• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always loved pens. I had not used a fountain pen in years. My older son gave me an Amazon gift card and I have gone a bit crazy, ordering multiple pens on Amazon and ebay (all Chinese). I had no idea that Chinese pens were so good for such reasonable prices. I was rather surprised reading the reviews.

My latest is the Jinhao X750 checkerboard pattern. It arrived yesterday. Great size, weight and balance. Writes like a dream. Extremely smooth with excellent ink flow. I generally enjoy all pens I have received (although I did throw out a Baoer that was 99 cents due to breakage). I have a bunch of Jinhaos, Dukes and the Chaplin commemorative (very heavy and short, but I love the way it writes and caps). Several need some smoothing so I ordered a loop and some micromesh.

I really enjoy this inexpensive hobby (it is a lot cheaper then buying lenses for my digital cameras).

I am open to any recommendations.

I really enjoy this inexpensive hobby (it is a lot cheaper then buying lenses for my digital cameras).

Keep it inexpensive. There are many more fountain pens just as expensive (or more so) than the lenses for your digital camera than there are lenses for your digital camera.

A friend of mine pulled out his MontBlanc Meisterstuck 149 (about one grand here in Canada) so I pulled out my Jinhao 159. I paid less than one percent of what he paid and my pen writes every bit as well and every bit as smoothly. With the money I saved, I'm just over half way to being able to purchase a Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L macro lens.

(Apparently, the "L" in these Canon lenses means that they are as expensive as L. Perhaps we could talk Jinhao into making camera lenses!)

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

Keep it inexpensive. There are many more fountain pens just as expensive (or more so) than the lenses for your digital camera than there are lenses for your digital camera.

A friend of mine pulled out his MontBlanc Meisterstuck 149 (about one grand here in Canada) so I pulled out my Jinhao 159. I paid less than one percent of what he paid and my pen writes every bit as well and every bit as smoothly. With the money I saved, I'm just over half way to being able to purchase a Canon EF 180mm f/3.5 L macro lens.

(Apparently, the "L" in these Canon lenses means that they are as expensive as L. Perhaps we could talk Jinhao into making camera lenses!)

Actually, back in the day (1980s) I had a MontBlanc 149, a gift from my father. I believe at that time, they were about $100.00. I left the pen at my home when my wife and I separated. I asked her for the pen. She claimed our younger son broke it and she threw it out. I placed a curse on her (for that and several other reasons). Eventually, she needed a cervical fusion.

The first pen I purchased with the gift card was a Jinhao 159 (black) and that is what has inspired my other purchases. I bought a 159 in orange, several X450s (with extras as gifts), X750 etc.

Welcome Mendy

To our friendly gathering of Chinese pen nutters.

There are many who will gladly offer recommendations, and part of the fun is buying and trying, especially when the costs are so low.

I'd say, have a rake about the various threads and see if anything takes your fancy, then ask about it and gather opinion, then dive in.

Most of all, enjoy what you get, and have fun.

I still can't resist the pull of these low cost pens, and it is a joyous thing when you find something that is really "you".

And remember "cheap" only refers to the price.

Happy hunting.

Ian

Welcome!

I've had some nice Hero pens that didn't cost a lot. I really like the 616-2 Parker clones. Nice, well made pens for not much money.

I have always loved pens. I had not used a fountain pen in years. My older son gave me an Amazon gift card and I have gone a bit crazy, ordering multiple pens on Amazon and ebay (all Chinese). I had no idea that Chinese pens were so good for such reasonable prices. I was rather surprised reading the reviews.

My latest is the Jinhao X750 checkerboard pattern. It arrived yesterday. Great size, weight and balance. Writes like a dream. Extremely smooth with excellent ink flow. I generally enjoy all pens I have received (although I did throw out a Baoer that was 99 cents due to breakage). I have a bunch of Jinhaos, Dukes and the Chaplin commemorative (very heavy and short, but I love the way it writes and caps). Several need some smoothing so I ordered a loop and some micromesh.

If you like bigger, heavier pens, my favorite right now is the Jinhao 159 with the addition of a Goulet nib. Total outlay is under $22 and it's been a joy to write with.

If the skinnier pens, my favorite is the Jinhao 15.

Some of my Baoer pens are nice to write with but I don't care for them as much. The nib & feed are harder to get out of the section with my Baoers which frustrates tuning and cleaning. I like to stay on top of the preventative maintenance with my pens, so it's important to me that they are straightforward to disassemble. The nibs/feeds are friction fit like the Jinhao's, but the tolerances are much tighter which sometimes requires the (risky!) use of pliers to get the pen apart. The Jinhaos, on the other hand, just take two fingers and a quick tug,

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

Slightly under the weather with the first cold I have had in sometime. Spent a bit of time cruising the internet. Could not turn down a deal on Amazon. For less then $12.00, I purchased 4 X250s in assorted colors. With prime it will be here by Sunday.

I do not know if I received an exceptional example of a X750, but the one I received the other day is phenomenal. Smoothest writer so far (although all the Jinhao received have been good to very good). The one received is the checkerboard. I have a speckled one on the way and just ordered a red and mat black on ebay. Is there any significant difference in the Jinhao models other then size, weight and shape?

My wife thinks I am nuts, but I suppose others on this forum have significant others who feel the same way. At this point I hope to slow down a bit. I have a loupe ordered with some micromesh for smoothing. I plan on ordering a few flex nibs. I ordered a 4 pen carrier. Any other suggestions?

Mendy

Generally the Jinhaos are all good, and vary considerably regarding size and weight etc.

My 750 is also very smooth, and a brilliant writer.

One pen that everyone who owns one recommends is the Kiagelu 316, and no wonder, it is outstanding.

You should have 1 on your hitlist.

Ian

Did not think I would like a small, lightweight pen, but the Duke 250 is a gem. Smooth as glass. Matt black finish is great. Clip is a bit tight, but considering the size, it is the perfect pocket pen.

Did not think I would like a small, lightweight pen, but the Duke 250 is a gem. Smooth as glass. Matt black finish is great. Clip is a bit tight, but considering the size, it is the perfect pocket pen.

Sorry. My mistake. It is the Duke 209.

One pen that everyone who owns one recommends is the Kiagelu 316, and no wonder, it is outstanding.

You should have 1 on your hitlist.

Ian

I second Kaigelu 316 - a stunner, built like a tank, great writer right out of the box. Amazing value for money.

Practice, patience, perseverance

Today I'm still using the Baoer 027 from the other day's show & tell, inked with Majestic blue..

And, the Baoer 388 that I used as a comparison inked with sapphire blue.

Both are excellent and very smooth.

I'm also using a very slim Shuli pen with an ef hooded nib, inked with diamine quartz black, to fill out forms with tiny boxes.

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

My Jinhao 3005 My wife's Jinhao 3005 got it's first refill from the bottle today.

I'd invited my wife to peruse my pens, all of my pens, and take the one that she liked the most. She went for the Pilot 3005, which was a relief to me that I didn't have to replace anything more valuable or dear to me. :) She's been using it heavily since then and when she complained that it seemed "off" I reminded her that it needs to be refilled periodically. Opened it up, showed her the empty converter, and handled it for her. If she keeps it up, I'll get her a bottle of ink of her own to keep at her own desk.

It's funny... I'd never thought much of the pen but then it doesn't fit my large hands very well. She, on the other hand, says it fits her hands very well and turns her nose up at the thicker pens that I prefer.

Magnus | Raleigh, NC [uSA] | @Magnus919 | TerraMagnus

I recently got a Wing Sung 239 which the convertor fell apart on me almost immediately. That almost part allowed me to write with it for a few minutes and that imitation Triumph nib was awesome. Means I gotta fix it so it works. This is one of the two best nibs I ever got on a chinese pen.

post-125788-0-35873200-1454647983_thumb.jpg

The other is Luoshi 739 Confucious pen (feels like a fine nib). GREAT out of the box and it likes the Private Reserve Chocolate Brown ink.

post-125788-0-24564400-1454647793_thumb.jpg

I can't speak to quality control but man- I lucked out on these. Both cost less than $10- free shipping.

dan