What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Haolilai 801. Stunning pen - the amber/black shimmers. 14K gold nib that is smooth and delightful. Took forever to get the pen to start when it was new, but now it's nice and reliable. It's one of my two go-to pens at work (the other a blue/ivory Nussbaum JR).

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been messing around with a Wing Sung 613-1 for the past week or so.

The pen itself looks nice, is quite decently made and is actually very comfortable to use.

The nib, however, is a bit iffy. It's very fine and sometimes writes nicely with a bit of feed back and at other times writes drily with a decent bit of scratch. I'll give it a good cleaning and try some other inks in it first, but may eventually resort to some ghetto nib smoothing on it.

And there's also an unpleasant, sour smell about the pen, which seems to emanate from the rubber (?) ink sack. Hopefully it's just from sitting around in a warehouse for a decade or so and will fade with a good cleaning and some time.

I was pleasantly surprised by the filling mechanism, though. It is a bit of a pain to use, but I've been able to consistently get it about two thirds of the way full by squeezing the ink sack manually instead of using the metal press bar. And given the fineness of the nib, that amount of ink actually lasts quite a while.

Overall, I'd say I'm fairly satisfied with it given the price I paid.

Edited by tendollarword

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

My first Chinese pen arrived today. Jinhao x750 Lava Red. I've put Noodler's Ottoman Azure in it. Very smooth, and juicy. I prefer a finer nib, will probably replace it with a Goulet nib.

2 Chinese pens today.

Baoer 3035 black, filled with diamine onyx. A fantastic pen, super smooth wet writer that I can't help but reach for.

Picasso Swedish flower king, dark blue, filled with diamine Sargasso sea. Another smooth wet writer and a bit of a stunner. Depending on how the light hits it, the paler blue "crackles" really stand out well, like fireworks.

Gorgeous.

Ian

Back to Hero 100.

It is........ so good.

My Hero 100 has worked it's way back into rotation.

TRUTH

Today I used my standard black hero 100 filled with r&k salix

As fpenluver said, the pen is so...good.

The combination with salix is really great.

We should start a Hero 100 praise thread.

Back to my black Kiagelu 368 today, still with diamine bilberry.

"Fudey, Fudey, Fudeee"

Just can't get enough of that fude nib.

Ian

I'm starting to grow into to the yellow Hero 616-2 that finally came last week. I'm not used to such a bright color in a pen. In the last week or so I've already lost the cap in my pocket once or twice, but I don't seem to have any new stains to speak of. Even after being uncapped in my pocket it still starts up and writes instantly. I wish all of my pens were this well-behaved.

Guanleming 2000 demonstrator with Noodler's Eel Blue. This unassuming little pen is a joy to write with.

Jinhao 3000

Good choice Helen. I bought it recently and found the nib sublimely smooooooth

Edited by WateryFlow

Good choice Helen. I bought it recently and found the nib sublimely smooooooth

I have a Goulet 1.1 stub on mine. (I do like writing with stub/italic nibs. My handwriting is larger). I did place the original Jinhao 3000 nib on another pen I have, and was very satisfied with its' smoothness.

I have a Goulet 1.1 stub on mine. (I do like writing with stub/italic nibs. My handwriting is larger). I did place the original Jinhao 3000 nib on another pen I have, and was very satisfied with its' smoothness.

I love an italic too but Goulet nibs would cost me an arm and a leg, and that's just for the shipping and the customs an stuff that goes with it.

I'm still looking out for a decent stub italic. I had originally bought my Lamy as a way to get a range of different interchangeable nibs, including italics, but that idea went up with a poof of smoke when I found out their nibs are [bleep].

I may try an italic for my Kaweco sport

Edited by WateryFlow

Today was a newish jinxing 26 with a 60s 12k jinxing nib and r&k super 8 black, liking the combo quite a lot.