Celluloid

Namo

Not the best pics per se, I don't have any sort of professional set up and it was sunny today. Photographing anything semi reflective on a sunny day doesn't work the best.

American celluloid pen pic spam:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/LilPagette/P1020085.jpg

Esties in many colors and sizes.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/LilPagette/P1020086.jpg

Three Eversharps

L to R: Bantam, Doric, Skyline (the Henry Dreyfuss pen)

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/LilPagette/P1020089.jpg

Parker Vacs

Debutante and DuoVac

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/LilPagette/P1020088.jpg

Two more Parkers

Challenger Deluxe and Parkette

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/LilPagette/P1020090.jpg

The two oddballs

Waterman Lady Patrician and dinky Sheaffer Lifetime Balance

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/LilPagette/P1020091.jpg

The Duofolds

L to R

True Blue long, Jade streamlined, Red Jr., (not celluloid) BHR Lady

I'd rather spend my money on pens instead of shoes and handbags.

>>> My Blog <<<

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eric47

• Namo

• AltecGreen

• H. Lime

Altec, your pens are gorgeous!! So is that Omas Paragon Celluloid (http://tinyurl.com/422y7du).

Are you guys saying that one can't buy a a new pen made of celluloid?

If only vintage are available, anyone have an idea of when celluloid was last used (whether US, Europe or Asia).

This is a great thread.

Also, how does the celluloid pen feel differently from, say, a resin pen?

In Italy,

Omas and Montegrappa have current production models in cellulose nitrate. Stipula uses cellulose acetate.

Delta makes LE pens from celluloid.

Basically, many of the big Italian companies have stock of celluloid rods. So pens could be made. For example, Delta made celluloid pens for Bryant Greer, the evil pen purveyor.

In Japan,

Platinum and Nakaya have standard production models in the 3776 body as well as a larger style.

Kato Seisakusho made very inexpensive celluloid pens. With the passing of Mr. Kato Kiyoshi, it is unclear if production is continuing.

Other than that you have custom makers producing pens upon request. This is usually constrained by availability of the celluloid rods. Also, companies like Bexley have made limited editions from the 90's Tibaldi material. The 90's Tibaldi material gets around.

The reason more celluloid pens are not made is that the cost of new material is very high and one has to place a very large order to have anything made. Dante Del Vecchio the owner of Visconti says it costs 150 euros/kilo for new material. You need 200-300g of material per pen and the minimum order is 30K-40K euros.

As for vintage pens, the era of celluloid varies depending on country and the company. Companies began switching to celluloid from hard rubber in the 1920's with pioneering companies like LeBoeuf.

As for the end, 1950's seem to be a turning point. Both fashion and economy drove people away from celluloid towards plastics that could be injection molded. The Parker 51 came into the market in 1941 and used Lucite. In the 1950's many pen companies were going under and many switched to injection molded plastic. For example, Columbus stopped using celluloid in 1952 and focused on economy pens while Omas continued using celluloid into the 60's. In the 90's there was a celluloid revival.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Actually,those older Viscontis are nice,but I don't recognize the "candystripe"

versions or most of them--with the exception of the red one on the right and

the red Pontevecchio(my favorite color out of the three PV colors).

BTW Eric,do you use those glass nibs? How well do they write?

In the first set of photos -- the ones without the Ragtimes, the pens are:

1 - 3: Classic

4: Replica

5: D'Essai -- has a special name I can't remember now, not part of the D'Essai LE run of pens.

6-10: D'Essai (various colors)

11: Pontevecchio standard (non-LE)

12: Viscontina.

Are the candy-stripe pens 1 and 2? That's called pine needles celluloid.

Glass nibs, sure I write with them, when they write. ;) Flow is tricky. It's usually 0, 50, or 100%. When flow is good, they write a nice wettish (but not gushing) F line. Pretty smooth, although it's not uncommon to have a side that catches -- can be smoothed with micromesh. Glass nibs however are quite rigid, no flex. :D

The pine needles celluloid is very similar to the "hatch" or "candystripe" found on

Canadian/Danish Televisors(I have one in gray) and Parker Valentines and Victories.

I do find the pine needles intertesting,though.

BTW,I thought it might be interesting to use a glass nib pen,but from what you're

telling me a flexed glass nib will leave nib glass flecks..............:D

John

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

AltecGreen

Thanks for the information. I'll be on the lookout for nice Omases, although that tortoiseshell celluloid Nakaya looks great (and doesn't cost and arm and a leg, either [compared to the Omas, i.e.]).

A bit of a shame that it's not a piston-filler, though.

Edited by H. Lime

A fool and his money are soon parted: Montegrappa 300, Waterman Expert II, Omas Ogiva Autunno, Omas 555/S, Omas 557/S, Omas Ogiva Scarlet, Waterman Patrician Agate, Montblanc 144 (lost :(), Omas Ogiva Arco Brown (flex), Omas 360 Arco Brown, Delta Sevivon (stub), Montblanc 146 (1950s), Omas 360 Grey (stub), Omas 360 Wild (stub), Swan M2

AltecGreen

Thanks for the information. I'll be on the lookout for nice Omases, although that tortoiseshell celluloid Nakaya looks great (and doesn't cost and arm and a leg, either [compared to the Omas, i.e.]).

Look for one of the celluloid Platinum 70th Anniversary pens. They are piston fillers.

Piston fillers are overrated. The first time your Omas has a blown seal or broken mechanism, you will wish you had a C/C pen.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I shall take your word for it (and I hope not to have a first-hand experience). Well, leaks are never fun. I've had a few cartridges and converters leaking into the barrel and it's not a pleasant experience.

A fool and his money are soon parted: Montegrappa 300, Waterman Expert II, Omas Ogiva Autunno, Omas 555/S, Omas 557/S, Omas Ogiva Scarlet, Waterman Patrician Agate, Montblanc 144 (lost :(), Omas Ogiva Arco Brown (flex), Omas 360 Arco Brown, Delta Sevivon (stub), Montblanc 146 (1950s), Omas 360 Grey (stub), Omas 360 Wild (stub), Swan M2

Altec, your pens are gorgeous!! So is that Omas Paragon Celluloid (http://tinyurl.com/422y7du).

Are you guys saying that one can't buy a a new pen made of celluloid?

If only vintage are available, anyone have an idea of when celluloid was last used (whether US, Europe or Asia).

This is a great thread.

Also, how does the celluloid pen feel differently from, say, a resin pen?

In Italy,

Omas and Montegrappa have current production models in cellulose nitrate. Stipula uses cellulose acetate.

Delta makes LE pens from celluloid.

Basically, many of the big Italian companies have stock of celluloid rods. So pens could be made. For example, Delta made celluloid pens for Bryant Greer, the evil pen purveyor.

In Japan,

Platinum and Nakaya have standard production models in the 3776 body as well as a larger style.

Kato Seisakusho made very inexpensive celluloid pens. With the passing of Mr. Kato Kiyoshi, it is unclear if production is continuing.

Other than that you have custom makers producing pens upon request. This is usually constrained by availability of the celluloid rods. Also, companies like Bexley have made limited editions from the 90's Tibaldi material. The 90's Tibaldi material gets around.

The reason more celluloid pens are not made is that the cost of new material is very high and one has to place a very large order to have anything made. Dante Del Vecchio the owner of Visconti says it costs 150 euros/kilo for new material. You need 200-300g of material per pen and the minimum order is 30K-40K euros.

As for vintage pens, the era of celluloid varies depending on country and the company. Companies began switching to celluloid from hard rubber in the 1920's with pioneering companies like LeBoeuf.

As for the end, 1950's seem to be a turning point. Both fashion and economy drove people away from celluloid towards plastics that could be injection molded. The Parker 51 came into the market in 1941 and used Lucite. In the 1950's many pen companies were going under and many switched to injection molded plastic. For example, Columbus stopped using celluloid in 1952 and focused on economy pens while Omas continued using celluloid into the 60's. In the 90's there was a celluloid revival.

Altec, I didn't have the chance to get back to FPN till now and tell you how much I appreciate all this information. It's a big part of the fun and satisfaction for me. The actual pens are interesting and wonderful but so is their history/historical context. Many thanks!

I am really surpised only one person has mentioned vintage Sheaffer celluloids, they are quite stunning. My favorite is the striped celluloids specifically the Carmine.

Here is a picture of my green striped Balance.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/PenIsMightier/IMG_8663.jpg

Also great name H. Lime! I haven't seen The Third Man in quite awhile great movie!

edited to add photo

Edited by Pen Is Mightier

The Pen Is Mightier than the sword.

Look for one of the celluloid Platinum 70th Anniversary pens. They are piston fillers.

Piston fillers are overrated. The first time your Omas has a blown seal or broken mechanism, you will wish you had a C/C pen.

AltecGreen, sounds like a rationalization for some of those beautiful (Japanese) but C/C pens. ;)

Bum seal and broken mechanism, been there, done that -- but probably only about 4 times. However, when it happened it didn't make me wish I had C/C pens. Why? Because I have other Omas pens to use. :bunny01:

H. Lime, if you don't mind the used market, e.g. looking around on eBay, sometimes Omas celluloid Paragons show up at very interesting prices. A bit of patience and luck is required; and you can't be picky about the celluloid or whether it has the original box. Just saw a first version pearl gray (in the incorrect box) close for eur 213 a few days ago. I've seen some colors go for even less, sometimes on poorly priced BIN -- that's where a bit of luck comes in. But if you want say an Arco Green, then prepared to pay a bit more.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Omas Bronze Arco...

I have one, and the depth and luminosity are astonishing...

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Omas%20website%20pics/CelluloidArco2006MilordHTUncapped.jpg

(pic taken from nibs.com)

Too many pens; too little writing.

Omas Bronze Arco...

I have both the modern Arco brown and green. Still, I prefer my vintage Arco Gray (photos posted above) in part because it's transparent through the thin lines -- works just like an ink window. :)

It's actually might clearer in real life when light passes straight through the pen, e.g. held up to the light. Photo below taken at a downward angle, with the pen resting on paper.

fpn_1299914562__556f_transparency.jpg

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Omas Bronze Arco...

http://nibs.com/www/WEBSITE%20PICS/Omas%20website%20pics/CelluloidArco2006MilordHTUncapped.jpg

This celluloid is absolutely stunning. It really shimmers and reflects light and each tilt reveals more pattern and depth. It is gorgeous in photos, but it is even more beautiful in person. I think if I had one I'd spend a lot of time staring at my pen...lost in the shimmering depths of the celluloid :embarrassed_smile:

[

AltecGreen, sounds like a rationalization for some of those beautiful (Japanese) but C/C pens. ;)

No need for rationalization. I really don't think about filling systems that much. I buy Japanese pens for the super fine nibs and the wonderful flexy wartime steel nibs. Then there's usushi and maki-e.

Besides, only my modern Japanese pens are C/C. Half of my collection is vintage and those are mostly levers and Japanese ED.

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

[

No need for rationalization. I really don't think about filling systems that much. I buy Japanese pens for the super fine nibs and the wonderful flexy wartime steel nibs. Then there's usushi and maki-e.

Besides, only my modern Japanese pens are C/C. Half of my collection is vintage and those are mostly levers and Japanese ED.

Yeah I figured. I usually use filling system as the first criterion -- helps keep my collection more under control or at least I like to thnk so. :D

'Overrated' seems overly strong. I think all systems have their pro and con -- and no let's not turn this onto yet another thread about which is best. One takes the bad with the good no matter the choice.

eric47

Thanks for the tip. I'm not a collector (yet?), but it does no harm to have a look now and then.

'Overrated' seems overly strong. I think all systems have their pro and con -- and no let's not turn this onto yet another thread about which is best. One takes the bad with the good no matter the choice.

You are no fun.

Besides, being better or worse has no bearing on being overrated.

Come on people. Work with me here. :roflmho:

August 28-30th, 2020
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

You are no fun.

Besides, being better or worse has no bearing on being overrated.

Come on people. Work with me here. :roflmho:

Yeah you've found the awful truth about me.

Better or worse are comparitives. I was speaking of good and bad, which some people allow in a judgments of how things rate.

Maybe there isn't a huge rush to help you because people in this thread realize what a kludge a (piston!) converter really is. ;)

If you use the search engine you can find any number of threads that debate ad nauseum which fillings system is the best, worst, overrated, undervalued, etc. Feel free to resurrect any of those...

Come on how about some more photos of celluloid pens? That's more entertaining, no matter the filling system.

Edited by eric47

Omas Bronze Arco...

I think if I had one I'd spend a lot of time staring at my pen...lost in the shimmering depths of the celluloid :embarrassed_smile:

Yup... that would be my day yesterday (daydreaming instead of writing)...

Too many pens; too little writing.