Wall Storage For Ink Bottles

ershen

a spice rack similar to this has been moving around in our basement for years.. I moved it to my man cave to display my modest collection of ink. the bottom area works great for all those little sample.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/C/danbury_mint_hummel_spice_jars_and_giftware_display_rack_wood_P0000013284S0004T2.jpg

I too was heading down this route and am thinking of building something similar out of scrap oak or walnut boards I have laying around the garage. That is my wife seems to like this option the best. ;)

LOL ... yeah, I bet she does. My dad used to have wood stored in the garage when I was growing up and my mother would "reminds" him that it needed to either be used or put else where. He finally made a loft type deal over head in the garage and stored it up there, but before he did that, he defused the whole, "Get it out of the garage" thing by making her a small, very pretty wood box. Funny how she never brought it up again. LOL

I will make her a small square box with a hinged lid to store her favorite ink bottle on her desk. It should fend her off at least another year at least from me having to scrap the wood pile in the garage. :vbg:

Edited by ershen

Insanabile Scribendi Cacoethes

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• USMCMom

• ershen

• pen2paper

• raging.dragon

a spice rack similar to this has been moving around in our basement for years.. I moved it to my man cave to display my modest collection of ink. the bottom area works great for all those little sample.

http://images.replacements.com/images/images5/china/C/danbury_mint_hummel_spice_jars_and_giftware_display_rack_wood_P0000013284S0004T2.jpg

I too was heading down this route and am thinking of building something similar out of scrap oak or walnut boards I have laying around the garage. That is my wife seems to like this option the best. ;)

LOL ... yeah, I bet she does. My dad used to have wood stored in the garage when I was growing up and my mother would "reminds" him that it needed to either be used or put else where. He finally made a loft type deal over head in the garage and stored it up there, but before he did that, he defused the whole, "Get it out of the garage" thing by making her a small, very pretty wood box. Funny how she never brought it up again. LOL

I will make her a small square box with a hinged lid to store her favorite ink bottle on her desk. It should fend her off at least another year at least from me having to scrap the wood pile in the garage. :vbg:

She'll like that, but don't let her know you're making that for her ... let it be a surprise! Yes, it could very well buy you some time and at the worse ... well ... she may want you to make more boxes as gifts! LOL That too, buys you time. Tick ... tick ... tick .............

Vintage/antique apothocary cabinet

Vintage/antique library card catalogue cabinet

CD Storage shelves (option: add doors)

I just use a shelf on a Lawyers book case type case for my inks.

I'm thinking about converting a bookshelf for ink storage too. I need to move some stuff out of my workroom (home office) anyway, so that could be part of the motivation.

This thread kind of makes me want to cry because all I can think of is what would happen in an earthquake. :mellow:

Wall shelves kind of terrify me not matter what's on them. But little glass bottles filled with different colors of ink? Yikes.

Well, the shelves in my window ink display won't fall out. The bottles might, but they can be replaced. Sure might make a mess though.

This thread kind of makes me want to cry because all I can think of is what would happen in an earthquake. :mellow:

Wall shelves kind of terrify me not matter what's on them. But little glass bottles filled with different colors of ink? Yikes.

Living in Iowa I don't really worry about such things.

Earthquakes (at least of any noticeable magnitude) are very rare in Texas. Knock on wood of course. :P

Edited by ershen

Add a small lip to each shelf, so the bottles can't be shaken off the shelves by a minor or moderate earthquake. There's no point worry about the strongest quakes, as they're likely to take down the entire house.

Edited by raging.dragon

Okay here is the basic shelf (carcass) layout and measurements that I decided on. I used the free Google SketchUp to draw it up. I will work on the face frame to go over the carcass to make it look a little nicer sometime tonight. Haven't really decided what that will look like quite yet but most likely it will have a lip over each shelf to prevent the ink bottles from falling out of the shelves easily and a nice head frame with the words 'Fountain Pen' or something similar routed into the head frame. But I am open to any suggestion on what the face frame should look like and what to engrave into the top face frame. ;)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29435008/Ink%20Bottle%20Storage%20Shelf%20-%20Carcass.jpg

I use the small spice jar racks from Ikea, They are inexpensive and mount to the wall easily. They hold about 7 of the 4.5 OZ bottles each!

Increase your IQ, use Linux AND a Fountain pen!!http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/79spitfire/Neko_animated.gif
http://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/50/Fedorabutton-iusefedora.png

I had the same storage problem, so I converted an interior window. If I out grow this window ink display, guess I'll use the exterior window, by closing it up (no light to come through) and just make another window for my ink. I have an old house with tall ceilings and large windows. The window ink display is 7 ft tall by 36 in.

fpn_1320705369__ink_window_display.jpg

That goes way beyond WOW!

I love it, you could just sit back in your high backed roller chair and think; "hmm, which colour shall I ink This pen with today?". They are all visible and the white background is an excellent idea; clear, clean and neat.

Great collection of inks too!

Best regards,

Steve.

P.S. at the risk of my addiction showing, I would probably have them lined up in order of wavelength, going from reds, left, to violets on the right, and probably have all of the similar colours by different brands aligned vertically. Sorry, I've been without my pens for weeks now and I'm suffering serious withdrawal psychosis. :gaah:

Edited by SJH

I had the same storage problem, so I converted an interior window. If I out grow this window ink display, guess I'll use the exterior window, by closing it up (no light to come through) and just make another window for my ink. I have an old house with tall ceilings and large windows. The window ink display is 7 ft tall by 36 in.

fpn_1320705369__ink_window_display.jpg

That goes way beyond WOW!

I love it, you could just sit back in your high backed roller chair and think; "hmm, which colour shall I ink This pen with today?". They are all visible and the white background is an excellent idea; clear, clean and neat.

Great collection of inks too!

Best regards,

Steve.

P.S. at the risk of my addiction showing, I would probably have them lined up in order of wavelength, going from reds, left, to violets on the right, and probably have all of the similar colours by different brands aligned vertically. Sorry, I've been without my pens for weeks now and I'm suffering serious withdrawal psychosis. :gaah:

Thank you, Steve!

I love seeing the photos in this thread!

I picked this little shelf up at the flea market for $10. I only wish it had another shelf in the middle, where all that open space is! I keep this in a dark room. Mostly homemade inks and commercial iron gall inks are on top, and my current commercial inks in rotation are on the bottom.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6174/6177999685_c919bf3dec.jpg

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Maybe you could add a shelf?

I'm tempted to, though I'm not very confident I could match up the color just right.

Edited by fiberdrunk

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Okay, I threw the shelf together last night and decided on the following face frame. My thought is to engrave/route the words 'Fountain Pen Ink' into the top face frame. Then next step would be to either stain it dark cherry, red oak, or walnut. What do you think? :hmm1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29435008/Ink%20Bottle%20Storage%20Shelf%20P1.jpg

Maybe you could add a shelf?

I'm tempted to, though I'm not very confident I could match up the color just right.

I'm no wood working wizard, but it looks like a sealer or varnish of some sort over raw wood or possibly a stain. If you are able to take it to a reputable paint store or even a good home improvement store, they should be able to tell you what was used. Hard to tell for sure from the picture.

Okay, I threw the shelf together last night and decided on the following face frame. My thought is to engrave/route the words 'Fountain Pen Ink' into the top face frame. Then next step would be to either stain it dark cherry, red oak, or walnut. What do you think? :hmm1:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29435008/Ink%20Bottle%20Storage%20Shelf%20P1.jpg

I like it!!!