Sepia Toned Ink Comparison - 32 Inks

dcpritch

These tests are wonderful. Thank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dcpritch

• pen2paper

• JimB

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just want to say that this review of inks is what changed me from a one-pen/one-ink guy to a collector. Thanks a lot.

I just want to say that this review of inks is what changed me from a one-pen/one-ink guy to a collector. Thanks a lot.

Another "victim" of dcpritch's enabling. I totally empathise . . . :unsure:

jason, I'm glad to have been of help. Enabling, as pointed out by Tas, is one of the things I do best!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

David, we miss seeing your ugly pens.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 8 months later...

I enjoyed this review.

Manufacturers give names to their products to create associations which may or may not reflect common use of those colour terms. Art paint companies supply pigment codes for their paints, so it is possible to know what is in the paint. Ink manufacturers don't seem to provide pigment codes, so you really don't know what they are using. As a rule, their names of colours, when put into historical context should be somewhat suspect. What would be helpful is that ink manufactures provide more information on historical colours to document a degree of authenticity.

Sepia is often the colour of old photos and that may be the ink colour being visualised.

Historically, we may be thinking of Da Vinci; he would have used Bistre (made from the soot of beechwood), as sepia didn't exist at the time. There are colour codes which have some degree of historical reliability; I've just used Hex codes for simplicity with computer monitors for viewing.

This is the hex code for bistre as used by the old masters: #96711

http://www.colorhexa.com/967117.png

Bistre as used in France is: #856D4D

http://www.colorhexa.com/856d4d.png

Sepia in the photographic sense is: #704214

http://www.colorhexa.com/704214.png

Many on the list are clearly not sepia or bistre, but which ones look right?

...be like the ocean...

I need a bottle of Bistre... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Hey C - I haven't forgotten that I owe you a sample of Sailor Kobe Turner (Café Brown)! Send me an email with your address and I'll get it in the post asap!

M

Verba volant, scripta manent

Hey C - I haven't forgotten that I owe you a sample of Sailor Kobe Turner (Café Brown)! Send me an email with your address and I'll get it in the post asap!

M

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!.. I totally forgot!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Sending...

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to add my thanks to that of others for your wonderful review of sepia inks. A big job, well done, David!

You are aware, I think, that you used the wrong ink to demonstrate Stipula Calamo Sepia, however. I think this got corrected, but even the current one doesn't look much like the ink I got from a first, recent purchase of Stipula Sepia. I am uploading a little sample of it. I also included a sample of Sailor's Bung Box Mocha, because it is almost identical in color and, as near as I can tell so far, in performance to Stipula Sepia. It is fortunate that I like them both a lot. They may not be gray enough to be "real" Sepias, but I have a fondness for reddish brown inks, especially ones that shade as nicely as both of these do.

So, for your interest, here are the samples - written on the same sheet of Rhodia paper. The pens were different, but both have similar nibs - crisp cursive italics ground by Michael Masuyama from Broad nibs, on an OMAS Ogiva for the Stipula Sepia and on a Pelikan M800 for the BB Mocha:

David

Cobalt, in a field of almost three dozen inks, you've successfully identified another gap in the market. Discriminating ink consumers want bistre!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I enjoyed this review.

Manufacturers give names to their products to create associations which may or may not reflect common use of those colour terms. Art paint companies supply pigment codes for their paints, so it is possible to know what is in the paint. Ink manufacturers don't seem to provide pigment codes, so you really don't know what they are using. As a rule, their names of colours, when put into historical context should be somewhat suspect. What would be helpful is that ink manufactures provide more information on historical colours to document a degree of authenticity.

Sepia is often the colour of old photos and that may be the ink colour being visualised.

Historically, we may be thinking of Da Vinci; he would have used Bistre (made from the soot of beechwood), as sepia didn't exist at the time. There are colour codes which have some degree of historical reliability; I've just used Hex codes for simplicity with computer monitors for viewing.

Cobalt, thanks for your interesting additions to this thread. Very much appreciated!

— Samuel Johnson

I'd like to add my thanks to that of others for your wonderful review of sepia inks. A big job, well done, David!

You are aware, I think, that you used the wrong ink to demonstrate Stipula Calamo Sepia, however. I think this got corrected, but even the current one doesn't look much like the ink I got from a first, recent purchase of Stipula Sepia. I am uploading a little sample of it. I also included a sample of Sailor's Bung Box Mocha, because it is almost identical in color and, as near as I can tell so far, in performance to Stipula Sepia. It is fortunate that I like them both a lot. They may not be gray enough to be "real" Sepias, but I have a fondness for reddish brown inks, especially ones that shade as nicely as both of these do.

So, for your interest, here are the samples - written on the same sheet of Rhodia paper. The pens were different, but both have similar nibs - crisp cursive italics ground by Michael Masuyama from Broad nibs, on an OMAS Ogiva for the Stipula Sepia and on a Pelikan M800 for the BB Mocha:

attachicon.gifSepia-vs-mocha-ink001.jpg

David

Thanks David, I did finally get the Stipula ink sorted out but it seems to be one that doesn't translate very well in images.

— Samuel Johnson

• 6 months later...

I don't mean to bump an older thread, if that is unwanted. But I just wanted to say thank you dcpritch.

Being fairly new to this hobby and learning, this is an immense help, for finding new inks. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Glad my efforts were helpful! :thumbup:

— Samuel Johnson

I don't mean to bump an older thread, if that is unwanted. But I just wanted to say thank you dcpritch.

Being fairly new to this hobby and learning, this is an immense help, for finding new inks. Cheers!

This wonderful thread needs to be "bumped" & often. It has become my standard resource for the various shades of brown. I have this thread bookmarked on my computer so that I can find it quickly.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 3 months later...

Dcpritch, as someone who is recently diping their toe deeper in the water, this thread jaw-dropping!

Not only was this a HERCULEAN effort, the responses and contributions your thread solicited is the real proof of how your time was well spent.

Thank you so much!

Enjoy the day! (I wonder how many more years this thread will go on?) :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

“My tastes are simple: I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill

Dcpritch, as someone who is recently diping their toe deeper in the water, this thread jaw-dropping!

Not only was this a HERCULEAN effort, the responses and contributions your thread solicited is the real proof of how your time was well spent.

Thank you so much!

Enjoy the day! (I wonder how many more years this thread will go on?) :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

Thanks! It has been five years now since I began work on the Sepia Ink comparison and I'm glad it still has some use. So many new inks have come into the market since then that I can't imagine how one could keep up; at least many of the ones I used in the comparison are still available. Also, I've been off FPN for a few months and its nice to see that even in my absence a thread like this carries on.

— Samuel Johnson