What Chinese Pens Are You Using Today?

richardandtracy

Beautiful. I had my eye on a Hero 849 with the Falcon-style nib a while ago, but I didn't have the money so I didn't bite. Garrowp, make sure to get lots of pics of the pen along with the writing sample! I'm kind of curious to see how it's put together.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Helen350

• Ian the Jock

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the middle bronze looking one

Wow, they are very pretty.

I think this was lost in the quoting.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Back to my K356 today after a few weeks lent to a friend. She didn't use it after the first day, but it still started up fine after those two weeks.

(If I could only get my Parker 45 to start that well after a day...)

The cap spins and the clip rattles, but aside from those quibbles I'm very happy with my Kaigelu.

Today I am using the Jinhao Dragon and Phoenix antique silver fountain pen. (Here's the link for reference: http://www.amazon.com/Fountain-Dragon-Phoenix-Antique-Silver/dp/B00E3KB232/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1398708138&sr=8-2&keywords=jinhao+dragon+and+phoenix+fountain+pen.) It's a lot heavier than the Jinhao 601 and I think it writes a lot smoother so far too. It's a little big for my hand, but will test it out for a bit to see if I get used to it.

Two pages in my new novel with the Jinhao X450 that came in the mail back on Saturday. Feels good in the hand, no writer's fatigue at all (but I think that's more a function of my grip). No complaints, except that the medium nib writes too boldly for my taste. Eventually I'm going to swap it out for a F or EF from Mr. Goulet.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

sketching and doodling away with a Hero 616 filled with Private Reserve Invincible Black

Update: moved the ink over to the TWSBI 540 with an EF nib, the Hero 616 is alright for writing but not quite too good for sketching. The ink is actually making the TWSBI write much wetter than it normally does, I think I might like this.

Edited by WC Lee

I used my Jinhao x450 with Goulet 1.1mm nib. It's a flat black with gold trim model. Boy its a wet writer with the OEM nib or the goulet. Its filled with Diamine Red Dragon.

Edited by svengetman

Baoer 516 with Diamine bilberry. Love this pen. I tried to lend it to someone to write with last night & they wouldn't take it out of my hand because, they said, 'it's your posh pen'

I've got a Jinhao X450 that I can't put down. I just love this pen, it's buttery smooth and just the right size for my big paws ;)

The Baoer 516 ran out so it's time to move on, with a backwards glance and a sigh. Love that pen so much & am upset I've scratched the cap by dropping it on concrete. While I'm waiting for my recent binge purchases to arrive (Duke 205 with the little opera masks, Wing Sung Lucky 2007, Guanleming 956, Kaigelu 316, Hero 338) I have got the Pirre Paul recently identified by Pickwick as a 202A and a Kaigelu 359 inked.

I think I would feel more kindly disposed to the K359 if I'd bought it in black. Red + gold glitter + silver trim on one pen is a bit much. It writes all right, but not amazingly. Not incredibly smooth, a bit like pens you were given at school before you had a chance to find what suited you.

Meanwhile the Pirre Paul is really growing on me. It's not as scratchy as when first I started using it, which suggests (maybe?) that I should have flushed it before I started using it. Not bad.

Today is my Kaigelu 316 Amber/Gray on test run. I was having problems with it 'burping' ink (think thats the correct term). I swapped out the converter and scribbled a few pages on scratch paper and that seemed to fix the problem. We'll see. The other two are my Jinhao X750 stainless steel with Rohrer and Klingner's Verdigris and a Baoer 388 red with Noodler's Red Black ink.

I had been planning on using my new Corona (non-Chinese P51 clone) exclusively today, but after reading today's Pearls Before Swine comic, I think I'm leaning toward the Jinhao X450.

Edited by rezwrrd

My Hero 892 "Raden" came in the mail today. Pretty well made pen for 20 bucks on ebay shipped. I can't really complain lol. Writes well right out of the box too!

My Kaigelu 316 arrived today - finally I have a pen that matches my cat:

post-6186-0-39172200-1399905567_thumb.jpg

Writes beautifully with Diamine Chocolate Brown - it is as heavy as you've all said, but I'll have to see once I've written a couple of pages with it how much that bothers me.

Edited by azofsea

the cat is looking at it saying "is that for me?", don't be surprised if it disappears one day when you aren't looking :D