptions at http://www.stationeryart.com/writing-instruments-fountain-c-21_24.html

PM me (please do not reply to this thread) with your name and mailing address. And, for fun, let me know your favorite pen and ink.

These have been claimed.

Due to a mind like a sieve, I have 3 at work with me today, the K323 which I left on my desk last night and the 2 Jinhao Century pens.

As the weather has got warmer I've started to notice that the barrel of the Century Mk2 is showing little ridges between the different parts of the plastic mix used for the barrel. I wonder if they will disappear when the pen cools or if they are a sign that the plastic is unstable. I have noticed such ridges on other highly figured plastics, including my P&B Parker Duofolds, so I'm hopeful they are just from thermal expansion.

Regards,

Richard.

today: Jinhao Century

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n419/peterpaul_rguez/461497480_o.jpg

Just a K323. My other pen today is my home made prototype 4 (the one I showed at the end of my Jinhao Century review), which after a year of fairly regular use is standing up well - somewhat better than the gold plating on the Jinhao Century Mk1.

Regards,

Richard.