Demonstrators Ie Transparent Ones

Pen Nut

+1 for Engineer who loves to see how things work.

but also, I just find this beautiful, and interesting. Allow me to illustrate:

14709455091_c586e77847_h.jpg

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• saskia_madding

• traderdude01

• Brian K

However, I don't understand why some manufacturers insist on placing a huge premium on demonstrators when the transparent plastic used should cost much less than the fancy resins/celluloids of the standard lines.

By "fancy resins/celluloids" I think you mean plastic. It's all the same stuff, just different colors and levels of transparency. Though it certainly would be even more egregious if the demonstrators were made of a lesser material than the other pens in the same lines rather than just essentially the same thing.

I bit on the clear pen idea and decided that I should join the small crowd. I turned a few replicas. From a practical construction stand point, they take twice as long to make as a colored pen. Removing the machining marks from the inside is a project! I had to build special tooling just for that effort. Then there were the ones I did using Pyrex Glass. The artist in my shop painted the outside then they were fired in the kiln. Interesting project!

I read the thread here. The moral of the story seems clearly to be "different strokes for different folks"

These are amazing!

Will journal for food!

Twsbi Mini 1.1 -- Lamy Safari, charcol grey, 1.1 -- Pilot Plumix M Calligraphy --

Lamy Vista 1.5 -- Jinhao x750 Ivory, Goulet #6 1.1