Conway Stewart 286 Needs Help

repairperson

repairperson: "If this is a 475 black and a 286 barrel then I am looking for two pen parts. Not easily found here is Canada I think."

If you really want to go ahead, and find you are struggling, I have a 286 black cap here. The problem I envisage is that your barrel is discoloured, and even a 286 cap would look like a mis-match. PM me if you want this sent (no cost, no tracking, just a gift).

Red52Ripple: "But who knows? It was a long time ago and Conway Stewart did even stranger things ???, such as fitting Summit-style clips, to keep sales going during the war."

Is this not a bit like taking a Ford Focus and sticking a Rolls Royce badge on the bonnet :roflmho: - the new owner would know they are not getting the real Summit experience - or on a more serious note I think Summit (Lang) actually produced some of the war time Conway Stewarts in their entirety, see the CS240 on my website as an example.

Northlodge:

Yes, I would like to try your cap. Very generous offer of yours, to suggest it.

Edited by repairperson

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• repairperson

• red52ripple

• MikeW

• northlodge

My 286. This is what the pen looks like to me. If the barrel was made of rubber and the cap was made of Plastic. That is what I would get. I don't suppose that that could actually happen. 286 was not made in hard rubber. I have shined up the barrel for the pictures. As for the 479 I thought some of the light bits were green but the rest of the household is sure they are light grey. Did CS's plastics change colour?

Thanks again Red52ripple for that information. Finding one may be quite a feat here. You wouldn't have a picture of what I may be looking for.

Edited by repairperson

Thanks again Red52ripple for that information. Finding one may be quite a feat here. You wouldn't have a picture of what I may be looking for.

Not in that colour but here's one in black:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb301/scaraben/479.jpg

You may not find one in Canada but take the plunge into eBay UK. You'll find one there quite quickly, I should think. You only need the clip, so far as I can see. Over the weekend I'll fight my way into my spares mountain and if I can find one, you can have it.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

www.goodwriterspensales.com/

I'm sorry, I had no luck in finding a clip. I had just about every other pre-war clip but not that one...

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

I'm sorry, I had no luck in finding a clip. I had just about every other pre-war clip but not that one...

Thanks for trying.

Thanks for trying.

One more question. After searching I have found my another Conway Stewart. This one is complete. I am surprised myself. The question is it has a dasi 14 car warranted nib.This nib as you can see in the picture is extremely small. My question is: Is this original or do I have to look for a nib. I could take a nib from the 475 pink and black 475 which doesn't have a cap and put it into the 388 blue and black marble. What do you think?

post-5832-0-04043500-1328029839.jpg

It's not original. The 388 takes a 5N nib which is quite long but slender. This is because the aperture in the section of the 388 is quite small. It's most likely that nib in the 475 is a CS3 which is quite a bit wider. It may not be possible to squeeze that nib into the 388 and even if you do the feed isn't designed to deal with that shape of nib and it may not deliver ink as it should. Though I haven't seen it, I'm assured that some 475s have CS2 nibs which are smaller. If that's the one you have it may fit better.

Other than the wish to retain originality in old pens, there's no reason not to try, though, but be careful: gold nibs are delicate things.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

Thank you once again. Where on the nib is the desingnation? As far as the Dasi nib I think I will leave well enough alone. It fits and its the only CS that is complete. Now if I can find the other bits for the other 3 pens I would be a happy camper.

On of my favourite bits in Scotland was Rest and Be Thankful high up in the mountains. Spectacular view.

Edited by repairperson

The designation is right down at the bottom of the nib, invariably hidden by the section.

Rest and Be Thankful is stunning on a summer's day. It gets a bit more threatening in winter. I live a bit further north than that.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

Thank you once again for that information. I won't be taking out any nibs unless I need to. I work on the if it works leave alone school of repair.

When we were in Scotland we went up to John o' Groats. We toured many places inbetween and loved the area. Thank you for your help with my Conway Stewart problems. I now need to try and find the parts to make these pens whole. Time will tell. Thanks

June

Edited by repairperson

Hi June,

You undoubtedly passed through the village where I live on your way to John O'Groats. You can't get there without passing through here, as it were.

Good luck with your projects. I'm sure there will always be someone here to help if you have more questions.

Regards,

~Deborah

goodwriterspens.com/

Hi June,

You undoubtedly passed through the village where I live on your way to John O'Groats. You can't get there without passing through here, as it were.

Good luck with your projects. I'm sure there will always be someone here to help if you have more questions.

Regards,

Much Appreciated Deborah