• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• badicecream

• Hawk

• umenohana

• BillTheEditor

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are the pens (sorry, my camera can't do close-ups for squat).

xo

z

Hello Zack, it certainly looks like you can draw.

Here is what I do when working with fountain pens for sketches. Some pens you can turn the nib upside down and it will draw a finer line. Also to obtain lines of different thickness in a drawing, switch to a pen that has a finer nib, meaning carry two fountain pens, each with a different size nib.

Next tip: someone once said a inked line drawing should contain a high percentage of black, I think it was fairly high, like 80 to 90 percent. That said, to fill large areas of blacks, say a background or a face that is in the shadows, meaning with the light from behind, after the main image is inked, set the fountain pens aside after the main image is drawn completely, then use a black marker to fill in the large black areas, a Copic or Prismacolor black marker will do. (If at home use a paint brush an d ink from a bottle).

Add the two fountain pens, a drawing pad and a black marker to your drawing kit, these items are easily transported anywhere. (Sometimes I also carry a Kon-i-noor Rapidograph technical pen with a fine .00 nib, for the new style of rendering that is popular in todays comics).

Along with the above items I also carry a high quality Steadler .5mm lead mechanical pencil (Dependable). I first make a rough sketch of the image with the pencil, then follow it with the inking process with the pens, and that is followed with the large black markers last of all.

That said, most comic artist today still use metal nibs, like the G-nib, Hunts, Gilliots, etc. Charles Reid however gets along just fine with his Pelikan or Safari. Use whatever tools that you like and those that will accomplish what it is that you want to do.

Hawk :)

Attached is Ben Hibon's work from Coderunner. Do a search and you may watch a video clip of his wonderful work. Note the high percentage of black. Hawk

post-4-1165890857_thumb.gif

Edited by Hawk

Hello Hawk--

Cool. Checked out Code Hunters on Youtube.

Remarkably intense. Kind of a Moebius/Heavy Metal vibe, filtered through that crazy, new-school, anime/video game sensibility.

Yes, I hear you on spotting blacks. Thanks for the advice. I usually use brush and ink for that, or cross-hatch until there are holes in the paper:) I should get some kind of archival ink markers for out-and-about inking.

I don't really do much of the narrative sequential stuff though. Usually stand-alone pieces w/captions. Surreal/satirical kind of stuff that isn't so cinematic/realistic. Very fond of George Grosz, and a lot of other turn of the century (the last one) German illustrators. Much more cartoony/expressionistic stuff.

I admire and enjoy this kind of work as well though.

Frank Miller's blacks in Sin City are really great, for that kind of thing. Jose Munoz is outstanding as well (one of my favorite comic artists ever).

Lemme see if I can get a good pic to one of his darker works attached here.

xoxoxoxoxo

Zack

post-4-1165894703_thumb.gif

Edited by badicecream

Zack,

Nice Sketch!

Those look like "J" series Esterbrooks, they're good pens. Be warned that one or both might need a new ink sac (unless you bought them from someone who restored them.) Otherwise they'll last forever.

The 9128 will be a bit finer point than the 1555 (with a light touch) and of course it will be flexible. Probably not nearly as flexy as the Waterman, of course.

I haven't tried Noodler's yet, but the Platinum Carbon ink feels nearly as dense as India ink to me. I've also been known to use Koh-i-noor "Ultradraw" or "Universal Black India" in fountain pens, but don't do that unless you're willing to clean out the pen every few days. Pelikan has a "Fount India" that might also be good and probably also requires regular cleaning.

I wouldn't risk India-style ink in the Waterman pen, but the Esterbrooks are pretty safe - if the feed gets irreparably clogged you can just screw in a new nib and feed.

Oh, you might also want to stop by the WetCanvas forums (www.wetcanvas.com) - they have a pretty active pen & ink forum that I've found helpful, and I'm sure the folks there (including me) would love to see more of your work.

Good luck!

P. S. While I'm complimenting drawings, the examples posted by Hawk and Born earlier in this thread are excellent!

Michael Moncur

Thanks, Mmoncur.

I appreciate that.

I am actually getting a bit frustrated with the way the Noodler's is soaking into the paper, so your post is both timely and helpful.

Love the way the Waterman draws though. The Esterbrook 1555 is nice, despite zero flex.

Apparently Art Spiegelman created Maus using a Pelikan w/a custom flex nib, and India Ink. I'm guessing he must've used their Fount India you mentioned, as I'm sure putting something like Higgin's Black Magic through a fountain pen would destroy it pretty quickly. I know Tony Millionare uses a fountain pen as well, but I don't know what kind of pen or ink.

I've heard good things about the Platinum Carbon. Spendy though, eh?

God, I've been spoiled w/the cheapness of dip pens and Higgin's.

Noodler's gets a lot of props, and sounds like it fairs well in the waterproof dept, but it really just soaks into the sketch paper I'm using too much.

I tried it on some bristol board, and it seemed to sit better, but I can't afford to do all my drawings on bristol;)

Takes a lot longer to dry than India as well, which is dangerous/eliminates the advantages of not having to dip/being able to draw continuously.

I haven't cleaned any of the pens yet, but I should do that just for practice. Just feed the pen like you would for ink, but use water, correct?

Ah, and the Esterbrooks were both restored by the fellow who owned them. Quite nice. One is a bit shorter than the other, so I assume it's a ladies model, or something like that.

I'm really eager to check out a Pelikan. The early model of the 120, in particular. An M200 w/a custom flex nib from Mr. Binder sounds like the proverbial bees' knees, but I could buy a pile of old Esterbrooks for the same price. Of course the price 120s seem to be going on eBay now is almost as much as buying a new M200 from Binder.

Wish I could afford both. We'll see how ahead of the game I am financially after the holidays:)

Looks like I've cracked into a spendy new hobby.

xoxoxoxo

Zack

P.S. Thanks for the tip on Wet Canvas. I'll shoot over there, soon as I get the chance.

xo

z

Higgins Fountain Pen India Ink goes down very dark, has a nice, clean, sharp edge, suitable for reproduction. Quite safe so long as one is careful not to let it dry out and washes the pen out regularly. Inexpensive too.

badicecream said:

>If only the Higgins were waterproof.

AIUI, it uses carbon particles for pigment, so IME is about as waterproof as sumi-e ink for the most part --- this may depend on the paper, esp. any ``size'' on it, which is why it's labeled as ``non-waterproof''.

William