Italian Designers...

christof

A few Visconti pens hanging around with a few Stipulas hopefull on the way soon!

Visconti?

i'm in trouble with Visconti pens.. :crybaby:

fpn_1322334163__viscontialhambraa1.jpg

What did you do to that poor Alhambra?

D.ick

No, it isn't an Alhambra, but a rare Uffizi,

and i shoud like to say that i keep my pens in my cellar...

But it is not right: i conserve my pens in their boxes......... :bonk:

fpn_1322385571__viscontialhambraa2.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ambros

• eric47

• 79spitfire

• RMN

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few Visconti pens hanging around with a few Stipulas hopefull on the way soon!

Visconti?

D.ick

So what did you do to the box? Did it survive an earthquake?

Must have been a nice pen. Once......

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Visconti?

D.ick

So what did you do to the box? Did it survive an earthquake?

Must have been a nice pen. Once......

D.ick

That's sad :crybaby: Looks like the celluloid started deteriorating and caused the corrosion on the silver.

Uffizi on Ebay...

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

That's sad :crybaby: Looks like the celluloid started deteriorating and caused the corrosion on the silver.

I can't remember exactly how Ambros' Uffizi was stored. Ambros, ma era propria nella cantina? Per quanto tempo?

But my Voyager Anniversary Lapis also displays some rather unstable celluloid. It was stored 3-6 months* in a partially closed case -- or if you will, partially left open for outgasing of the celluloid. But after that time, it was wet to the touch and smelled like vinegar. Whatever is coming out of that celluloid caused the clip spring to rust and fail. It also caused the metal under the clip plating to oxidize which forced its way out on on top of the plating -- see the green stuff in the attached photo; just for fun it started to cause the same oxidation of the underlying metal on the Voyager clips next to it.

post-25763-0-34943700-1322425343.jpg

I check my pens regularly, mostly because I check the water level in the vintage pens with corks. I suspect had I not checked on the Voyager Anniversary for an extended period of time, it might look like Ambros' Uffizi, with the damage spreading to other celluloid Voyagers that were stored next to it.

There were other celluloid pens in the box, thankfully none showed significant damage. The Lapis however is only one that gets damp and stinky after a period of time; I shall check it more often and rinse it was well....that is, after I send it to Visconti and get it back with a new clip. In fact, the clip that failed is a replacement clip that Visconti about 2 years ago; all the older clips I have didn't fail -- but hey, they weren't in directly contact with that celluloid.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Celluloid has to be watched regular. So many things affect it, plus the way it was made to begin with has an effect on it's longevity. There is a page from the US Park service that covers the preservation of early plastic materials for museums. It has some helpful guidelines, but of course, cannot guarantee absolute preservation.

I have a Sheaffer Balance that constantly smells of camphor, I've not seen any deterioration yet, but I still worry.

Of course if the manufacture of the orriginal celluloid that any manufacture uses was made incorrectly or had a bad batch, there is almost nothing that can be done :(

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I can't remember exactly how Ambros' Uffizi was stored. Ambros, ma era propria nella cantina? Per quanto tempo?

But my Voyager Anniversary Lapis also displays some rather unstable celluloid. It was stored 3-6 months* in a partially closed case -- or if you will, partially left open for outgasing of the celluloid. But after that time, it was wet to the touch and smelled like vinegar. Whatever is coming out of that celluloid caused the clip spring to rust and fail. It also caused the metal under the clip plating to oxidize which forced its way out on on top of the plating -- see the green stuff in the attached photo; just for fun it started to cause the same oxidation of the underlying metal on the Voyager clips next to it.

post-25763-0-34943700-1322425343.jpg

I check my pens regularly, mostly because I check the water level in the vintage pens with corks. I suspect had I not checked on the Voyager Anniversary for an extended period of time, it might look like Ambros' Uffizi, with the damage spreading to other celluloid Voyagers that were stored next to it.

There were other celluloid pens in the box, thankfully none showed significant damage. The Lapis however is only one that gets damp and stinky after a period of time; I shall check it more often and rinse it was well....that is, after I send it to Visconti and get it back with a new clip. In fact, the clip that failed is a replacement clip that Visconti about 2 years ago; all the older clips I have didn't fail -- but hey, they weren't in directly contact with that celluloid.

Eric,

i have a Vojager with the same problem of your pen.....

And my Uffizi was stored for 10 years in box!!

And my other Visconti are perfect!

fpn_1322431895__visconticaravela1.jpg

fpn_1322432138__viscontigruppo.jpg

Celluloid has to be watched regular. So many things affect it, plus the way it was made to begin with has an effect on it's longevity. There is a page from the US Park service that covers the preservation of early plastic materials for museums. It has some helpful guidelines, but of course, cannot guarantee absolute preservation.

I have a Sheaffer Balance that constantly smells of camphor, I've not seen any deterioration yet, but I still worry.

Of course if the manufacture of the orriginal celluloid that any manufacture uses was made incorrectly or had a bad batch, there is almost nothing that can be done

I do check my pens regularly, and the rest of the celluloid pens stored in the same case or same manner were fine. I know what camphor smells like, and the Lapis Voyager did not smell like camphor (alone) -- it has a distinct vinegar smell. And that damp residue on the celluloid, I'd say acidic; for it the felling on my fingers was like the feeling after cutting and working with lemons.

I think the Visconti Lapis celluloid is particularly unstable in a manner different from my other celluloid pens, be they vintage or modern. It wouldn't surprise me if the green celluloid on the Uffizi is likewise problematic. The Coral doesn't seem to be problematic.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Eric,

i have a Vojager with the same problem of your pen.....

And my Uffizi was stored for 10 years in box!!

And my other Visconti are perfect!

Wow, 10 years and that's the results. I won't store my Viscontis with modern celluloid in a closed box like that.

All the other Viscontis in your photos are made of vintage celluloid -- after all these years, way more stable.

Well... I have Italian shoes, clothes, and pens... :roflmho:

... and food, and weather...

Must be something in your genes...

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~