Got Some Real Sepia From Squid Ink Sac

SamCapote

Well DCPritch is going a more complete Sepia review, but I agree the R&K is one of the nicer Sepias. I just did a quick addition to two of the above pages making a box with a Kaweco Medium (more like a Fine), including the 20 second rinse second scan where it holds up well.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Sepia5s.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Sepia6s.jpg

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SamCapote

• Gobblecup

• Chevalier

• 79spitfire

Just ordered the dark ink also, it was surprisingly easy after I figured out the online inquiry form (didn't read the part where it says to put in email address twice...).

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just ordered my Dark Sepia ink from Hakase by e-mail. Responses from the company were practically instantaneous, and though there was a bit of a language barrier at times, in the end, everything worked out very smoothly. I was a bit taken aback when the owner of the company wrote me that they have to include a "dangerous product proof" with the shipment, but I guess it's standard to have an MSDS with shipments of ink.

I can't wait for it to arrive.

Is there any pen I should NOT use this in? I have a Montblanc 149, a few Stipulas, a Pelikan M700 Toledo, a Namiki Maki-e, an Omas 360...all M nibs. Oh, and I have some Noodler's Ahab Flex pens waiting for me when I return to NY.

Assuming the ink arrives OK, I want to consider ordering a Hakase pen. Can anyone give me an idea of the price level? You can respond by PM if you prefer, of course. I simply understand they are not inexpensive and one must wait a long time.

Thanks!!

David

De Atramentis Havana I got with in the last two weeks, and I had not really tired it in I was messing with ESSR or saving pens for it.

It was a very light brown...I didn't think 'sepia', I thought it more the color of a nice cigar.

It's good to know R&K Sepia is a good one. It is also for me a local ink.

Thanks Sam for showing us what the real thing looks like.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

Ransom Bucket cost me many of my pictures taken by a poor camera that was finally tossed. Luckily, the Chicken Scratch pictures also vanished.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Inks/Sepia-1.jpg

What beautiful bottle!

Mike :blush:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Hmm...I expected the ink to be a little darker.

By the way, squid ink pasta is delicious! Can't quite describe it...just imagine a hint of sea water saltiness and freshness...err...lost my line of thought there. You'll just have to try it. It sounds and looks weird but trust me, you have no idea what you're missing out on. But the squid has to be fresh....otherwise I just can't help you there.The first time I tried it was in a small cafe in Melbourne. The waiters were probably thinking I won't be able to stomach it because the first thing they asked me after I wolfed down the plate was, "How do you feel?" roflmho.gif

What's next, Sea Urchin Roe Creme Yellow? That'd make for one expensive bottle of ink!

One of the best meals I've ever had was in a little trattoria in Venice, and it involved Calimari alla Veneta, which is made with grilled squid, tomatoes, capers, basil and pine nuts over pasta. Yummmmmmmmmm!

Okay, back on topic. What a wonderful ink find! I think that it's interesting that all the sepia-like inks are more red or copper than the real thing.