Montblanc Alfred Hitchcock

meghan

This looks quite similar to the old Mont Blanc Bordeaux. Not sure if you're au fait with that ink?

You're the second person who's said that, which leads me to believe the sample I've used of Bordeaux must not have been Bordeaux. What I used was far more purple than AH.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meghan

• SamCapote

• Jagdeep

• swanjun

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This looks quite similar to the old Mont Blanc Bordeaux. Not sure if you're au fait with that ink?

You're the second person who's said that, which leads me to believe the sample I've used of Bordeaux must not have been Bordeaux. What I used was far more purple than AH.

That was my assumption also when I asked in the MB forum...the "old" Bordeaux is not the same as the MB Burgundy. It (Bordeaux) truly is very similiar to this new Hitchcock color. That's why I was asking if MB maybe have just used the same formula and "renamed" the ink..

There was a thread here (or maybe in the MB forum) a few months back about MB "rebranding" the Gandhi Saffron ink and re-releasing it...so we wouldn't have to pay $75 a bottle (the going rate on Ebay!) :ninja: :ninja:

In any case, this is a cool color and thanks for the review!

Rick

MY-stair-shtook eyn-HOON-dairt noyn und FEART-seeg (Meisterstuck #149)

"the last pen I bought is the next to the last pen I will ever buy.."---jar

WTB: Sheaffer OS Balance with FLEX nibs

porkopolispennerslogorev1.jpg

Porkopolis Penners Blog

That was my assumption also when I asked in the MB forum...the "old" Bordeaux is not the same as the MB Burgundy. It (Bordeaux) truly is very similiar to this new Hitchcock color. That's why I was asking if MB maybe have just used the same formula and "renamed" the ink..

There was a thread here (or maybe in the MB forum) a few months back about MB "rebranding" the Gandhi Saffron ink and re-releasing it...so we wouldn't have to pay $75 a bottle (the going rate on Ebay!) :ninja: :ninja:

In any case, this is a cool color and thanks for the review!

Rick

Also, Rick, I'm pretty sure MB has a policy never to release the same color under a new name with the specialty/holiday inks. I do know that the Saffron ink is not the same as the Ink of Joy orange. None of the various reds (Love Letter, Je t'aime, Holiday 2007) are the same.

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

I'll get Mr. Dahl to bring you an example then we can see for sure :)

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.

Hmm, nice polite, gentlemanly, unmistakable red.

I would not mind having a bottle of this next to my reference red (Herbin 1670)

thanks for bringing this to our attention.. :notworthy1:

Would I be able to buy this ink on it's own? Or does it come as a set with the pen :embarrassed_smile:

cheers

Jag

Edited by Jagdeep

Holiness is not in religion. It is in compassion and right action in mind and heart

I'll get Mr. Dahl to bring you an example then we can see for sure :)

Excellent! I look forward to seeing it!

Would I be able to buy this ink on it's own? Or does it come as a set with the pen :embarrassed_smile:

Absolutely, Jag. I have heard of a couple of folks being turned away from some unsavory boutiques, but I bought 4 bottles at mine without having purchased the pen. (Although I have purchased a few others from said boutique... :lol:)

I'm sure you'll be able to find it at some of the online retailers, too. The challenge right now is just that it hasn't hit all of the boutiques yet. I believe there's a lag from when it is stocked in the boutiques and when it hits other retailers, too. In a couple of weeks, I imagine you'll have no trouble laying hands on a few bottles. :thumbup:

I picked up two bottles today (thanks to Meghan's great review!) in Seattle. They had 4... I was dropping off the pen in my signature for repair and I have bought some pens before... Don't know if that matters or not... Looked at the Hitchcock pen (they didn't have a FP on display so it was the BP I saw) and it is a very nice pen! They swabbed the ink for me and the color is a very rich red...actually pretty close to fresh oxygenated blood (sorry...25 years in an Operating Room) which seems quite fitting for Hitchcock...Comes in the same type of bottle as the ink of joy, love, friendship...marked made in Austria on the bottom. Looking forward to getting this in a pen for a real trial!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

If you can't find this ink now, there should be a second, larger supply wave coming late Jan/early Feb. Most boutiques are holding onto their initial 3-5 bottle supply to go with those buying the $3,800 pens.

I have a bottle of the old MB Bordeaux and based on it and my bottle of 1670 as a reference point for reading the scan, I'd say they really aren't alike. To me the MB Bordeaux is a thin watery burgandy color, whereas, this appears to be a "Revlon Red" type of color. Neither leaning orange or purple, but if you watered it down enough, it would appear to be pink.

I'd be interested to see Sam's coffee filter trick on it if he gets his hands on it, because I am curious as to how it would break down.

If I didn't already have 1670, MB Bordeaux and Fernambuk (yes I know it's not red, but it would affect this purchase decision) I'd totally be scouting this out.

If you can't find this ink now, there should be a second, larger supply wave coming late Jan/early Feb. Most boutiques are holding onto their initial 3-5 bottle supply to go with those buying the $3,800 pens.

Thanks for the info, Sam! I love it so much, I'll likely add a couple more bottles to my stash. I tend to go through the inks I like really quickly. I went through a 50ml bottle of Yama-budo in just under eight months; if I use the Hitchcock as frequently, I'm looking at about 5mo/bottle, says my arithmetic. Then subtract the number of samples I share, and OMG I NEED SEVENTY-FOUR BOTTLES. :roflmho:

What's this coffee filter trick I hear of?

You're looking for paper chromatography, basically. It's cool to see what the components of different inks are...especially the various browns.

Also, it was great to see this ink in person yesterday....gorgeous indeed. :puddle:

Non est ad astra mollis e terris via. - Seneca

As always Meghan, fabulous review! Should you do a bloody, Hitchcock inspired "doodle" of yours, be sure to add it!!! :thumbup:

"Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

The Poor Connoisseurs

As always Meghan, fabulous review! Should you do a bloody, Hitchcock inspired "doodle" of yours, be sure to add it!!! :thumbup:

A fantastic suggestion!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/212362-montblanc-alfred-hitchcock/

Thanks for the info, Sam! I love it so much, I'll likely add a couple more bottles to my stash. I tend to go through the inks I like really quickly. I went through a 50ml bottle of Yama-budo in just under eight months; if I use the Hitchcock as frequently, I'm looking at about 5mo/bottle, says my arithmetic. Then subtract the number of samples I share, and OMG I NEED SEVENTY-FOUR BOTTLES. :roflmho:

Might as well make it an even 75 bottles. :ltcapd:

Coffee filter....here are some of the paper chromatography reviews I did.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/193086-sailor-ultramarine-vs-shigure-vs-kobe-29-chromatography

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/192545-sailor-apricot-vs-kin-mokusei-chromatography

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/192435-sailor-epinard-comparison-chromatography

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/203515-texas-pecan-vs-41-vs-galileo-with-chromatography

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/193580-sailor-grenade-vs-oku-yama-vs-1670-vs-yama-budo-chromatography

Edited by SamCapote

Thank you for the timely review of this new ink. I'm really liking this shade. The added comparison against multiple inks is very helpful! Thanks again.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Thanks for the review! After reading this, I immediately got on the phone with the local bay area MB boutique and had them put my name down for 3 bottles me when their shipment arrives. They said they're expecting it this week. On paper, it does seem, at least by my eyes, very similar to the Noodler's Antietam. I love the Antietam and have been writing with that almost exclusively for the last few days but this looks to have a slightly darker shading quality to it. Very much excited to get a hold of this ink so I can load up the 1.1 italic nib(my new favorite Lamy). The guy on the phone tried to sell me the actual AH pen, stunning pen, but at $3600, that ain't happening for this college student.

If anyone finds this ink available online, do let us know?

You can count on it! I know a couple of folks who have their ears to the ground. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review! After reading this, I immediately got on the phone with the local bay area MB boutique and had them put my name down for 3 bottles me when their shipment arrives. They said they're expecting it this week. On paper, it does seem, at least by my eyes, very similar to the Noodler's Antietam. I love the Antietam and have been writing with that almost exclusively for the last few days but this looks to have a slightly darker shading quality to it. Very much excited to get a hold of this ink so I can load up the 1.1 italic nib(my new favorite Lamy). The guy on the phone tried to sell me the actual AH pen, stunning pen, but at $3600, that ain't happening for this college student.

Now I will have to check out Antietam!

If anyone is in the San Jose, CA area, the MB boutique at Valley Faire just called me to let me know my 3 bottles arrived. Apparently they had just got their shipment of the ink. Didn't ask how much of it they had but they didn't have any problem reserving 3 bottles for me so they must have an ok supply. Going to pick them up after coffee and writing practice.