What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Working with the newly arrived Jinhao 599 metal version. Did some smoothing with 8000 & 12000 micromesh, and now writes almost as smooth as butter. Though this is a medium nib, it writes more like a fine-medium. Inked with Chesterfield Teal (which I find myself partial to). Color of the pen - Champagne. Having to use my computer camera, so please accept my apology for the lack of clarity.

Snapshot_20141030_2.JPG

Snapshot_20141030.JPG

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always thought Hero's were scratchy unreliable pens.
I was terribly wrong.

Today I correctly adjusted the tines of a couple of Heros, inked them up and wrote.
Amazing. I don't think I'll be buying any more expensive pens. I have found my perfect writing instruments, and I never thought I'd be saying that about Heros. And at 35 rupees for one, wonderful value for money.

Now if only c/c Heros were available >.<

I always thought Hero's were scratchy unreliable pens.

I was terribly wrong.

Today I correctly adjusted the tines of a couple of Heros, inked them up and wrote.

Amazing. I don't think I'll be buying any more expensive pens. I have found my perfect writing instruments, and I never thought I'd be saying that about Heros. And at 35 rupees for one, wonderful value for money.

Now if only c/c Heros were available >.<

They are, but maybe not locally for you?

The ones I have are the 1026 and (I think!) 529. Both are metal-bodied amd write closer to a Western Medium than the 616/330 models.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

They are, but maybe not locally for you?

The ones I have are the 1026 and (I think!) 529. Both are metal-bodied amd write closer to a Western Medium than the 616/330 models.

Interesting.

I have only come across the 300 series and I quite recently found a 221, but haven't seen a shop sell another since.

Fuliwen--purchased approximately 6 yrs ago. Does not have a model # on the pen. Name on nib. There is an acrylic piece near the section, and that same acrylic is in the top of the cap. The clip has a red stone at the bottom. Pen does not cap. It is approximately the same length as the Esterbrook transitional J-Series, however, it is bulkier. I do like the size of the pen. Because it is Chinese, it is heavier, yet not overwhelmingly so. It is an interesting looking pen. I have not experienced any flaking or scratches. I do keep my pens in a two pen case when I carry them in my purse. Did some smoothing of the nib, and it writes well. Nice ink flow. Periodically add it to the rotation of my Chinese pens. Used it a bit today, though I primarily used the Noodler's Konrad Ebonite.

Snapshot_20141102_14.JPG

JinHao x750 (the dark Bordeaux one) with a replacement OBB nib. Filled with Diamine Oxblood.

Actually considering buying a 5-pack of them ... $20 shipped. Costs less than having a pint or two and a burger with my mates.

-k

JinHao x750 (the dark Bordeaux one) with a replacement OBB nib. Filled with Diamine Oxblood.

Actually considering buying a 5-pack of them ... $20 shipped. Costs less than having a pint or two and a burger with my mates.

-k

I wonder how the stainless steel x750 would look with a black Monteverde nib? That is a good price for the 5-pack.

I was using these two pens today, in honour of Fountain Pen Day...

post-106585-0-56527700-1415411617.jpg

Hero 103

post-106585-0-58995300-1415411777.jpg

Jinhao 5000

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Considering that it's an inexpensive pen (under $30), I am impressed. The nib is very smooth, it writes beautifully. I have it filled with the original formulation of Black Swan in Australian Roses; it's been sitting unused for a while and feels like it needs a cleaning (a bit of dried ink at the tip of the nib)right now but, with a bit of a wipe down, it started right up. It's a M nib and is a better writer than some of my more expensive pens (that said, none of my pens cost me more than $75). As for the filigree, it's smooth and I like looking at it. The pen is a fairly hefty pen for it's size but feels good in the hand.

All in all, for the price, I think it's an all around good pen. I don't expect it to last a lifetime but if it gives me pleasure for a few years, I will be happy. My 10 year old granddaughter loves that pen; she's the one who decided it should have the BSIAR. She also decided that the Hero 103 needed to have grey ink.

Edited by MissChief

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Considering that it's an inexpensive pen (under $30), I am impressed. The nib is very smooth, it writes beautifully. I have it filled with the original formulation of Black Swan in Australian Roses; it's been sitting unused for a while and feels like it needs a cleaning (a bit of dried ink at the tip of the nib)right now but, with a bit of a wipe down, it started right up. It's a M nib and is a better writer than some of my more expensive pens (that said, none of my pens cost me more than $75). As for the filigree, it's smooth and I like looking at it. The pen is a fairly hefty pen for it's size but feels good in the hand.

All in all, for the price, I think it's an all around good pen. I don't expect it to last a lifetime but if it gives me pleasure for a few years, I will be happy. My 10 year old granddaughter loves that pen; she's the one who decided it should have the BSIAR. She also decided that the Hero 103 needed to have grey ink.

Thanks for the feedback. You've given me food for thought. I have one "bling" pen - Crocodile gold mesh (snapshot) Now I'm asking myself do I need another one? That filigree makes it very interesting. :rolleyes:

Snapshot_20141108_2.JPG

Very pretty!!

- unknown -

Those are beautiful pens! Today I'm using a Hero 007 with PR Ebony/Green, and a Hero 366 with Sanford Royal Blue.

They're both very nice and didn't cost a lot B)

I received my first ever fountain pen in the post today.

A Baoer 3035 with a medium nib.

I was advised not to expect too much of this pen as it's a "cheapie", however, I was really surprised when it arrived.

It looks, and feels good, and when I filled it up with Diamine onyx, away it went.

Brilliant. :D

It writes with a fairly fine line (to me) and writes very smoothly.

I've picked it up and used it about six times already this morning, and each time it just flows away nicely.

I am absolutely delighted with it, and will be looking for reasons to write all day. :D

Just waiting on my Jinhao x450 broad nib now, I can't wait........ :D :D :D

Ian

MissChief,

What is the H103 like? It's one I've had on my watch list for quite some while and, due to getting other pens, I've not yet got around to buying one. Is it the usual Hero fine nib? If so... that would be a shame - I'm heading towards broad italic as my preferred nib and fine is the wrong direction.

The Jinhao 5000 is a superb pen. I must get another so I can have a pristine and a user version.

Today's pen is an Amber/Grey Kaigelu 316 with a home ground medium italic nib and Diamine Ancient Copper ink. The ink complements the pen beautifully.

Regards,

Richard

MissChief,

What is the H103 like? It's one I've had on my watch list for quite some while and, due to getting other pens, I've not yet got around to buying one. Is it the usual Hero fine nib? If so... that would be a shame - I'm heading towards broad italic as my preferred nib and fine is the wrong direction.

The Jinhao 5000 is a superb pen. I must get another so I can have a pristine and a user version.

Today's pen is an Amber/Grey Kaigelu 316 with a home ground medium italic nib and Diamine Ancient Copper ink. The ink complements the pen beautifully.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard, if you have a Jinhao 3000 handy do you think there is much of a different in the quality and writing experience of the Jinhao 3000 and 5000? They're both equally attractive so it's a difficult decision to choose between them

Edited by WateryFlow

The J3000 is also on my watch list...

Sorry, don't have one.

The J5000 is heavy, but well balanced. I'm told the J3000 isn't too different in size from the J159, which is surprisingly well balanced too, but is generally too big a pen for me to enjoy much. Hope that helps a little, even though I've had no experience of the J3000.

Regards,

Richard.