Lamy 27/30N

Marijan

Hi,

I've seen few of these on the net, with almost consistent reference to the 60`s dating. There are differences in the barrel ring wideness but both models, with wide and narrow rings, are dated as a 60`s pen. Is that somewhere in the reality ballpark?

I've read MYU`s topic about the 27, but this particular model is not there.

Otherwise the pen has 585 oblique medium nib. Size is somewhere in MB 34 range. In fact, pens are almost identical in dimensions.

It seems to be on the lower wish list end on the market, it goes for very reasonable sums. Perhaps nothing too exciting about it but it seems to be good quality, reliable pen. It is smooth writer, and the nib does allow some differentiation in the line wideness.

So 60`s?

Thanks.

Best regards!

Marijan Radaljac

fpn_1326971081__1.jpg

fpn_1326971112__2.jpg

fpn_1326971147__3.jpg

fpn_1326971177__4.jpg

fpn_1326971206__5.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marijan

• Bo Bo Olson

• freddy326

• Dib

while i can't comment on your query, this model looks much different than my lamy 27(31) with silver cap. first of all, the "OM" marking is on the section, while mine is on the barrel. my clip reads "lamy". also, our "jewels" are different. mine is domed, while yours looks flat. i really like the looks of this one, though. lucky find!

Edited by nerbiotxiste

while i can't comment on your query, this model looks much different than my lamy 27(31) with silver cap. first of all, the "OM" marking is on the section, while mine is on the barrel. my clip reads "lamy". also, our "jewels" are different. mine is domed, while yours looks flat. i really like the looks of this one, though. lucky find!

Thank you for jumping in. You seems to have an earlier version of 27 Lamy. Cool pens.

Best regards!

Marijan Radaljac

I lucked into a 27 from 1958 according to it's paper work...and from my B&M. Mine is a FK nail, with a metal cap with a small half round jewel.

Marijan that one you showed looks somewhat like the 2000, that came out in '66.

Is your OM nib a nail or has it some flex.

Thanks for showing me my piston pen's section unscrews. :rolleyes:

I think I'll lube that pen now just in case.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I lucked into a 27 from 1958 according to it's paper work...and from my B&M. Mine is a FK nail, with a metal cap with a small half round jewel.

Marijan that one you showed looks somewhat like the 2000, that came out in '66.

Is your OM nib a nail or has it some flex.

Thanks for showing me my piston pen's section unscrews. :rolleyes:

I think I'll lube that pen now just in case.

Thanks you for confirmation Bill. This nib has quite some flex in it. I thought that it will be nail, but it spread nicely under the modest pressure, not in the range of some Bock semi but it is far from nail.

Best regards!

Marijan Radaljac

Marijan,

Good, I hoped it would be, back then semi-flex was still in, and in oblique it works well. As I said I don't have enough Lamy pens from that era to know if they made semi-flex. I thought they might, because everyone else was.

Oblique in semi-flex is a lot of fun.

Just place the nib canted on the paper so it lays flat and regrip the pen and write regular.

Some folks try to do odd things with twisting their hands or arms.

If you have any difficulties, align the clip between the slit and the right edge of the nib. Grip the pen with out looking at the nib, using only the clip reference, place it on the paper and write normally.

Don't try to do anything fancy with your hand.

If you get a maxi-semi-flex Oblique, align the clip at the right edge of the clip.

Sometimes some folks have trouble because they have the paper at 45 degrees. One might need to have the paper at straight or 90 degrees.

That came out in one of the many huge threads on why folks were having problems with a flexible oblique.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Bill,

I am still unable to tell, and range all those nibs by flexibility, it least not accurately, but it is far from the inflexible one. Metz&Krell 120 has a nib of similar stiffness, for example. Bock on my Boehler is quite more flexible, MB34 is approaching to what I think it`s your definition of "nail".

Thank you for all useful (as usual) tips. I have a long way to go still, before I get some of my writing back. And every advice is most welcome.

Best regards!

Marijan Radaljac

Hi

there are too many false informations in relation to the Lamy 27 and 99!

The fist price list which includes the 2000 comes from October 1966. The retail prices are:

2000 : 42 DM

30 : 22 DM (model 27/30)

31 : 25 DM ( 27/31)

36 : 14,50 (model 99)

27 : 17,50 (99 with steel cap).

The 99 is the cheaper version of the 27

I search for all pens and informations made in Pforzheim, e.g. Sarastro, Fend

MYU's fine article, made me appreciate my (new) 27n lots more.

Thanks, crabe919.

I could have bought one as an Army Brat living in Germany in the mid'60's, but needing beer*, I'd gone for skillcraft ball points, and ten refills for a dime. A half a year or perhaps a year's worth of writing.

The second thing we Americans then in the Days of the Almighty Dolllar were real arrogant. There was only the Snorkel, nothing else counted.

*16 is and was legal for beer drinking in Germany for drinking beer and a pint of beer cost 20 cents in silver money. It was very hard to scrape up fifty cents a week.

Quite a read. Thank you all for information. Still confused about the numbering/lettering system :blink: , but learned a lot about the company background. Thanks.

Best regards!

Marijan Radaljac

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread! but I was wondering if you could help identify what looks like a Lamy 27, I haven't seen any pictures on the web that like it. My Father died recently and we found it in his effects. I do remember that he had it for about 30 - 40 years though!

It doesn't have an 'L' on to of the cap

Any help would be appreciated, we don't even know how to fill it!!

thanks

regards

Freddy326

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t393/alistergreenway/pen/20140316_112122.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t393/alistergreenway/pen/20140316_112101.jpg

Hi, this will sound odd but the knob doesn't seem to want to turn at all. Of course I may not be using enough force or turning it the right way! should it go clockwise or anti clockwise?

regards

Freddy326

Lay the pen under water, for a day or two/week in hopes some water seeps in. Jiggle-wiggle the piston from time to time.

That is to wet/loosen up the ink that might/is dried up inside.

Perhaps it is a friction feed nib and section, that if wet enough will wiggle out.

Check around on that first.

A picture of the nib and feed might help.

You should not use force to twist the knob. It can break the piston.

I think my Piston pens turn to the left to fill.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

Stop press!!!! Just had a message on Facebook from Lamy and they say that it's a limited special edition Lamy 27....'a real collectors item' from 1952! :) :)

Edited by freddy326

• 4 years later...