• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wing Sung 322. A real gusher when inked with Waterman Blue Black. Behaves better with Noodler's Black.

I always keep a couple Hero 616 pens with me. One has P.R. Tanzanite, and the other Diamine Poppy Red. I'm waiting on a Hero 9296 extra fine point.

I'm using a blue coloured K356 with Noodler's BSB (only put it in new pens so it doesn't do anything horrible with any ink residue left.

Lovely coloured pen & an eye popping ink. Good combination.

Richard.

Went on a shopping spree recently (will have a writeup about the entire haul) and the pens started to arrive from China this week. So far, like others said, I like the JinHao 699 quite a bit -- used it all day yesterday. Lightweight yet well-made with a contemporary look. Mine is a medium, therefore doesn't have the hooded nib. Tines were a little misaligned, but other than that I didn't have to tweak the nib.

Lays down a nice Western Medium line with Noodler's Liberty Elysium.

I always keep a couple Hero 616 pens with me. One has P.R. Tanzanite, and the other Diamine Poppy Red. I'm waiting on a Hero 9296 extra fine point.

I'm using the same 616 & P.R. Tanzanite combination today!

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qiac1d.jpg

I don't really like blues, generally, but I like this one since it's got a lot of purple in it! (it seems to be purple when wet but blue when dry)

I used my Jinhao 699 (gold) with Diamine Ancient Copper at work today. I love the combination and I love the pen.

14522306337_e9c55dbe34.jpg

Edited by MissChief

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

I finally settled on a Hero 100 flighter for work -- it stands up to a little abuse in my briefcase, and stands up to a few minute of time uncapped writing while my brain settles on the next line of an equation or information I need to write down.

I use it every day now -- loaded with Waterman Blue.

Today I'm using a blue marbled Jinhao X450 with J Herbin 1670 Anniversary Ocean Bleu, a copper clad Hero 395 with Diamine Ancient Copper, and an older model Hero 329 (with "Star Trek" swoop) loaded with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage. While I prefer medium nibs, the Hero 395 has a fine medium nib and the Hero 329 is a very fine hooded nib; both perform very well with the selected inks.

I'm using the same 616 & P.R. Tanzanite combination today!http://i60.tinypic.com/2qiac1d.jpg

I don't really like blues, generally, but I like this one since it's got a lot of purple in it! (it seems to be purple when wet but blue when dry)

I think I see sheen on the feed!

Today: Using a burgundy Hero 616 with well-watered Levenger Shiraz to edit a story.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I've been playing around with a Kaigelu 356 and some cheap Manuscript ink cartridges for the past few days.

I really like it, though the flow seems a bit dry. I'm not sure if that's the pen, the ink or the fact that I was too impatient to flush it out before popping in a cartridge. :rolleyes:

Anyway, now I've got a craving to try a Jinhao X-750. I hope this doesn't turn into some type of addiction...

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Anyway, now I've got a craving to try a Jinhao X-750. I hope this doesn't turn into some type of addiction...

You should go for it. There's some really nice looking and super cheap x750s to get on ebay. Good smooth writers too

Welcome to the addiction! ;)

. I hope this doesn't turn into some type of addiction...

Heh. Already too late. On the upside : it's an inexpensive addiction.

I currently have the following Chinese Pens. 2 -Jinhao X450s 1- Jinhao 750, which seems to have a smaller nib than the x450s, much crisper w a finer line.

I have a transparent Blue and Smoke Jinhao 599 or their verision of the Lamy Safari. To my surprise it is a good writer and I use them both everyday. The nibs are Medium and seem to be pretty close to American medium.These have become my EDC.

I have a Baoer, "Over the top" in dark blue enamel and a medium nib. It to is an OK writer. So far I have been using it for my Crimson ink to make notations in margins.

I have a Baoer 801 which I wouldn't recommend to anyone! And it is a Leopard Animal Print enamel. I must admit, it is just awful. What did I expect for $1.25!

For the most part, I really enjoy the X450s and the Jinhao 599s. AS a matter of fact I just purchased five Jinhao 599s at a cost of $11.89. I am looking forward to having them at my disposal.

I think that's it for Chinese pens! I find them;Adequate and fairly easy to work on and get them the way you want.

Andy

Ten dollar word, I really enjoy my X750. It is, as you say, a good writer. I find the nib a bit crisper than that of the x450s. I've had mine for about six months and I still have the times when it writes a little dry. But all, the pen feel great in my hand and it is not a bad looking pen. I have the gray and brown mottled enamel with a black cap and GP hardware.

Andy

Returning to fountain pens after a long 15 year hiatus. This is also my very first post here, although I have been lurking for months. I had a Cross Classic which through various moves was lost in a box in the attic somewhere, so I needed a new pen. Finances are tight and cheap was the key word while looking for a pen so Chinese or ROC pens seem to be my best choices. I just didn't really expect them to be as good as my old Cross and in some cases even better. In just two short months I started with a Jinhao 9009 M nib, a good writer, starts every time. Bought a few ink samples from Goulet (no affiliation), but settled on PR Tanzanite. It was my everyday pen, banishing ball points and gel pens to the back of the drawer. Then a Baoer Eight Horses M nib. This pen turned into a backup since it is a bit of a slow starter and a bit drier writer than the Jinhao, it could also be the Diamine Sunset its filled with. Since then I have purchased too TWSBI's, a 540 and a 540 ROC with M and F nibs respectively. The 540 is my regular daily use pen, while technically not China Chinese, it it still ROC Chinese. I like the 540 ROC better but until I finish the Caran d'Ache Amazon it's inked with I will only use it to play with.

What I didn't know is how addicting Chinese made pens could become. As inexpensive as they are it is fun to 'take a gamble' on which one will turn out to be a gem in disguise. So far I purchased one for my wife and daughter. My wife got a Jinhao Morbidezza, which will likely get replaced by something a bit daintier. My daughter has an even less expensive Hero Accountant Pen, and wants another more ornate pen.

I am now waiting on several more Chinese pens, since many places are closed during the Chinese holidays the wait has made me even more anxious. Three more pens should be here in a couple of weeks: Dolce Vita Naranja, Yiren 823 in Orange Marble and a Baoer 817 Exquisite Orange. Besides these I have several other Chinese pens in my eBay watch list. I will try to make my next post in the Introductions forum.

I agree with you regarding the "inexpensive lure" and the ability to take a gamble to find a "good writer". I have been very fortunate with the Jinhao X450 , Jinhao X750, Jinhao 500 and the Jinhao 500,safari want a be with the unhooded nib in medium. I will definitely be taking a serious look at the pens you've mentions in your post. I've made a list and i'm going to check them out; twice. Thanks for the tips on the pens you like.

Andy

My Jinghao X450, which has become a near-daily writer. Robust, cheap, and wet… just how I like my coffee.

I agree whole heartedly! The X450s are very wet. I am going to swap out the Chinese nib for a Goulet nib or maybe even try. . . ready . . . .wait . ... Fountain pen revolutions #6 flex nib. @ $11. a nib it should provide a great ride. I hope it works!? Oh, one more thing I like my coffee Dark, Black,bold and from Costa Rica. Not Cheap but Outstanding coffee to wake up to!!!!! My wife and I absolutely into our coffee. Freshly roasted beans from a local coffee dealer. I 've bee getting coffee from him for almost 20 years now. AHHHHHH, PENS AND COFFEE! WHAT A LIFE.

Andy