Oh, No! Diamine Ancient Copper Problem

ever onward

Stumbled upon this thread while googling Ancient Copper crusting issue/affecting the flow of pens. I guess they haven't changed whatever dye they were using when this thread was started back in 2012.

It's a lovely color that I've been using since last two weeks or so. However, today I noticed that my 149 was not flowing as freely as it was before and that too after just re-inking it. Then I observed crust building on the inside of the cap of Visconti Travelling Inwell and on the threads of the ink bottle too. A thorough cleaning with plain water would be needed first thing tomorrow morning!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuchsiaprincess

• ever onward

• mhosea

• Diderot

From this and other similar threads, this seems to be more of a problem with red, orange, and brown inks in general. Something to do with the dyes used, IIRC, which are just more likely to precipitate out if the pen doesn't cap tightly. It's ugly and a messy nuisance, but doesn't actually damage the nib or feed.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

From this and other similar threads, this seems to be more of a problem with red, orange, and brown inks in general. Something to do with the dyes used, IIRC, which are just more likely to precipitate out if the pen doesn't cap tightly. It's ugly and a messy nuisance, but doesn't actually damage the nib or feed.

Yes I figured it might be something to do withwith red/orange/brown inks as you rightly mentioned. This is my first non-blue/black ink so it was bound to offer me some surprises. But I'm really amazed by the beauty of colors outside the blue/black spectrum in a fountain pen. Now I understand why many people have truck loads of ink in their closet!

Now I understand why many people have truck loads of ink in their closet!

Yeah, guilty as charged. :blush:

And why, yes, I CAN tell the difference between old version Sailor Jentle Sky High and Sailor Jentle Souten.... And why I'm happy I have bottles of *both* original(-ish) of Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses and Iroshizuku Yama-budo.... :rolleyes:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."