What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n522/Guardevoir/Pen%20and%20Writing%20Stuff/DSC_0077.jpg

My replacement nibs arrived, which I bought specifically because I wanted this pen modified but didn't want to destroy its excellent nib... so of course, now that I had the replacements, nib modification had to happen.

I like my Italics as crisp as humanely possible, because I genuinely find those more comfortable to use than more rounded nibs. Guess I like to know if I start to get sloppy - and as long as I don't get sloppy with the nib angle*, it writes as smooth as it ever did.

The entire modification took me 20 minutes - 16 of which were spent adjusting the ink flow, because the pen tends to be a bit of a diva if the nib isn't *just* right. Guess the feed isn't *that* good, so the nib has to compensate. It's still a bit finicky, but eh. I wasn't exactly planning to use this for more than a paragraph at a time anyway, so the feed has ample time catching up.

*which almost never happens, because Italic nibs were a huuuuuuge fad when I was in grade school, so I basically learned to write with them and kept on using them almost exclusively for some two, three years. Made for some horrifically ugly exercise books back then, but I sure learned a few lessons about Italic nibs in the meantime. Alas, good pen handling =/= good handwriting.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Diamond 61 Panda Fountain Pen

It is an old Fountain Pen from 1980s, 2.75" tall with cap .

Ink - Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue .

post-134601-0-03744000-1489848416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stefan-Ionut-Marius
I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

Thornton's Office Supply disposable fountain pens, F-point nibs. 12-pack of pens in twelve different colors, each pen under $1. Received them yesterday, and so far they write very well, gliding effortlessly over the paper.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

This evening's writing is being done with a Jinhao X750 - B. Nib. Private Reserve Avocado.fpn_1488343457__jinhaox750pink3.jpg

I absolutely love thecolour of your pen

Carolyn

Hero 340

Hero 340 - It is a Fountain Pen with a hooded nib .

Length 5-5/16" ,

Filling System - It is aerometric ,

Color - Metal barrel and cap lightly lined and gold plated , with a black plastic section .

Nib - A fine hooded nib .

Ink - Pelikan 4001, Royal Blue .

post-134601-0-87843600-1489925258_thumb.jpg

Ionut - Marius

Does anyone have any other suggestions of old style chinese hooded nib fountain pen's .

These are the pens that I have in this style: Hero 340 , Hero 329 (old) , Hero 332 , Hero 336 , Hero 330 , Hero 007 , Hero 338 , Hero 616 ( small ) , Hero 616 (Jumbo) , Hero 616 - 2 , Wing Sung 612A , Wing Sung 712 .

Ionut - Marius

Picasso 915 Ruby, inked with Montblanc Corn Poppy Red. A happy match!

Practice, patience, perseverance

Wing Sung 101/102/103/104/105/106 .. all the 10X series are gold nibbed pen with 12K gold nib, and differ only in styling. 101 and 105 is basically the old style ( like Hero 616 / Hero 100 / Hero 330 ) . My personal favorite is the less well received 103 which is again same style with some flair. 102 is all steel flighter version of 101, 104 & 106 had metal barrel and styling to match ( chiseled, plated etc ... ) Hero also had other hooded nib model with 12K/14K gold nibs but they tend to be far and few in between and not really styled the old fashion way.

Wing Sung 612, 613, 801, 802, 803, 812, all are similar to the 712 where the 612 is the original model (its numbered 612 simply because its introduced 1961 Feb .. lol ). Wing Sung had some interesting color in these models that are genuinely not available on others. 728 and 729 ( had to admit I am not quite sure about the numbers, but about that ) is the version that also house a Ballpoint on the barrel end , same as Hero 612

Gold Star 565 , or its modern reincarnation, Hero 565, the fattest hooded nib pen bar among the lot, styled ( on the barrel end ) like Sheaffer PEM. The Hero 565 is very new re-introduced so always no need to worry about aging

Hero 616 and 329 Aluminum powder coat painted barrel version ( with etched graphics ) functional vise no different than than the normal ones but the finishing and the build is definitely a notch better. Not to mention the metal construction is more robust

Hero 335, an aluminum barreled version of the 330 , just like 340 but with TIG plated gold color in checkered pattern and always had with a Fude Calligraphy nib, fairly scarce among the 3XX series ( I mean the nib )

Almost all the other brand had one or two model that's pretty much the Hero 616 or Wing Sung 612 styled. differ mostly in cosmetics and dimensions say the Gold Star 703 series is fatter than the 616 but generally the same ( not in their parts though )

Edited by Mech-for-i

I'd like to thank user Mech-for-i for the informative posts on the relationship of the various Chinese pen models. Good information!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Hey Chinese pen fans: I was in the process of checking on prices for several types of Jinhao and Hero pens, many of which are only available direct from Chinese vendors.

From time to time, I would place orders through MISTER TAO and despite a somewhat cumbersome procedure, I was able to buy several pens at good prices and even replacement and conversion kits for some of the Hero pens I had purchased. This morning, I came across the following message on the Mister Tao site:

Dear valued customers:

We regret to announce that, due to new Chinese government policies on international trade, MisterTao will cease to operate on March 31st.

New orders are not accepted. Already placed orders are processing and shipping as per usual.

Any remaining deposit in user accounts will be 100% refunded. We are processing with the refund transaction now. Please get in touch with our Customer Service to have your refund issued.

We thank you for your companionship and trust in us over all these years. Truthfully, we are incredibly sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Don't hesitate to contact us if any question please. Our Customer Service Email box: services@mistertao.com

Anyone have more info on this new policy? Looks like we have no access (through this site at least) to an otherwise interesting market.

BTW if this isn't posted on the correct topic, kindly let me know....

working for my greek exams...

jinhao 500 w Monopol Red

Wing Sung 233 w Parker Quink Blue (Probably best chinese pen I used)

Jinhao Peony Flower w Parker Quink Blue

and there is a MB on another side...

post-129732-0-42148200-1490038630_thumb.jpg

It's all Greek to me...

I love the Peony flower. There really are some charming pens from China. I have a number on order . today I am using a red Hero 3048 -it is beautiful, hooded nib, delicate to write with. I tried to post a photo and I do seem to have the photos on the FPN site but cannot quite get them in to a post.( I am working on it.) I very much enjoy the photos of other peoples pens. Thank you all.

Carolyn

My Workers.

fpn_1490112573__workers.jpg

fpn_1490112635__workers_script.jpg

The 2 Jinhaos and the Huahong are ever present, the other 2 will be swapped when the inks finished.

Not coming quick enough with the Kaiduoli. :lol:

Ian

Ah the photos a great, i wish i could do that, i think i can by taking a picture with my phone and then using computer and not ipad to sign in. I love the Hero 3013, is it a converter or an aerometric filler style?

Carolyn

Ah the photos a great, i wish i could do that, i think i can by taking a picture with my phone and then using computer and not ipad to sign in. I love the Hero 3013, is it a converter or an aerometric filler style?

Hi Carro

I can only upload pics from my laptop, and not my phone, it may be the same with pads etc. but to be honest I'm not sure.

The 3013 is a very nice pen.

I find it has a lovely balance to it, and it's a converter fill.

Ian

Jinhao 8802 Plum Flower - #5 Med. Nib. Ink mixture: Chesterfield Antique Mariner & Noodler's Ottoman Rose (produces a plum color, which is hard for my camera to capture)

fpn_1490154125__jinhao8802plumflower3211

fpn_1490154250__jinhao8802plumflowerinkm

Hero 329

Hero 329 - It is a Fountain Pen with a hooded nib .

Length 13.4 cm ,

Filling System - It is aerometric ,

Color - Plastic barrel in burgundy red and metal cap , with a burgundy red plastic section .

Nib - A fine hooded nib .

Ink - Pelikan 4001, Royal Blue .

post-134601-0-73073000-1490171513_thumb.jpg

Ionut - Marius

Hi Carro

I can only upload pics from my laptop, and not my phone, it may be the same with pads etc. but to be honest I'm not sure.

I've mentioned this before, but you take the pix with your phone (ipad, etc.) and then email those pix to yourself. Then on your computer open those emails and save the picture attachments. Then they are on your computer and you can upload those pix to FPN.

HTH

esc

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.