Learning The Palmer Method Of Business Writing

DLindenbaum

Yes, I realize its been a long time since I last posted, in this forum. And, I apologize. I want to take up learning the Palmer method (again), but with a few (personal choice) letter changes. May I still participate in this forum, or should I create a new one? Also, how is everyone else doing, in regard to practice (or in my case, lack thereof). I haven't had time in the past, to really sit down and practice. I've just been using my "normal" hand. So, it looks like I start at square one.

Also, I don't know if I am looking at the picture correctly, but in the book, it looks like the children are siting at sloped writing school desks. Did anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Would it be considered "cheating" if I used a sloped writing desk, or does the table have to be flat?

I don't know what picture you're looking at, but the school desks that I remember sitting at in grade school (northern Indiana, 1950s) had a narrow horizontal strip across the front of the desk (with a hole for the non-existent inkwell), and then the work surface sloped down toward the student. It wasn't a steep slope, but there was a slope. This surface could be lifted to reveal a storage area for books, pencils, frogs, etc. To this day I'm more comfortable writing on a sloped desk top than I am at a horizontal surface.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thang1thang2

• vivere

• fast14riot

• Mickey

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huh, thanks to this thread, I realized that the "cursive" I was taught in school was actually the Palmer method. I'm going to practice a little more before posting :D.

I'll keep on struggling, 'cause that's the measure of a man.

Hey guys! I have a question: What is your opinion on a left-handed person taking up the Palmer method? Is that feasible or should they pursue another method of handwriting? Thanks! :)

Hey guys! I have a question: What is your opinion on a left-handed person taking up the Palmer method? Is that feasible or should they pursue another method of handwriting? Thanks! :)

I am left handed and pursuing it. I don't think what hand you use, matters. As long as you follow the rest of the book. Speaking of, how does one determine when to move on to the next drill?

Ayla,

Most methods of business penmanship are quite similar really. Nearly all of them focus on arm movement; finger action is often discouraged and denounced.

I have read in some books... as for movements, and/or drills, you need to practice them a lot. And study them equally as long. Try to mimic and acquire the form of the letter or movement drill as you go.

Its not easy to qualitatively determine how much practise you need - some books say 2-3 or perhaps even four pages of exercises. Penmanship is seldom about the numbers, its more about the quality of your work... IMO, I think you should practice the drills until you can nearly emulate the exemplar completely for an entire page. Then once you feel that you are satisfied with your work, move on to the next drill. From time to time, I suggest coming back to a random drill and seeing if you remember the movements, that way you can review your work and train you hand. Every day, practice some new drills as well as some old ones too.

Last note - I find myself sharply critical of my work, so I am seldom satisfied with the drills. Just remember to stay focused on the drills! It may feel really boring, and its often fun to try out letters with a jelly, elastic arm after warming up...

Interestingly, I am also left handed.

In Ornamental Writing, the beauty of light line and shade must be harmonious.

... The best ornamental penmen write each word one letter at a time, the best they can, the same as you do.

• 2 weeks later...

How do I select the proper guide sheet to be used? There are loads here and I'm not exactly sure which I should use.

I respect and like this post a lot. I'm only in high school, and I practice calligraphy and penmanship most everyday. I for one find Palmer Method cursive to be atrocious, and instead prefer Spencerian script and Business penmanship. I get compliments from teachers and friends pretty often on my penmanship. If you want to learn check out how to write American Cursive by Michael Sull. It'll help you with it more than you could imagine.

I respect and like this post a lot. I'm only in high school, and I practice calligraphy and penmanship most everyday. I for one find Palmer Method cursive to be atrocious, and instead prefer Spencerian script and Business penmanship. I get compliments from teachers and friends pretty often on my penmanship. If you want to learn check out how to write American Cursive by Michael Sull. It'll help you with it more than you could imagine.

What diferences do you find between Palmer and American Cursive? To me Palmer is just another instance of American Cursive, along with Edward Mills' and others.

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

What diferences do you find between Palmer and American Cursive? To me Palmer is just another instance of American Cursive, along with Edward Mills' and others.

The root of the American cursive tree is Spencer. Mills, Palmer, Noble, et al. are all descendents. If you ignore the majuscules, the differences are minor. Palmer's brilliance was marketing more than penmanship.

The liberty of the press is indeed essential to the nature of a free state; but this consists in laying no previous restraints upon publications, and not in freedom from censure for criminal matter when published. Every freeman has an undoubted right to lay what sentiments he pleases before the public; to forbid this, is to destroy the freedom of the press; but if he publishes what is improper, mischievous or illegal, he must take the consequence of his own temerity. (4 Bl. Com. 151, 152.) Blackstone's Commentaries

The root of the American cursive tree is Spencer. Mills, Palmer, Noble, et al. are all descendents. If you ignore the majuscules, the differences are minor. Palmer's brilliance was marketing more than penmanship.

Exactly, that's what I thought,

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

• 1 year later...

Always admired the Palmer method, wanted to learn, but am handicapped by southpaw-ness.

South--paw ness is not a handicap. Some of the most celebrated Spencerian penmen were left-handed. I do not accept it as a handicap, "do not tell the man who is attempting the feat that it is impossible."

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

I've just been to IAMPETH two days ago and downloaded the book by Mary Champion. To be honest, I find she explains Palmer better than Palmer ...

I think business writing is simply gorgeous and practical enough to use it in everyday writing. I just still have to force myself to do the whole 'muscular movement' thing, but count me in!

This is a great idea for a thread, and doing it together is much more motivating :smile:

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to comment to keep a record. I downloaded the Mary Champion book also and find I can actually follow it, I couldn't with the Palmer edition.

So thanks for the link after all these years.

"Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr

You can view the original 1894 Palmer Guide to Business Writing here.

http://www.ancestryinsider.org/2008/07/indexing-tips-palmer-method.html

Click the link in the second paragraph, for some reason a direct link doesn't seem to work.

The handwriting in the 1935 manual looks a lot better to me. It was written after Palmer's death so maybe it's not his writing at all. I might be wrong and his writing improved with age.

I still much prefer the Mary Carpenter book. It's much easier to use, and it's downloadable in PDF (or several other) format so it's one page after the other, no linking back and forth for pages.

First and foremost I would like to thank smk's thread Learning Copperplate... for giving me the idea of making one about learning the Palmer Method of Business Writing.

An Introduction

My name is D Lindenbaum. I'm an artist whom is thirteen-years-old and has a website thelindenbaums.com where I hope you may look at. I believe, even at my young age, that good penmanship is important. I see many of my friends at school and, no offence, their handwriting is atrocious! Not many do cursive regularly besides me and some few others.

The Palmer Method of Business Writing

I have decided, not quite long ago, that I want to learn the Palmer Method of Business Writing for I want to improve my penmanship and, quite actually, enjoy writing with my dear Parker Frontier fountain pen and paper by my side. My birthday was just several days ago--November 1--and I asked my dad if he should buy me a red leather diary from Eccolo. He did, but I have not yet started one entry for my dad is buying some Parker black ink refill cartridges that should arrive within a few days. For now I am using blue ink cartridges that I do not know the name of.

What You Can Do

Don't just sit there! You too can come and join in the experience of learning the Palmer Method.

1.I hope that others will join in and we'll all learn in a collaborative manner - critiquing, advising and supporting each other.

2.I also hope to receive advice from members who are experienced in this hand from time to time.

(Thank you smk for these two statements.)

Examples/Guidance

I have been using the lessons on palmermethod.com and iampeth.com for guidance on instructing the method.

I have been practicing before this thread was even made, but with my desire for sharing my progress I made this thread inspired by smk.

Here's an example picture of my writing after I practiced the method.

http://i42.tinypic.com/vdqas.jpg

How long have you spent time from starting Palmer method ?? You writing is good.

I believe DLinderbaum is about 17 now. This post originated in Nov 2011. I would be curious if he is still active.

Edited by Inkfillet

I believe DLinderbaum is about 17 now. This post originated in Nov 2011. I would be curious if he is still active.

DLinderbaum is a "she," according to her profile. She was last on FPN Dec. 24, 2011, not quite two months after she joined.

David

• 8 years later...

I am attempting to improve my handwriting.

To that end, I have downloaded a copy of the 1919 version of ‘Palmer’s Penmanship Budget’.

I have got to page 11, and am looking at ‘Lesson 4’.
This lesson consists of the two most-basic exercises in pen-handling; the movements whose mastery is absolutely necessary, because the two underpin the whole of the Palmer system of ‘Business Writing’.

With my customary unique ability to identify problems where nobody else can see any problem at all, I have noticed what seems to me to be an important omission in the instructions, and so I now need to ask anyone who has practised the Palmer method for guidance….

Practicing the initial series of slanted lines is explained well-enough, but then we come on to the next bit; drawing the series of overlapping ovals.

In which direction am I meant to practise drawing them - the clockwise direction, or the anti-clockwise direction?

My thanks in advance to anyone who can identify this BASIC information for me.

Slàinte,
M.

P.S. I note also that the text underneath the picture of the completed ovals refers the reader to diagrams that it says are on page eighteen. They are not on page eighteen. They are on page ten.
Whoever proof-read the draft of this book prior to its publication clearly performed his task with the assiduousness of a slapdash scapegrace 😠

large.Mercia45x27IMG_2024-09-18-104147.PNG.4f96e7299640f06f63e43a2096e76b6e.PNG  Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.  spacer.png

As someone who had Palmer training in American grammer school 50+ years ago my hand memory says counter-clockwise.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams