Staples Rolla Notebook

dwmatteson

I just received two Rolla notebooks, junior size (8.5x5.5 inches / 21x15 cm), from Staples. These notebooks are just branded Rollabind notebooks, similar to Levenger's Circa notebooks.

The paper is fairly heavy, though not as heavy or smooth as Ampad Gold Fibre (20 lb.) or Black n' Red. There's also a little bit of feathering, but not very much. (I was writing using a Parker 51 demi, fine-medium nib, with Waterman blue-black.)

The notebooks themselves are cloth over cardboard. One of the two notebooks I received was well-constructed, the other less so. The less well-built notebook has a gap where two different colored cloths meet up on the cover, and the end paper inside the front cover is not well attached. (A minute with a hot glue gun will fix that.)

The paper is easily removed and replaced, which is very convenient. The dividers are also moved easily, but they're not so loosely attached that they're likely to fall out on their own.

The notebooks include a tab-divider, a slash-pocket divider (presumably for receipts and such), a business card insert for three cards, a ruler with a tab-top (good for marking your current page), and 70 sheets of ruled paper. Replacement paper is available, and paper punches can be purchased separately so you can insert other pages or cards.

The Rolla notebook seems like a good concept with a little room for improvement. With slightly higher quality paper and some better quality control, these could be really great.

With the purchase of a punch, some time, a paper cutter, and a ream of 32 lb HP laser printer paper, a sufficiently motivated person could easily swap in some half-size sheets, though they might run a bit close to the top and bottom edges of the covers. (The paper measures approximately 8.25x5.5 inches / cm.)

All in all, a pretty good notebook. Available through staples.com for US$6.28 each; refill paper available for US$3.88 for 70 sheets.

Standard disclaimers apply: no affiliation with Rollabind, Staples, Parker, Waterman, Hewlett-Packard, or any other brands that I mentioned. No animals were harmed in testing these notebooks.

Don M.

Edited by dwmatteson

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dwmatteson

• a11en

• WillAdams

• lovemy51

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Rolla notebook seems like a good concept with a little room for improvement. With slightly higher quality paper and some better quality control, these could be really great.

That would be Levenger's Circa, or was, last time I bought them. Bummer if that's changed (see recent discussions here).

William

That would be Levenger's Circa, or was, last time I bought them. Bummer if that's changed (see recent discussions here).

William

Hi William -

I haven't used the Levenger Circa notebooks (just can't justify spending so much on a notebook I can get for less), so I can't speak to their paper. If it's the same as the Rolla paper, then they're even more overpriced. The Rolla paper is okay, but for the prices Levenger charges, the paper had better practically write for me. :)

I've noticed that Levenger now list their Circa notebooks on the web page as Levenger Rollabind Circa notebooks (see the title bar for the web page).

It's also worth mentioning that there are a lot of options if you shop at the Rollabind web site itself.

Don M.

I picked up a Rollabind/Circa style notebook a while back from WH Smith (UK stationery chain). It was their own brand.

Unfortunately, I think it's let down by the covers - they're flexible plastic, and the pages don't turn easily unless they're flat. Without firm covers to hold things straight, the system doesn't seem to work. It's not too bad when on a desk, but difficult to use when holding it in your hands.

Michael Randall :: PigPog - Cult Pens (UK)

I once made my own cover for a Circa notebook--I glued book board to the plastic cover then covered everything (except the edge that holds the rings) with decorative paper. It works quite well.

I did it as an experiment in a bookbinding class--it is helpful to have bookbinding stuff like the right glues, spreaders, etc.

Isn't sanity really a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking! But when you're good and crazy . . . ooh hoo hoo hoo! . . . the sky's the limit!

--The Tick

The Circa paper which I bought (many years ago) works quite nicely w/ fountain pens.

Even if it hasn't changed, they've discontinued the size which I'm almost out of....

William

Hey guys! I've been looking high and low for Rollas here in town. Did you buy the Rollabind from your local Staples? For the life of me, I can't find them anywhere. :(

Although, I know that they have them online...

-Allen

Hi Allen -

Got mine online. I don't have a local Staples. Nearest one to me is in Rochester, NY (about an hour's drive).

Don M.

Thanks, Don! I appreciate it. I'll likely buy one or two for my work. The ability to change things around is something that I'm learning I really like.

Thank you!

-Allen

• 2 weeks later...

The nearest Staples to me is at least a forty-minute drive. I had to go by it yesterday on my way back from a conference. I stopped and went in to look for the Rollabind and some Ampad notebooks. The covers of the Rollabinds looked warped. Instead of being flat, the middle looked sunk in, and the outer right edge was over a half inch raised off the paper. Is this normal for the Rollabind?

BTW, for those of you searching high and low at their local Staples... I have to mention that I chatted with the manager of our local store. She mentioned that product is shipped out to Staples stores in tiers depending on what their sales-volume is. Since my store is not an upper tier store, they have fewer products to offer... meaning no Rollabinds. Drat.

So, that might be at least a partial answer to those who can't find them. ;) [Like me.]

-Allen

• 4 years later...

FYI, if anyone unterested... Staples has their own rolla/circa system. the one with the M as logo. waaaaay better paper than the rollabind!! just picked up mine today (8 1/2 x 11). :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

There is one other brand of disc-based notebooks, myndology. I found it in a local stationery store (McWhorters), and it has bright, playful covers and FP friendly paper. I use the index card size for my pen/ink notes. I bought their products a couple of years ago, but I just checked, they are still available.

http://www.myndology.com/

post-8871-0-49789300-1293048225.jpg post-8871-0-82357800-1293048246.jpg

"I'm sorry, I don't let anyone borrow my pen."