Oh, No! Diamine Ancient Copper Problem

ever onward

I've used AC in my Vanishing Point and in my Felton, in both cases the ink sat in there for quite some time and I haven't seen crud/residue/etc.....

What a strange world we live in, where people communicate by text more than ever before, yet the art of proper handwriting is seen as a thing from the past.

http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fuchsiaprincess

• ever onward

• mhosea

• Diderot

• 4 months later...

Some brands in general and individual formulations specifically are higher maintenance than others, but I've found Diamine inks to be amongst the best behaved in my collection. I'm surprised to find that folks have had crystalization issues with this and several other Diamine inks.

I love the brand and AC in particular. I've had it in many pens and have yet to encounter this issue. I wonder if they may have altered its formulation in the last year or so. I may be runnning it through my pens so quickly that the issue doesn't arise. I'm also a notorious pen cleaner.

More frequent cleaning is in order with some inks (such as J.Herbin Rouge Hematite) and apparently DAC. I'll be mindful of the issue, but some inks are worth the extra attention required.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by GHigley

ewww, nasty pics. Particularly annoying as I have a bottle of AC and Pumpkin that have arrived today.

Hi,

If you would be so kind, please let us know if the ink in those bottles have the aforementioned problem.

I have fingers crossed that Diamine has reformulated the inks, and like to think that as [i assume by your flag] you're located in England, the ink you receive would be of very recent production.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

That was about 6.5 hours left uncapped in a warm room.

The same time again but capped and there's no gloop. I. Would guess that problems are stemming from pens having a poor seal on the cap.

The same time again but capped and there's no gloop. I. Would guess that problems are stemming from pens having a poor seal on the cap.

Hi,

Thanks for giving it a fair go. :thumbup:

Well, at least this aberration is harmless to the pen, even though it may offend one's sensibilities and raise the ire of the Ink Putti.

When I use DAC, its left in the pen just long enough to complete the document I'll working on.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I've noticed that, too. I've used DAC in a few pens. One would get goopy, the other wouldn't. I kept Ancient Copper in my Pilot Plumix, and re-filled the cartridge and not once did I see any goopiness but in another pen, every time I uncapped the pen, I would see it. Even my Lamy Safari with DAC in it gets a little goopy after a while.

Your life is the result of the choices you make. If you don’t like your life, it’s time to start making better choices.

- unknown -

Pilot and Platinum (and other pens) seal air tight when capped. Even the least expensive Pilots and Platinum pens.

Many pens do not seal air tight when capped. I had this same crusting occur in a Kaweco Sport using Sheaffer orange ink. My Lamy Al-Star cap does not seal that well, so it would also crust up when sitting unused. My Vanishing Points seal air tight and can sit for 3 or more weeks without the nib drying out.

This just happens on pens with caps that do not seal air tight with certain inks. Other inks just dry out and the nib is dry starting.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I got a bottle of Amcient Copper a month or so back. In the notoriously non air tight Parker IM, the crud is everywhere. In my Visxonti Rembrandt with its Magnetic Cap, it can quite happily sit for a a couple of weeks unused without crudding up

Incidentally, this is one of my complaints about many Chinese pens with push caps. I'm thinking mainly of Jinhao and Baoer pens. There are exceptions. Anyway, various push cap designs have been employed historically, but the prevailing design today has little raised "tabs" on the inside of an inner plastic cap that provide the snapping action against a flange of some sort on the grip section. This can work well enough, and the better-made pens of this type have a well-defined step-down inside the inner cap that the section presses against to form an air seal. The grip section is "captured" by the cap. But many of the Chinese pens rely instead on contact with the end of the barrel at the other end of the section to make the cap seem to fit snugly. As far as the air seal goes, this is the illusion of a good fit. The cap feels snug and secure, but air might flow pretty freely around the end of the section between the little raised tabs. You can tell if you have a pen like this if the grip section can be pushed further into the cap when you insert it without the barrel screwed on. The only up-side I know of is that you certainly don't pull ink out of the feed with negative air pressure when you uncap the pen (as sometimes happens with Sheaffer Preludes).

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

• 1 year later...