What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

I used my Jinhao 699 (gold) with Diamine Ancient Copper at work today. I love the combination and I love the pen.

14522306337_e9c55dbe34.jpg

I alos love these Safari want a be's by Jinhao. I have a blue and a gray transpaent 599 and use them more than a pelican 140 I have. These jinhao 599s are a real bagain and a good writer.

ancy

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonder if the 599 takes Lamy carts? So far, I just used the converter.

Today I will be using that Hero 616 I turned into a fude.

Sorry, not familiar with the term "FUDE", would someone bring me up to speed on what FUDE means. Please.

Andy

Im using the Jinhao Century Blue Marble Celluloid

I know it looks purple but that's just my cam phone. It really is blue

http://i.imgur.com/jieNBQ0.jpg

looks like a great pen. I am a blue pen person and this looks like something I am going to have to find. Thanks for the pic. it makes me want to have it.

Andy

Andy, mine's a 699 (thinner than a Lamy, classier, different clip, more of a hooded nib, and a lovely fine nib it is), not a 599, and I have to say I love this pen. I'm tempted to buy a 5 pack of them in multiple colours. I can get a 5 pack on Amazon for $32... not a bad deal for what I've discovered is a good looking, comfortable pen and a great writer. Plus, I like the colours....although, I might have to consider buying more inks if I buy more pens.

Edited by MissChief

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Sorry, not familiar with the term "FUDE", would someone bring me up to speed on what FUDE means. Please.

Andy

I think the word itself means 'brush.' These pens have a turned-up nib and are supposed to be good for writing Japanese and Chinese characters, or for sketching. I have a little collection of them and some make great everyday writers....others are too much like a quadruple-B nib.

I think Youtube has a few demonstration videos.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

looks like a great pen. I am a blue pen person and this looks like something I am going to have to find. Thanks for the pic. it makes me want to have it.

Andy

You're right. It's a beautiful pen. I'm not sure why that pic turned out purple but this is abetter representation of the colour....

http://imgur.com/lAugIwr.jpg

Andy

I think the word itself means 'brush.' These pens have a turned-up nib and are supposed to be good for writing Japanese and Chinese characters, or for sketching. I have a little collection of them and some make great everyday writers....others are too much like a quadruple-B nib.

I think Youtube has a few demonstration videos.

Pronounced "foo-deh." It's the Japanese word for "writing brush," held vertically to do ideographic calligraphy. Here is a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HqgUsEWlVc

I took four semesters of Japanese when we were living in Japan in the '70s, but I never even tried calligraphy, because I totally suck at anything resembling art. While we were there, they did come out with a disposable fude-pen (with a flexible brush-like point); I bought one, but I never did anything with it.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Dave to the rescue!

I don't know much, but I will share what I do know at the drop of a hat, and often I will also provide the hat :-P

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

You're right. It's a beautiful pen. I'm not sure why that pic turned out purple but this is abetter representation of the colour....

http://imgur.com/lAugIwr.jpg

This is the pen I refer to as the 'Jinhao Century Mk 1'.

Good pen, & I love the colour. It's just not quite as nice as the Mk2, even though the MK2 blue version colour is more washed out. As far as I can see, both are discontinued & all that remains is recent NOS.

Regards,

Richard.

This is the pen I refer to as the 'Jinhao Century Mk 1'.

Good pen, & I love the colour. It's just not quite as nice as the Mk2, even though the MK2 blue version colour is more washed out. As far as I can see, both are discontinued & all that remains is recent NOS.

Regards,

Richard.

Cheers for that Richard. Yeah I've had a look and can only see a Boaer copy(?). I've always loved the colour (I tried to capture the beauty of the sheen but I can't do it justice) What's the difference between a MK1 and MK2?

Edited by WateryFlow

Cheers for that Richard. Yeah I've had a look and can only see a Boaer copy(?). I've always loved the colour (I tried to capture the beauty of the sheen but I can't do it justice) What's the difference between a MK1 and MK2?

I'd not seen that Baoer pen before... Looks nice & seems to be the same resin as the Mk1. Gorgeous. Think I'll get one next month.

The differences between the Mk1 & 2 are:

Some are still available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jinhao-Century-Acrylic-Fountain-Pen-/331212270629 , but note the photos of the black one shows Mk1 & Mk2 in different photos.

Hope that helps.

Richard.

Just inked a JinHao X450. It's a brown marble design and has a medium nib. Quite a heavy pen with really nice balance. So far I like it a lot.

I'd not seen that Baoer pen before... Looks nice & seems to be the same resin as the Mk1. Gorgeous. Think I'll get one next month.

The differences between the Mk1 & 2 are:

Some are still available here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jinhao-Century-Acrylic-Fountain-Pen-/331212270629 , but note the photos of the black one shows Mk1 & Mk2 in different photos.

Hope that helps.

Richard.

Ok cool! That's much more detail than I was expecting actually. After seeing the mk 2 I'm definitely glad I've got the mk 1 - looks much nicer and more stylish

Barrel thread is a metal insert on the Mk1, cut into the barrel resin in the Mk2.

I woulds guess that makes the mk1 more durable

Edited by WateryFlow

Try suggesting that a metal thread insert in the barrel is more durable to Parker, Conway Stewart and Onoto about their luxury pens. I don't think they'll entirely believe you (they may in their heart of hearts, but won't admit it).

There are pens from the 1920's with thread cut screw caps that are perfectly usable today. OK, there are millions of others that have worn out in the intervening years, but how long do you expect the Jinhao to last? I think a reasonable life is 25 years - the plating certainly won't last that long, but the rest of the pen should - and in that time I seriously doubt if the resin threads will wear too much unless you live in a seriously dusty environment and allow the threads to get dirty & thereby very worn.

From a manufacturing point of view using a craft type process, it's more efficient to cut the threads directly onto the barrel, but in a manufacturing region where metalwork can be subcontracted out, it's more efficient to make the barrel with a glue-in insert. So, swings & roundabouts. I prefer the threads cut into the barrel, but it is a personal thing.

Regards,

Richard.

I liked my Kaigelu 356 enough that I decided to give another Chinese fountain pen a try. I went for a metal Jinhao 599 and it arrived earlier today.

The nib is very nice. It's wetter and smoother than the one on my Kaigelu, but the line width appears to be the same, even on cheap paper.

The overall construction seems nice and robust, though I don't care for the triangular section. It's not bad, but so far I definitely prefer a round section.

I like the Jinhao converter more than the Kaigelu one. It seems more solid and looks like it might hold more ink.

I'm very happy with it, especially for the price, so I'll probably order an X-750 in the future.

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."