• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really love my $0.99 Jinhao X450 filled with Diamine Prussian Blue. Maybe I just got a miracle one but it is super smooth and nice and wet.

I really love my $0.99 Jinhao X450 filled with Diamine Prussian Blue. Maybe I just got a miracle one but it is super smooth and nice and wet.

All of my Jinhao x450s have been like that except 1 - I've bought about 20 so far. I love to give them away as gifts..

I'm packing a pair of Jinhao X450's in my jacket pocket today, inked with Hero Blue-Black. These are the 99 cent specials. I've tuned & polished them, and I use them. And if I see someone writing with a b*** p****, I'll try to trade them up.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

I love my Jinhao 611, but now that it's been cycled into more frequent use, I find that the paint is just sloughing off of it. Eventually it's going to be bare metal (to which I will apply a sealant and keep on using it). Has anyone else had this issue?

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

I love my Jinhao 611, but now that it's been cycled into more frequent use, I find that the paint is just sloughing off of it. Eventually it's going to be bare metal (to which I will apply a sealant and keep on using it). Has anyone else had this issue?

I don't own the 611, but I do have several models of Jinhao pens in my small collection. My oldest Jinhao pen is well over 5+ yrs, and there has been no sloughing of the coating on the pen. My 599a's have not experienced any chipping or sloughing as of yet either. My 159 is approximately 4 yrs old, and again I have not had that problem. Do you carry your pens in a leather pen pouch?

I don't own the 611, but I do have several models of Jinhao pens in my small collection. My oldest Jinhao pen is well over 5+ yrs, and there has been no sloughing of the coating on the pen. My 599a's have not experienced any chipping or sloughing as of yet either. My 159 is approximately 4 yrs old, and again I have not had that problem. Do you carry your pens in a leather pen pouch?

My working/daily use pens just ride in my pocket, no pouch, with no other hard objects to bang into. I think it might be a reaction to skin oil, but I'm not sure. Even so, I think it'll look nice as brushed steel (or aluminium, or whatever the metal is) once I get a sealant onto it. I might even hold off until I get a plating kit and put a layer of sterling on it, or black chrome.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

trdsf, in some instances individuals excrete corrosive chemicals in their sweat. This is certainly true of many who have had their gallbladder removed. Perhaps this explains your problem?

My working/daily use pens just ride in my pocket, no pouch, with no other hard objects to bang into. I think it might be a reaction to skin oil, but I'm not sure. Even so, I think it'll look nice as brushed steel (or aluminium, or whatever the metal is) once I get a sealant onto it. I might even hold off until I get a plating kit and put a layer of sterling on it, or black chrome.

If you plate it with sterling, I hope you post a snap. I would love to see what it looks like.

trdsf, in some instances individuals excrete corrosive chemicals in their sweat. This is certainly true of many who have had their gallbladder removed. Perhaps this explains your problem?

That is an interesting observations about an corrosive chemical in sweat. When I look at my Jinhao X750 & X450, I have not experienced any chipping or sloughing, and they look new. Apart from the pens I daily use and keep in my pen stand, my pens remain in pen cases. Those in my purse remain in a pen caddy I machine knitted, or in a leather pen pouch. I do know I cannot wear rings with copper in them, for I get a dark ring around my finger. I was told that this has to do with acidity.

I have in fact had mine out, twenty years ago this year -- it's a complaint that runs in the family. I have no kin older than I, and not many within ten years younger, that still have their gall bladder.

I don't suppose this counts as a superpower... :D

If you plate it with sterling, I hope you post a snap. I would love to see what it looks like.

I will so do! I think it'll look interesting. I'd like to find a good sealant -- maybe a clear nail polish? Or is there a chemical reason not to use one of those?

I seem to have very acid skin. I do a fair bit of machining of steel, and have to be careful about cleaning it after I've touched it, or rusty fingerprints appear in a day or so.

Anyway, painted surface on my pens seem to lift fairly quickly, eg the paint on the section of the K356. Interestingly the paint on the K316 section hasn't lifted for me.

Regards,

Richard.

I don't wear any jewelry of any sort, so I would've had no opportunity to find out if I have an odd reaction to metal on skin. Apparently this is my equivalent of having a ring turn green...

Stainless steel Jinhao X750 with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (from the Goulet Ink Drop this month). What an unusual ink. And talk about fast drying! Long writing sessions may lead to effects not unlike the desperation of a lonely man on an ether binge.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

Stainless steel Jinhao X750 with Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng (from the Goulet Ink Drop this month). What an unusual ink. And talk about fast drying! Long writing sessions may lead to effects not unlike the desperation of a lonely man on an ether binge.

How do you like the ink drop?

I'm on the x450 bandwagon as well : got a couple of the 99 cent black/gold ones after they were posted here.

They were exceeding any and all expectations when they got here : tines and flow were perfect right from the beginning.

I suspect that the gold plating will come off in a while, but only time will tell.

-k