Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And these are blues!

fpn_1327105160__diamine_imperial_blue.jpg

fpn_1325438488__diamine_sapphire_blue.jpg

Well, I certainly treat them as such.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

I have always thought of violet as a bluish purple and was actually so bothered by the fact that Noodler's Violet is redder than Noodler's Purple that I didn't buy a bottle of the former, even though I loved the ink.

Yeah, this irritated me, too, when I bought Violet and actually got the ink that I thought should be called Purple. A friend loaned me the Purple, and that was more like what Violet should be.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one!

Violet is towards Red. Purple is towards Blue.

Hey, where's the "purple"?

Mike

Purple would be Blue-Violet (which is Red-Violet on the third image).

EDIT: I was confussed.

Does this help?

:roflmho:

Thats great!

Ok, now

PURPLE is RGB 128,0,128

VIOLTE is RGB 218,112,214

now.

A Fountain Pen is never just a Fountain Pen.

Thanks for this post. It reminded me that Waterman Purple has been discontinued, so I went to Jetpens and ordered their last three bottles.

WHAT THE WHAT? :yikes: Are you (bleep) kidding me?

Just the most standard violet I can think of ever!

This falls under "What the hell are they thinking?" right along with Pelikan discontinuing Blue-black.

freakin' end times, I'm tellin' ya.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Violet can refer to either the colour of the similarly named flowers (reddish purple) or the spectrographic colour (bluish purple).

In France purple is closer to red, mixed with a little of blue, and very little of yellow in it.

Violet is the mix of red and blue in equal parts.

It depends on the local culture.

(I thought I had to summarize my scary text).

That is more of technical language than common culture. And I am sure it depends on the country, if not on the manufacturer or line of work. Check the "purple" wikipedia page in different languages.. the french approximation, "pourpre", which also designates the shell and its pigment (cf. Roman Emperors's toga), is almost "Bordeaux" (the color of the wine from around the city of the same name).

Without fear for being cliché, I send you to this page http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vin_rouge about red wines.

Please scroll down or search "Évolution des couleurs du vin rouge" and you will see different colors of wines in a little frame, among which "violet" (En. Violet) and pourpre (En. purple).

Lapis proposed the opposite. But it is possible that in Germany, it actually is the opposite. http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purpur_%28Farbe%29

How these colors and color names are defined: I suppose it comes partly from tradition, but also from the availability and variability of the reference pigments (in this case pourpre pigment, and the violet flower), and then the subsequent industrial standardization. In some cases it is possible that the pigment was not available, and the color was reproduced by memory. Or the reference ingredient got altered (e.g. an aging painting). Or two countries were getting slightly different species of flowers. Or even, the industrials could not produce a satisfying color, so they marketed their best result under the name of the original, thereby setting a new reference.

Who knows.

But colors are never an easy matter as they depend on the observer, the lighting/pigment or dye (in the case of paint/ink), or the lightsource/filter (in the case of a screen), and also the environment because the human brain tries to equalize colors. If you don't believe me cover your eyes e.g. with something green for 5 minutes and you'll see red afterwards. It's also a good way to discover the meaning of "opposite colors" :)

The only thing reliable, is the measure of the light spectrum.

Everything is impermanent.

Oh dear. I thought violet was red-purple & purple was blue-purple. All I know is that I'll covet my bottle of Waterman Purple, labeled in French as "encre violette." Oy.

Okay, I know this has already been mentioned somewhere else (I think) but to go into slightly more detail -- namely as re the original question here, "Violet Vs Purple Inks" -- my boxes say on the top and on the front: "ENCRE VIOLETTE.... On the right side of the boxes ditto with "Violet" equivalents in three other non-English languages....

... and on the back of the box I see: "PURPLE INK".

So what does this mean? IMO at least it means that Waterman (in France, where the gem is made) thinks that they (both names) are one and the same thing. One at least for the French-, German-, Spanish- and Italian-, one for the English-speaking world.

Whew! :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Oh dear. I thought violet was red-purple & purple was blue-purple. All I know is that I'll covet my bottle of Waterman Purple, labeled in French as "encre violette." Oy.

Okay, I know this has already been mentioned somewhere else (I think) but to go into slightly more detail -- namely as re the original question here, "Violet Vs Purple Inks" -- my boxes say on the top and on the front: "ENCRE VIOLETTE.... On the right side of the boxes ditto with "Violet" equivalents in three other non-English languages....

... and on the back of the box I see: "PURPLE INK".

So what does this mean? IMO at least it means that Waterman (in France, where the gem is made) thinks that they (both names) are one and the same thing. One at least for the French-, German-, Spanish- and Italian-, one for the English-speaking world.

Whew! :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet: :happyberet:

I just asked an American friend who's a director of photography. He said that in American English, at least how he understands it, "violet_us" is more pinkish, and "purple_us" would be what we call in French "violet_fr".

So by "Encre violette", Waterman probably meant "Purple ink" :)

It's what we call a "fake friend", the two words look the same in the two language but don't mean the same.

As e.g. "pathetic" means "silly" in English, and "moving/related to emotions" in French.

Edited by JeanManuel

Everything is impermanent.

Thanks for this post. It reminded me that Waterman Purple has been discontinued, so I went to Jetpens and ordered their last three bottles.

WHAT THE WHAT? :yikes: Are you (bleep) kidding me?

Just the most standard violet I can think of ever!

This falls under "What the hell are they thinking?" right along with Pelikan discontinuing Blue-black.

freakin' end times, I'm tellin' ya.

Huh? Where did this news come from? Seems quite big news that waterman would remove one of their staples. I can only find a thread about it being discontinued in Australia a couple of years ago.

My understanding of violet and purple is more physics based. Violet is a visible monochrome colour with a higher frequency than blue, where purple is whatever is reflected by a mix of red and blue pigment (a dark magenta, I suppose).

Then again, I've never had any patience with colour experts.

I have a bottle of Mont Blanc Lavender Purple, which is the same colour as their discontinued Violet. To my mind, this is more of an error correction than a rebrand. (-:

GPG key / fingerprint: 082CF3ED

E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED

It's what we call a "fake friend", the two words look the same in the two language but don't mean the same.

As e.g. "pathetic" means "silly" in English, and "moving/related to emotions" in French.

How very true! I also think of Beethoven's Sonata Opus 13 or Tchaikovky's Symphony Number 6 !! These two are definitely not pathetic !!!

Mikhail

I have a bottle of Mont Blanc Lavender Purple, which is the same colour as their discontinued Violet. To my mind, this is more of an error correction than a rebrand. (-:

I'll buy that, too! Exactly the same thing applies to their Burgundy Red, formerly named Bordeaux.

Mike

Guess you can't judge an ink by it's name.

So many factors affect how an ink appears: the size of your nib, the colour of your paper, the ambient light in the room, your eyes (ask anyone who is colour-blind).

Bottom line: get a sample or read the great reviews here on FPN and see if you like it.

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.” - Jack Layton.

According to wicki, the colors I learned in my crayon box are wrong. :embarrassed_smile: :headsmack:

Could be I never learned the color magenta.

I was under the impression that violet was redder than Purple....I can remember having the big box of crayons, and red violet.

Confusion reigns.

Red + Blue = Purple

Red + Blue + Blue = Violet

With allowances for nib width and flex, and papers:

What inks would you call purple?

Which ones violet?

Red-violet?

The only violets I have is Pelikan and Lamy.

I have no purple inks and purple and violet were the next steps on my quest.

I have the same definition of purple vs. violet that you do. Violet has more blue in it than does purple. Pure purple inks to consider are Waterman's Purple, Noodler's Baystate Concord Grape, Levenger Amethyst. Violets would be Private Reserve Tanzanite, Nooder's Violet Vote, Violet and La Reine Mauve. Montblanc Violet is more of a purple ink than violet to me, but it isn't really a pure purple either. Reddish purples are my favorites at the moment; these include Montblanc Bordeaux, Diamine Syrah (or a 1:1 mix of Waterman's Purple and Sheaffer Scrip Red), Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. YMMV.

Edited by jgrasty